Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Sorry you are having a difficult time, did you not get any insurance for your holiday? Hopefully you have got insurance then you can get some of the cost back through your insurance. If you haven't I dont hold out much hope you will get any back.......I hope I am wrong . x
Hello Margret,

Thank you for your message, I had insurance from a separate company there is some doubt whether they will pay any money back due to it being a pre-existing condition I did specify when I took out the policy that my son had an illness so there is hope however they will take £400 excess per person and there were six of us going so there won't be too much left but something is better than none I guess. X
Really sorry to hear this, I hope your son is ok. Unfortunately obtaining travel insurance is the responsibility of the person booking the holiday, not the holiday company - this is in Thomson's terms and conditions (see http://www.thomson.co.uk/thomson/page/tandc/tandc.page?depDate=2009-05-01&accommInvSys=TPP&flightInvSys=TPP&lang=en). Without insurance you are unlikely to get any money back I'm afraid.
Sorry to hear about your son, but unfortunately these are not exceptional circumstances. Tour operators get requests for refunds due to illness, bereavement etc 24/7 365. It's the customers responsibilty to make sure they have insurance for many reasons. Medical cancellation is just one. It's part of their terms and conditions that you have adequate travel insurance.

Can I ask when you intended to buy your insurance, being as you were obviously close to travel when the Tunsian atrocity occurred?
I'm sorry to hear about all this too, and hope that your son's condition can be diagnosed soon and that he can start his treatment.

Regarding the holiday and insurance situation, did you have insurance for the original Tunisia holiday? If so then you might just be able to suggest that in all the hoo-ha you vaguely thought that policy would cover you for the new holiday....

However if you had no insurance at all then sadly I don't think Thomson's have any obligation to refund you.
Good luck.
acorncup raises an interesting scenario.
If you had taken out single trip insurance and owing to disturbances in that country you were not permitted to fly, but your holiday op offered you an alternative destination, would your original insurance be valid?
del949 wrote:
acorncup raises an interesting scenario.
If you had taken out single trip insurance and owing to disturbances in that country you were not permitted to fly, but your holiday op offered you an alternative destination, would your original insurance be valid?

Yes, providing the dates were still the same and the new destination was within the limits of the cover eg European, Worldwide etc. Obviously if dates or country changed outside those covered then you would have to contact the insurers.
When we had the ash cloud and had a trip to America called off we arrange for a new trip three weeks later and the insurance which was single trip was moved to the new dates no problem
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.