Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
i saw at least 3 different car hire places in cala N forcat, the one i used was Hiper Rent in the entrance to the Vista Picas apts, there was one across the road connected to the "TOP MARKETS" supermarket (behind the Burger King) and another on the same side of the road as the water park, im sure there will be many more but at least you have a choice of 3.

typical hire cost for a Renault Megane Scenic for 3 days was €178 which included a refundable fuel deposit of €63 so in real terms as long as you take the car back fully fuelled it costs around €115 (about £80)
There are dozens of car hire offices all around the Calan Forcat area, i found Miramar to be very cheap and had no problems with the service, their office is just by the white 'dancing man' statue on the roundabout.
The best bet is just spend an hour checking out the rates at all of them in that area and then go back to the best one, don't be afraid to try and haggle a little either, it sometimes works!!
hi can you still hire a car in menorca with the old style paper licence i havent got round to changing mine over yet..

dave
Should be no problem. Last year I hired a car with my old paper license wihtout a problem.
Am going to Cala'n Bosch next Aug and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice re hiring a car.

We've never driven abroad before but would really love to see more of the island than we did the last time we visited so would like to hire a car. Would it be best to book this before we go or do you think we should wait until we get there, bearing in mind it'll be peak season? Also have any of you explored the island by car? I've heard the roads are pretty good. How long would you recommend having the car for? Would just 3 days be sufficient or do you think longer? Also any recommendations for good companies would be appreciated. We would need to hire 2 child seats too, are they expensive? Sorry about all the questions! I know it's ages away yet but I do like to get organised!

Thanks
Hi

We have always rented when we got there. However, we haven't been in peak season. From what I have heard Poppy Cars and Owners Cars are good and not too expensive. Driving on Menorca is easy, the roads are good and trafic quiet compared to most of Britain. We have only had the car for three days as our children mainly complain if we try and do too many excursions. I went on my own once and agaín had it for three days but felt I should have had it a bit longer as I tried to jam in too much in those three days. Driving on the other side of the road will feel a bit strange in the beginning but it will soon pass. I come from a country where we do drive on the right but didn't find it a problem too change when moving here. Actually the only time I have made a mistake is back home. I think you concentrate more when on the other side.

So there are lots to see but will the children enjoy or do as ours, just want to stay by the pool?
I hired a car for the 1st time abroad this year, and after about 30 min driving i was fine, I found the roads great and there was not lots of traffic about........another plus was that it only took an hour or travel the lenth of the island............if you think of the roads as a fish bone with one big bone going the full lenth and lots of little road going off left and right...................................the good thing was the you could not get lost as there is no coast road as such........so if you get lost just go back on yourself to the main road.
I hire one every time I go, too cheap not to. Pick up and drop off at the airport.

I use http://www.doyouspain.com booking online before I go. Nothing to pay untill you arrive.

If your going for a week you get get a 5 door Focus with A/C for £99.70 airport collection and drop off early August. For 2 child seats add 20 euros.

Driving is very easy and theres lot to see, only one place to avoid, Cales Coves (unless you have a 4x4).
We used ecnonomycarhire (based in UK) , car was sourced through hyper who are a short minibus ride from the airport. Child seats are about €20 each per week. Menorca only has one main road which goes east to west. Busiest place was Mahon, but we found an underground car park on the edge of town - driving through the town looked an 'interesting'!
im taking my family of 6, in may, to santo tomas and we were thinking of hiring a car for couple of days,does anyone know if theres a hire shop in the location,or will it be better to book before we leave?
Thanks to all who replied. We'll definately book a car for at least a few days, we should be able to tear the kids away from the pool (hopefully) without too much trouble!
i hired one this year from poppycars highly reccomend them
were they based in santo tomas? or is that a company thats on the island? thanks
Mannie, could you possibly give me a link for poppycars please. We are hoping to hire a car in August for 7 people, but all the ones I have priced up so far are £370 + for 7 days,which I think is a bit steep?

Cheers
Hi

I think you will find that the prices go up in August and pretty much everything is more expensive then.
Jackie, DoYouSpain, EconomyCarHire and most of the other car hire agents haven't published their prices for next August yet. However, if you have 2 drivers in the party, it can sometimes be cheaper to hire two smaller economy-sized cars than a big 7-seater.
Thanks all, I will try all of these recommendations.

jackie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.