If it was me, rather than losing Ã‚Â£1,500 by cancelling and still having to pay out for a holiday on top of that I would try and concentrate on finding a decent holiday that was worth Ã‚Â£3,000 and then try and get them to transfer your booking for the relatively small admin fee that they usually charge. Even in the school holidays, you stand a good chance this year of being able to get an AI deal outside of Europe for that sort of money including the Caribbean - and possibly for 14 days at that - and you would need little additional spending money. Your wife must have thought that Ã‚Â£3,000 was affordable and within your budget so why not direct your efforts at trying to get value for money rather than getting embroiled in trying to get a refund which I think is a battle you'll lose?
I agree with SMa here and I would 2nd Sol rio Luna &Mares in cuba . Off there ourselves in 4 weeks .
Another thought if you decide to try and put your Ã‚Â£1500 towards something else . first choice are also part of Thomsons now .check if they Would allow you to pick from what they have on offer too .