Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi, Cuba is a amazing place and can deliver an experience that just can't be had in Europe. I cannot comment on your hotel as I've never stayed there and usually stay with local families but re your other queries:

just a little concerned as i have seen reviews about bed bugs and flying cockroaches and this scares me to death.

I've never encountered flying cockroaches in Cuba and have never seen any them crawling around indoors - only outdoors and very rarely at that. Nor have I ever come across bedbugs in either the few hotels I've stayed at or in family homes. In my experience, Cubans are almost obsessive about cleanliness - every Cuban housewife I know mops her floors throughout daily and puts me to shame with their housekeeping standards. I've never seen any reason to doubt that chambermaids in hotel don't apply exactly the same standards and would be as horrified as you to find bugs of any sort and certainly wouldn't ignore them and not take action if they did.

do i need to sort myself a visa out?

Most TOs include the cost in your package and you don't need to apply for it in advance - jsut fill it out when they send it to you with your flight tickets. If you want to be doubly sure, check your paperwork from Thomas Cook. If by any chance they don't include it as part of your package, it can be easily obtained in advance or even at the departure airport in most cases.

And do i just take English money?

Yes, but make sure that it is Bank of England notes and not Scottish or Northern Ireland notes. The Convertible Peso is a controlled currency and not available outside of Cuba. The exchange rate is a standard one and whether you change your money at your hotel or a bank, you'll get the same rate so it's not worth shopping around. There are Cadecas (Bureaux de Change) at most airports so you can change a small amount as soon as you arrive if you want. I find that trevellers cheques are more hassle than their worth, especially as it is now almost impossible to get anything other than American Express cheques which are not accepted in Cuba. I'm assuming that yourgoing AI/ In which case you really won't need that much ready cash so just take sterling and use the room safe. Most ATMs will accept UK Visa and Mastercard debit cards but don't use you credit card except in a real emergency - it is the most expensive way of obtaining cash because of the surcharges you'll pay.

Plus are the any shops at all in cayo guillimero?

I haven't visited that Cayo so cannot comment on it specifically but I would be very surprised of there aren't any shops in the hotel/resort but don't expect them to have much beyond the usual tourist trinkets and souvenirs. On the whole, unless you are a Cuban music fiend, Cuba is not a great shopping destination - even if there are shops, don't expect to find much that you'll want to buy apart from local craft goods, cigars and rum. It's not a consumer society, most clothing is of poor quality and you won't find the 'designer' fakes that are often a mainstay of tourist shopping in many destinations.

I'm a Cuban addict because of the friendliness of the Cuban people, the music, dancing and rich cultural life, the beautiful beaches and the 'manana' attitude to life. Take it for what it is, rather than comparing it to places that it isn't and you'll have a great time.

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2010-03-05 12:12:01
thankyou so much for taking your time to write all of this, it has been a great help and you have put my mind at rest.

Thanks again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.