Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Just returned after 2 weeks with Siesta. We decided to go back there as CDP was too quiet for our teenagers. The coach trip was smooth enough on the way there and the hostess does a great job with food and drinks. We had time in the duty free terminal on the way there but as we were delayed 2 1/2 hours on the way home we were straight through customs and onto the train.

The site was a bit quieter than 2 yrs ago and Cantabrica was very quiet. People we met who had travelled with Club C told us they were originally being diverted to Blanes as Club C had not paid their bills to the campsite but were then allowed in as some money had been paid.

The prices in the camp supermarket were high and we went to Lidl most of the time. We only bought baguettes and water on the camp. British products with the British price on them were charged at double in euros e.g. 99p Cadbury chocolate was 1.99 euros. The entertainment at the Panorama area was great for families of all ages but the prices for drink were high. 3.25 euro for a pint, 2.40 euro for a coke, 2.20 euro for a small white wine.

We ate out in Estartit a few times and can recommend Clancy's Bar for a good family meal at reasonable cost. My wife and daughter tried the chinese restaurant and were not impressed.

The Siesta accomodation was very good and better than Club C's. Getting a nice decking area and a BBQ helps. We noticed that the Club C kids club is now 5 euro which has shot up in price from 2 yrs ago. All in all a better experience than the last time we went and the ned culture at the football area was not as evident.
Have to say i was pretty much the same as you, Paradisio, although you could find some other not bad stuff at the supermarket on site. Those 2L Heritage brand bottles of ginger (can't say Pop, too middle England :rofl ) were good value, and actually cheaper than my shop back home sells them!!!

I have to say personally that i'm surprised Club C are still on the go, they always look quiet, buses look older, accom looks older, etc
My 2 teenagers have discerning tastes and preferred the 2 litre bottles of 'cola' for 49 cents from Lidl :D

I did notice that quite a few people were using their laptops on the site and I was told that the code was available from reception but wasn't told the price. Most of the time half an hour was enough for me on the internet.

The guy who owns the Tex Mex restaurant was saying that things have been slowing in Estartit for a while. At his peak a few years ago he was serving 100 breakfasts, last year it was 40 a day and this year he has been averaging 20.
I saw a Club C bus in our local bus station the other day, I wouldn't want to travel on that.

The Siesta reps were telling us Club C were doing really bad on site.

Cider my sister in law bought that heritage lemonade.

The owner of Spirals was also telling us business was getting slow, he's keeping his prices down in the hope it helps pull more people in.

My dad was just telling me about the Siesta bus being delayed as I came on here (they flew home)

Helen
I heard Spirals were doing cheap beer, no good for me as a non-beer drinker though

I just wonder how long a lot of the people in Estartit can hold on. The mayor of the town may want to attract a different sort of tourist but i think they soon have to realise they are slowly killing it

Helen, that juice was ok for the price!
We enjoyed Spirals the few times we went, I think they will struggle as it is too small. We had to give them a miss a couple of times as we didn't fancy waiting on a table. I did see a few pubs advertising pints at 1.90 - 2.00 euro
Hi everyone,

I'm going to Castell Montgri for 3 weeks in August, just me and my youngest son (11) I'm a bit worried about being abandoned and left to fend for myself! Any ideas where I can go on my own?

Also we're flying into Gerona, is it easy to get to Estartit on the bus or should I get a taxi or organise a transfer?

Many thanks!
1 euro for a bottle of cruzcampo in Spirals.

Kept my hubby happy :rofl

Helen
I went to Lido di Jesolo in Italy a few times with Club C, they don't do there anymore but I wouldn't go with them to Castell Montgri anyway as the mobile home in Italy was dirty and disgusting!
Hi everyone just back from Castell Montgri, my first time doing the campsite holiday and absolutely loved it. Was really worried going after reading bad reviews about gangs of teenagers etc. but I thought the place was great. Only downfall was the hills had read about the hills but wasnt expecting how steep they were :yikes would definitely hire a car if I was to go back. Stayed in a Thomson Alfresco Vivaldi mobile and it was just fab plenty of room and looked brand new would definitely recommend them, the reps were lovely too really helpful.
have decided to swap montgri for salou. still going with siesta and still going same dates, to many conflicting views on estartit, guaranteed livlieness in salou, will try montgri/estartit though in the future, probably when we dont have to take the kids with us

regards to all
i prefered salou over esartit every time , sanguli is a very nice well kept site , no hills plenty to do water park just up the road along with port ventura theme park , salou itself has plenty to do bars cafes shops ect ect , and if your feeling energetic a nice slow walk into cambrils along the beach front is great , we walked into cambrils one afternoon to watch the fishing boats come in with there catch for the day , sqid octopus prawns fish , it was intresting to see them sorting through there catch. salou for me over estartit anyhow , but every ones taiste is different.
Has anyone just returned from L'Estartit? Would love know how busy it is this summer. Less than 2 weeks now before we are off to Castell Montgri for the umteenth time. I have been going to the camp since 1988 and now my grandson is going back for the 5th time and my daughter for the 8th time (I think). Last year I stayed in a hotel in town but just had to visit the camp for a day. I must admit it was quiet for the middle of August and my daughter went in September and said it was a ghost town. Thankfully, I prefer things a little quieter these days and the kids love the pools and the freedom they get from a secure campsite.
We have never liked the food on site so we will be cooking our own most days. I have been using Siesta for a couple of years now and have been most impressed by the coach journey and the accommodation. They may cost a bit more but are worth the extra cost. I do hope they keep up the good work this year as we have paid for a deluxe mobile home (with an en-suite no less).
Hope to report back at the beginning of September with some good news about Catell Montgri and L'Estartit and a few helpful tips to boot.

And thanks for the useful info from some of you old stalwarts. Always appreciated. :sun2
Just come back from L'Estartit (this morning) and suffering terrible withdrawl symptoms already! Weather absolutely gorgeous, people friendly and generous and no, it isn't THAT busy, we've never been in August before and expected a scrum, but it was just right, busy and buzzing in the town, but lots of places with room to eat at leisure. Didn't stay at Castell Montgri but in an apartment, and had a great time. Think things had really picked up the last couple of weeks judging by what the locals said - due to last minute bookings by sun-seeking Brits, otherwise had been really quiet.

Wish we were still there...... :sad
Finally getting round to posting about how we got on at CM - we had a fantastic time! The site is brilliant, we found the staff to be cheerful enough when we used the supermarket, gift shop, bars etc. I think that greeting them in Spanish and making an attempt at the basics goes a long way.

I have to say we didn't find the supermarket that expensive, yes it was dearer than off site but it was so much more convenient and you do expect to pay a premium when you're a captive audience. We only made it to the beach once - it was very windy and never having been abroad in the middle of summer before I didn't quite realise that the sand is sooooo dry you can't build with it/dig holes successfully! :rofl We just stuck to the pools and yes, it's extortionate for the sun loungers, but we didn't bother, just put our towels down, but then we didnt' lie in the sun, would have bought a lilo to lie on if we did. We arrived at the end of July and as the 10 days went on it did get busier and busier, but we didn't find it overcrowded or anything.

The journeys with Cantabrica were ok, our first experience of a coach holiday so nothing to compare them with. The lodge was small, but met our needs perfectly, we ended up cooking for ourselves quite a bit as it seemed sooooo expensive whenever we ate out (possibly because the pound is weak?) We weren't impressed with the food on site, everything was nuked or fried at the takeaway (to be expected I suppose) and the restaurant was expensive and nothing special. Club C staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble.

We liked it so much that we are already planning our next trip,will be booking with Interbrava as they are currently about £160 cheaper than Club C, accomodation only. Are planning on driving ourselves (are we mad?!!) and using tesco vouchers for the Euro tunnel. Anyone got any advice or tips? Either that or getting cheap flights to Girona, no prices out yet though.

Thanks to those that put my mind at rest before we went. :tup
The supermarket isn't that expensive, as long as you buy sensibly and don't buy tons of imported stuff!!

We are going to be driving next year, but i'm looking at going to Calella DP for a change. Also going to two other resorts in France, which is only costing us around £380 with a channel tunnel crossing thrown in :tup
Hi, Id like some information if anyone can help me?? Myself and my partner with 4 kids 2,8,9,and 13 are travelling to Castel Montgri for the first time in May when its just opening. My brother n girlfriend are also coming with there 2 year old and we have 2 vivaldi luxes with Thomson Al Fresco. We booked our flights last week and are not worrying about that as we travelled to L'escala last year and flew to girona also. I have read really mixed reviews and am a bit anxious really!! What is the campsite actually like, as in are there rats running round as some have stated and drains overflowing!!! Noisy teens although i dont know tees that arent noisy even with rules and boundaries!! Nightclub blazing music till all hours, rude staff,horrid food!! i could go on forevor!!! I have read some positive reviews but am getting the feeling the bad are outweiging the good????? Please help!! We got a really good deal for 2 Vivaldi luxes and on flights going on 19th May for 2 weeks,just dont know if we will enjoy it now!!! I know La Bassa isnt open but is it true the big slide doesnt open untill mid season??? Unfortunate if it is!!! We arrive at 10am but Thomson website says checkin is 4pm, does anyone know if there is any leeway on this or at least somewhere we can leave our bags???? Has anyone stayed in a vivaldi luxe with thomson?? Do they have a television?? Are they small inside as some have stated?? Is the outside space small as some have stated?? All i can say is HELP HELP HELP!!!!Starting to think its going to be a disaster!!! Stayed in a villa last year in L'escala and obivously not expecting that quality but clean,as advertised in the brochure and fun is what we want???? Does Castell Montgri provide this or do we need to be prepared??????? Where is lidl from the site? Any Carrefour nearby?? Is there a go-kartung track nearby??
Many Thanks for any information.
Jodie
xxxxxxx
Hi Jodie,

First things first - DON'T PANIC! you will be fine and the kids will love it :)
I've been May, June July and September and May was the quietest as there are no school holidays around that time of year so no nosy teens. June/July and August can be a bit rowdy but then so can anywhere at that time of year

I've never seen a dead rat or an overflowing drain.

The pool with the slides was open last time we were there in May, La Bassa wasn't I think that is a seasonal pool.

Lidl's is only a 5 min walk from the bottom of the camp site, but make sure you go the back road, come out the camp site, turn right along a dirt track then you can cut through the petrol station across the road from Lidls

I've always been with Siesta and they are mid afternoon checking but if the caravans are ready you normally get in sooner. There are places to leave your bags do if you do get there early you should be able to go off and come back later, just pack your swim suit as hand luggage and you will be fine.

Don't worry about fun and entertainment, there's plenty of it there for the kids of all ages and the adults so you will be kept occupied.

On sites like this you do get bad reviews since people only ever seem to leave a comment if it's bad. e.g. im going to Benidorm in may, someone wrote a page long comment about no kettle in the room, gave the apartments really bad press and all over a kettle so out of the thousands that go here every year a few bad comments are actually good.

People have to remember that Castell Montgri is designed for families so if its a quite holiday you want its not the ideal place so they shouldn't complain about "loads of kids hanging around the pool area" or if you want to go, go out of season when there are no school holidays that way it will be quieter.

So for now go pack your bags and look forward to your holiday, I'm sure you will be giving the place good reviews when you get back

Diane x
I can't believe there hasn't been any replies on this thread recently.

We are actually looking in to going back to Castell Montgri next year as a large family group.

After all these years I still love the place.

Helen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.