General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've got one your pull along and a rucksack when I do any travelling ie and I can't take a case :)
I've got the same as Terry.

With weight allowances going down and surcharges going up. Got rid of my hardback cases and bought light weight holdalls. I just make sure toiletries are in a plastic bag and wrap them in my towel, not had any problems so far.

Lynn
to be honest i was considering buying a holdall because of the weight issue, but loads of people i asked advised against it. luggage gets thrown about and takes some punishment after it disappears down the convayer belt. MY opinion is that a holdall is softer than a case and not as sturdy so i dont think would stand up to being hurled around by handlers, they have hundreds of cases piled on top of each other and i think a case would stand up to this better than a holdall, if you get what i mean. Id rather have a case and take a little bit less luggage and know its going to stand up to being hurled about, dragged around and have weight piled on top with it ripping etc.

but thats only my opinion!
I travel with a soft trolley suitcase and the friend who I often travel with has a large trolley holdall. The last long haul holiday we took together we had eleven different flights, neither of our cases/holdalls or contents were damaged and she had used her holdall on a previous round the world trip without any damage occuring. I think the only problem with a hold all is that you have to be very careful about distributing the weight evenly because the bag fell over a few times (usually onto my legs and feet)when in the trolley position if she hadn't packed it properly.
thank you all for your replys, it seems like it's just a matter of choice. i have always used cases, but would like to try a large holdall but haven't yet got the nerve. would have to be a good make though to justify strong zips etc. i will still keep a look out. thanks againx :wave:
I can highly recommend the Samsonite trolley bags, have had two for 7 years and they are still good, after numerous long and short haul trips, I believe the new ranges have a 7 year garantee.
x lassi
timberland luggage comes with a lifetime guarrantee just ordered a bag
We used two wheeled holdall's this year and a small case, the holdall's were brilliant and I managed to get everything in fine by rolling the clothes, the only damage we found was to the corner of the case which I shall be trading in next year for another holdall. For toiletries we always take a small hard wheeled case and put everything in there along with hairdryer and straightner's, we just make sure the electricals are wrapped up and well protected, never had a problem :)
I bought 2 wheeled holdalls by Head from TJ Hughes this year, only £12 each (RRP £60 though) and they were brilliant. I was absolutely amazed at how much they held- I used them for the kids stuff, but my 12 year old probably takes more than me (5 pairs of shoes!!???) I also squeezed in soft toys, books, sun cream etc and they still weighed less than 12 kilos each. As has been said I was a bit concerned at how they would stand upto being thrown about, but they arrived undamaged.

For next year I would certainly consider replacing our suitcases and getting another couple of wheeled holdalls instead- also much easier to pack into the boot of the car as even full they are more pliable than rigid cases.

Pam :)
sounds like the holdalls are catching up with the cases, thanks to all who so kindly replied. :tup
Just changed to Samsonite lightweight after having holdalls slashed open at Mumbai last year.
I think there's risk of damage with cases or holdall's. We got a rip in the top of our case one year and this year the corner of the case got damaged.
hi, just a little warning if these holdalls have carrying/shoulder straps, to make sure they are securely velcroved/tied together and not just left flapping. we were waiting for our cases to come up the shute and then on to the carousel, when the shoulder strap of someones small holdall actually got trapped underneath the conveyor belt and caused it to grind to a halt, it took half an hour while they sorted that out and for the belt to continue. luckily the holdall was ok, all they lost was the strap - dotty
looking at argos they have antler revalation wheeled holdall,wonder if that make is ok. it has 5 year guarantee? :que
We had to buy a holdall in america due to the amount of stuff we bought out there :whoops and it did a great sturdy job. We put toiletries etc in there and had no problems at all. Not even a dirty mark on it upon arrival back at Manchester Airport :tup
We like soft bodied cases on wheels then there's no excuse for the kids not to wheel their own cases along. We don't buy hard bodied shell type cases anymore after having a run of cracked bodies (the cases....not ours :rofl )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.