Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
you can but it will be a flight each way and you wont have much time to look around think you may do better on the mainland somewhere in the south
just looked on the map they are about the same flying time the nerest island to the mainland is Evia ( i dont know if holidays are avilable there)
i sujest you look on a map of Greece to give you a better idea

wizard
Skiathos is another island closer to mainland Greece and there are flights from them, again, I don't know how long it would take, you may not get much time at Athens, you'll probably be better off staying on the mainland
i have been on a trip to athens from the island of zante..you can also travel to athens independantly from there, about a 1 hour ferry journey, then about 4 or 5 hours by bus, if i remeber right..buses go everyday from the town....and trips run about twice a week i think
Two other islands to think about are Agistri and Aegina. The boat from Agistri takes about 90 minutes to Piraeus and from Aegina only an hour.

Once in Piraeus the Athens metro whisks you into the city centre in about 25 minutes.

Travel companies in the UK sell holidays to both islands with your aircarft landing in Athens then you are taken by ferry to the islands. It is a great way to relax and enjoy the island atmosphere and be close enough to Athens for a day trip or two.
You can do what we usually do. Stay in Aegina (try Vanna Apartments, lovely people and rooms) for a few days to visit Athens and then go to another island for relaxation later. Not that Aegina isn't fairly relaxing! :lol:
I would personally not try to visit Athens from Rhodes. It would be one hour on an internal flight & expensive. If a visit to Athens is high on your priorities try another holiday on the mainland next time & visit from there.

One of the reasons I say this is because you cannot do a visit justice in the amount of time you will have available to look around. If you do it from nearby you can probably to do it via an orgnaised tour; believe me Athens is a very big place.

Have a look at a place called Tolo or Tolon on the mainland with Kosmar; should be able to pick up a brochure from most travel agents. Went 2 years ago & really enjoyed it. Plenty of restaurants & bars without being too English. Greeks tend to holiday there & English who know a good thing and go back year after year.

Plenty to see & do nearby including Athens.
If you're not set on a package holiday - why not go Easyjet to Athens, spend a couple of nights there then ferry/fly to Rhodes for the rest of your holiday.

Personally, I've been going to Greece for over 20 years and have NEVER stayed in Athens, my only view of the Acropolis being from an aeroplane.

Rhodes has got lots of ancient sites for you to see - I would recommend a visit to Ancient Kamiros - probably healthier than the Acropolis - no smog!
How many of your are there? We have a villa about 2 hours drive from Athens in a beautiful area of the Peloponnese close to Tolon and Nafplion. Have a look at http://www.perfectplaces.com/9405

Sara
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.