General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi and welcome to HT!

First Choice and Thomsons are part of the same group, Tui. Thomas Cook is a different company.

Do you have travel insurance as that normally covers redundancy provide it wasn't known about at the time of taking out the insurance?

luci :wave
luci HT Mod wrote:
Hi and welcome to HT!

First Choice and Thomsons are part of the same group, Tui. Thomas Cook is a different company.

Do you have travel insurance as that normally covers redundancy provide it wasn't known about at the time of taking out the insurance?

.....but insurance won't cover the unpaid balance.....MAY cover the loss of deposit if the AI holiday is cancelled as a result of the redundancy.
brewerdave wrote:
luci HT Mod wrote:
Hi and welcome to HT!

.....but insurance won't cover the unpaid balance.....MAY cover the loss of deposit if the AI holiday is cancelled as a result of the redundancy.

Why would the unpaid balance need to be covered? If it hasn't been paid then there is nothing to claim back.

As the holiday is not until June next year, it could be cancelled now with only the loss of deposit.
luci HT Mod wrote:

Why would the unpaid balance need to be covered? If it hasn't been paid then there is nothing to claim back.

As the holiday is not until June next year, it could be cancelled now with only the loss of deposit.

...Sorry...just clarifying...IME there are people who would expect to still go on the holiday with the Insurance Co. picking up the tab!!! ;)
Thank you for your response, I was daft enough not to get insurance when I booked! Thomson I meant not Thomas cook lol
Hi rhiannon and welcome to HT.

I would certainly check the position with your insurance first if you have it in place already but to answer the original question they would normally allow you to move your deposit to another holiday i.e a different hotel or even a later date . i friend even used the deposit they had made for a weekend break with thomson thus not having to put much towards the final cost , but they were already booked with thomson . As mentioned you won't be allowed to move to TC as it's a different company but they MAY allow you to move to thomson . As i understand it First choice now only do A/I but have a good look first incase they do 3 day weekend type options .

I would probably be inclined to leave it as is for the time being . As you are not due to go until June you still have time on your side . Up until about 12 weeks before departure , usually the point when final balance needs to be paid (although do check) you will only be liable for loss of deposit so not a lot to be gained frm making a decision yet .. Things may look more positive in a few weeks or at a push you could move it to the following winter (nov -end april ish ) when brochures come out. I certainly wouldn't be paying any more off the holiday at this stage though .
Thanks for your advice lyn, that's helped a lot!
Did you book in a an actual travel agents? If so I would go in and speak to them, explain the situation and ask if you can transfer to Thomson Self Catering holiday or a three night break somewhere as Lyn suggests there will be a per person admin fee.

The downside of leaving it till 12 weeks before is that generally the costs of holidays go up and up and at 12 weeks before may be at their peak cost. Late deal prices don't seem to kick in until about 4 weeks prior to travel then seem to go back up the last a couple of weeks again (have been looking for a late deal recently)

Also there are no guarantees that they will allow you to do this, the only incentive for them is that you still will be paying them a bit more money. Presumably as you have paid over and above your deposit at present while you would lose your deposit you would hopefully get the over and above bit back. Unless I am misunderstanding.

Sorry to hear about the job loss.

xxx
Thanks doe, no your right I have paid over my deposit £800 to be exact! But sadly have £800 to go :-( I actually booked online but there is no harm in going into shop to ask! Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated :-)
Fingers crossed for you.

Even if you booked online you may have luck with their call centre I'm not sure if they will deal with you in store though but it could be worth a punt.

The other thing you could do is go into your on-line booking as you probably have some kind of unique booking reference number and maybe email the query to them perhaps already having researched a self catering holiday you would like.

Or even just log on to the site in general and sometimes the facility comes up for you to have a live web chat with a call centre operative.

Generally speaking they seem to like you to sort out your quereis the same way you have booked, so if in store u go back to the store, by phone you ring, and if on- line then via the web.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

xxx
Hi guys,

Just to let u know I have contacted first choice via phone, i have been able to change my holiday from first choice a/I to Thompson self catering for £50pp which means I've still saved! I hopefully won't spend too much money now on trips and food... I always get fatter in a/I anyways haha :-)
That's great news. Now don't forget to arrange travel insurance as soon as possible so that you are covered in the event an illness or accident prevents you going.

Brilliant news very pleased for you :tup

Doe :sun2
That is good news rhiannon, pleased you got it sorted and best of luck on the job front . :tup
Great news. :)
I hope things get sorted jobwise. Now you've found HT- why not stick around?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.