Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
We hired over xmas period through http://www.doyouspain.com , they are basically an agent and subbed out the hire to goldcar rental at the airport.

We had picked a Ford Focus class but they were out of them when we got there so they gave us the class above (Citroen Berlingo).

One thing to watch out for, they operate on a full/empty fuel tank basis. They charged us €52 for fuel and a €14 diesel surcharge so €66 for a tank of diesel. Little did we know but diesel was only €0.64 a litre so they charged us for 103 litres :( . Unfortunately for us this was our first visit to Tenerife so didn't realise just how cheap fuel was and foolishly still had it in our heads the exchange rate was still about €1.25 to the £ as it was earlier in the year so it didn't sound too bad after a 4 hour flight.
We recently reported a shortage of hired cars in parts of Spain and the Algarve, due to rental suppliers being unable to increase fleet stock levels as a result of the current economic climate.

This has since been borne out by members finding it difficult or impossible to rent cars at their holiday destinations.

However, we now know of at least two members who had successfully reserved cars with Auriga Crown in Majorca and Valencia, but have now received emails informing them at very short notice that their bookings have been cancelled due to the non-availability of vehicles. No alternative options were made available to them and it seems the only option may be public transport.

We are not suggesting that any or all bookings with Auriga Crown are at risk but anyone holding reservations with that company, either directly or through a car hire broker, may like to keep an eye on their email inboxes or spam folders for any unexpected or unwanted news.

David :wave
Hi can anyone help, I posted this question on airport / transfer queries and havent had a reply yet ?

My friend has just booked a holiday - flying out xmas day. She would like me to ask a question which I hope someone can answer as I have been plenty of times but have no idea.
Will the airport car hire shops be open when she lands on xmas day.( about 17.00 - to hire a car ) . I have suggested pre booking - but would they be open to collect the car? - Hope someone can help.
Ooh, didnt think of that - good idea - I'll suggests she contacts them before booking online. - S
I'm trying to arrange car hire from Tenerife south airport for my father who is 72. He doesn't possess a credit card.

Does anybody know of a car hire firm that doesn't require a credit card - ie pay cash or with a debit card?

Plenty at the airport, will take cash and debit cards. Don't forget driving licence, photocard licence, some hire companies require the green paper part of licence as well. To see if you are a good person, i.e. not a string of endorsements.
Names of hire cars at escape me, only can think of Orcar, Cicar and Avis.
Hope this assists
Pebble
Thanks Pebble - have just received an email from Auto-Reisen saying they will accept debit card and will deduct 100 euros from the card and refund them when the car is returned.

Thanks again - now the fun will be waiting for Dad to decide which car!!!! :duh
Hi Hippy jak did you manage to get the car with the debit card? when i looked at this site it said you needed a CC.
Have hired cars from auto reisen, cicar, record, hertz & avis and used debit card every time, never a problem
just returned from Tenerife and we hired a car at the airport, and returned to the airport, booked as Martyn did above through "Doyouspain" (we had used them before in Costa del Sol). They are a booking agent but our car was through Record rental.

They may now have changed their policy on fuel because they advertise that you return it as you take it. Ours was three quarters full and that is how we returned it.

Don't forget diesel fuel in Tenerife is currently between 0.69€ and 0.71€ a litre - so much cheaper than the UK!!

Dave
Have used AutoReisen twice before in Lanzarote without problems and just booked my Tenerife car hire with them for two weeks in May at a cost of €167 (£152) for a 5-dr Citroën C3 class car with air conditioning. A good price, no advance payment, no cancellation fees, CDW with zero excess and no having to pay an inflated price for a full tank of fuel up front that I may not even use. Can't be bad.
Have hired cars from auto reisen, cicar, record, hertz & avis and used debit card every time, never a problem

very strange i have recieved two emails today telling me they (autoreisen) do not accept debit cards and only credit cards will do
  • Edited by David 2010-05-12 21:53:03
    Edited to fix quote
very strange i have recieved two emails today telling me they (autoreisen) do not accept debit cards and only credit cards will do

I would take what beccafcr said with a pinch of salt. Neither AutoReisen or RecordRentacar will accept debit card payments. They both specifically state they only accept credit card payments in their website T&Cs.
Looking to hire a large MPV 28/11 - 5/12. Hvae tried recordrentacar, doyouspain & carrentaltenerife all of which have nothing available.
We're a party of 4 adults and 3 late teens taking 4 large cases and a couple of hand luggage so were looking at something like a mercedes vito , a zafira would be too small with 7 and luggage.

Any suggestions of other companies that may have such vehicles
Have you tried holiday autos http://www.holidayautos.co.uk If they have anything there are discounted links around for 10-15 % off
thanks, did try them last week and didn't seem to have anything available but today they do have VW caravelle at £344
:tup
Ill find you that discounted link then martyn.
Ok price again martyn using this link . It should automatically price it 10-15% cheaper. . It's for virgin account holders but used successfully by many ,including me without one .

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xvirginmoney
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.