Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Sorry if a silly question but do the cars for hire in Tenerife have cigarette lighter sockets which are the same as the ones in british cars? Just thinking about powering a TomTom if we decide to hire a car.
silly off topic question didn't realise that tomtom had brought out maps of tenrife as yet

sorry admin for going off topic :wink:
Can anyone please advise me - I am staying in los cristianos in June and am hoping to hire a care for a few days. Are there any difficulties with overnight parking - I am staying in the Cristian Sur aprtment complex.
Does anyone have the correct web address for Orca many thanks
Thanks for that saved £3 lol over autoriesen
Every little helps. :wink:
Hi

We are arriving in Tenerife South 2345 and wanting to hire a car from the airport but can't find any car hire firms that are open at this time (or don't charge a high out of hours fee) can any one help.

many thanks
Hi jobe

What day are you arriving?

If its on a friday or saturday then you should be able to find a rental firm open at the time you require as this is the main days for arrivals on the island.

I hired a car with Autoreisen and their opening hours are

Sundays to Thursdays 07:00 to 23:00

Fridays 07:00 to 04:00

Saturdays 07:00 to 02:00

I expect the other companies will also be open as well
Thanks for that Andy we arrive on the Tuesday night, we have been told that the out of hours fee is 30 euros so are still looking.
Hi,
my son is holidayhing in PDLA in a fortnight and is thinking about hiring a car for a day or two. Can anyone tell me how old you have to be to drive and hire in Tenerife. My son's 21 and has held a clean licence for 4 years.

If he's too young for a car. What are the laws on motorbike or scooter hire. He hasn't passed his test on a motorbike.
Thanks
Recordrentacar will rent a car to anyone aged 21, however the car must be collected at the airport,but are competitive on price and supply good vehicles. i'm sure there will be others in resort also but would look for reccomendations through the car hire section in the forum rather than just pick one in resort
i will be in los cristianos in july i have photo driving licence , looking to hire a car for a few days in resort. I dont have a credit card !! Just a debit card , will i be able to get a car without credit card ?
Beware Europcar. I booked through an agent in UK and got an acknowledgement quoting the total hire cost. The Europcar desk at the airport denied all knowledge of booking, refused to supply at quoted price, argument not resolved but a car supplied (I assumed at the quoted price). On return, everything denied and I was charged a much higher price.

One other thing: check the fuel return policy - I returned a full tank which should have been empty, so the buggers not only over-charged but, through my stupidity, also got a load of free fuel.
We would definitely recommend AutoReisen.

We have used then for a few years now (at least 4 times a year) with no problems. You can amend or cancel your booking at any time. I have only had one car with a problem (would not start) and they said that a replacement would arrive within an hour. It arrived after 40mins. There are no hidden extras and the cost includes full insurance cover (except Tyres, lost keys and filling with wrong fuel). Normally very friendly staff and you can collect the keys whilst in the arrivals hall waiting for your luggage.
Another vote for AutoReisen, totally hassle free.

Have used them for four years. Last year after picking the car up at the airport, we drove to a favourite restaurant up in the hills in Vilaflor. Pulling up outside the restaurant on a very steep hill the car expired in a cloud of steam! :D We had a leisurely lunch, they brought us another car. No problem.

Had a Megane Cabriolet this year. Was great, after I worked out how to drop the roof . . . . :duh
Bad sevice with EasyCar
Booked cars through holiday autos, used mainly Niza, last six times no problems, tank empty to tank empty.
Booked through EasyCar this time they used GoldCar. Had to pay Euro80 for a full tank.
Did not do many miles but no refund for fuel in tank.
What a rip off, false economy, better with a car empty to empty.
Ill go back to Holiday Autos or Niza next time
Easycar may look cheaper but not worth it, complained when got back but no joy theyve got your money.
No good canceking on arrival as they charge cancelation fee
We hired a car from Autoreisen and, in general they were pretty good, the only complaint I've got is that we went for a drive up Mt Teide on Saturday afternoon and unfortunately when I got to the parking area near the visitors center I had a flat tyre..no problem normally but when I tried changing it there was no wheel brace and the spare wasn't fully inflated, ok, it's partially my fault for not checking when I picked the car up from the airport but you like to think that a firm like Autoreisen check and supply these things. Once I got far enough down the mountain to get a signal on my phone I found that their office closes at 2pm on saturdays and when I rang the 'out of hours' number, the chap didn't know what I was talking about. The following morning when I took the car back to the airport for a new wheel, no one seemed to care that we'd been stuck on a cold mountain with 2 young children due to lack of correct equipment. When I asked for a wheel brace, the mechanic just took one from one of the other rental cars, leaving some other driver with maybe the same problem. As I said, autoreisen are pretty good but check you've got everything before you drive off! :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.