Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I am thinking of going to Cape verde in June 2011. I am not used to 14 days but will 7 be enough and which is the better island - Santa Maria or Boa Vista?
Been to both not much to choose between either, personally prefer Boa Vista but that may be an age thing :sun2 There are more things to do outside the hotels in Sal but Boa is still very third world and underdeveloped, the magnificent isolation of the place is what appealed to me.
There are some slideshows of both islands in my section of the Media galleries that may help you. There used to be a direct link but this seems to have disappeared :que ,
Also some info and links on my website below:
Sal the most expensive sand dune I've ever been on
nickmacuk wrote:
Boa is still very third world and underdeveloped, the magnificent isolation of the place is what appealed to me.
Me too :)
Hi, can anyone provide info on the airport at Sal please? Is there much choice to buy in terms of alcohol for the flight back to UK. Or is it worth buying in the UK and taking it there and back? Thanks
You are better buying on the plane on the outward journey they usually sell out on the return not a great selection in the airport.
I have just booked for 'Sir' and I to go to Cape Verde in May. We will be staying at Clubhotel Riu Funana. Any advice from previous visitors would be appreciated such as - is the Euro accepted? How easy is it to change currency and can we get some before we go? Have booked with First Choice and registered for the visa with them but there was nothing to print off - is this normal? Looking forward to a chilled out, relaxing holiday :sun2 but is there anything that we really should not miss?
Many thanks in advance. :cheers
There are some slideshows of the Garopa/Funana on HT TV If you click the blue View My Media link to the left you should be able to spot them hopefully they will give you some idea what to expect and what the Island and hotel are like (You may or may not appreciate my little personalisation quirk}
Saw that Nick - it is partly your fault that I booked! Did appreciate the 'artistic' flair. :tup
OOHHH I'm so jealous, I absolutely loved Cape verde :tup :tup
Don't worry about having nothing to print off with the visa as it will have been registered. As for the Euro, everywhere accepts them and is more widely used than the Cape Veredean Escudo (sp?). The hotel has a cash point that only gives out escudos but on your last day any money left can be changed back to Euros at the hotel reception. Saying that you don't need to pay for much!

You will have a great holiday. We loved the Funana. Anything you'd like to know just ask!
Many thanks for that GPL - really looking forward to our visit now. :cheers
We are off to Cape Verde in June. Staying at Rui Funana. Can anyone tell me how far/much it is to the capital Espargos in a taxi or are we better going on an organised trip. Is it even worth going?
Probably better taking it in on the 4x4 trip of the Island which does go through it however remember it is a very poor country and there isn't a great deal to see in the way of shopping or culture then, if you like what you see you could revisit.
Going to the Riu Karamboa on Boa Vista in three weeks. Any advice for a first time visitor? There are six of us between 46 and 56 and we really only want to relax but if anybody has any tips for the hotel itself that would be great.
Thanks.
Here are a couple of slideshows I did when we were there 3 years ago, don't think much will have changed:

http://youtu.be/-bVCD5hRGM4

http://youtu.be/RdU2qSuk28k

Main tips:

1, Take everything you need there is very limited if non existent shopping outside the hotels and the the stuff in the hotel shops is very expensive.

2, Take plenty high factor sun protection you are near the equator and will burn even if overcast.

Have a great time I loved it :sun2
I'm so jealous, we went there a couple of years back and had the best time ever :tup We would love to return one day. The turtle trip is well recommended.
When we were there the sea had quite a bit of a drag to it, always flying a yellow or a red flag so be careful. It might be ok when your there. Loved arrival days at the hotel as they used to pop open the bottles of champers at the pool bar :cheers
It's finally here - flying to Sal on Weds.!! Can anyone tell me what to do at the airport with regard to having registered for the visa with First Choice - do we have to go to immigration or straight to passport control?

Got my suncream, got my parasol but think I will leave the stress at home! :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.