Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Changing Money
9 Posts
It's up to you. Take your chance and try and get it changed in resort if you want, but if it were me, I'd take lots of Euros.
Take euros with you, much better rate over here anyway and make sure you use the accomodations safety boxes
I've always found when travelling to Greece that it is better to change your money over there. I've always got a better rate than here, I usually go to a car hire place, they have a list of exchange rates in the window.

I've been going to Greece since 1987 and they have never liked credit cards much, they like to fiddle their taxes: that's why they are in such a mess!

I am going to a wedding in Santorini at the end of this month and I am a bit worried about what is happening at the moment. I heard that hospitals are running out of drugs because they can't afford more, Greece is becoming a third world country.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to get married in the heat of Greece in August, what's wrong with this country?
I have never found that I could get a better rate here rather then there.
However at the present time I think that I would be taking euros with me and risk the exchange rate being worse, in the same way I would take plenty and risk losing out when changing back to sterling when home.

As for getting married over there, I can understand why people would want to. More or less certain sunshine accounts for a lot. It must make it difficult for older family members to attend though.
AS the population are desperate for currency you may find you can haggle if you have cash. They won't be so happy with plastic as the money will a) go into the bank and they may not be able to get it back and b) they will be taxed on it!
they will be taxed on it!

As i understand the earliest mentions of Greeces' debt problems, the non collection of taxes was one of the main contributing factors. .Perhaps we shouldn't be encouraging more of the same!
As far as I am concerned cash is legal tender. What arrangements the person I hand my cash to has with their government is entirely up to them. If I can negotiate a discount for cash, thus making my cash go further then good for me. In fact those of us going to Europe this Summer should thank the Greeks for getting us more Euros for our pounds!
Came back from Rhodes on Thursday. Bars/restaurants WERE still accepting "foreign" cards but supermarkets weren't. Generally exchange rates weren't good - but didn't bother us as I picked a shedload up at 1.3815 from Ramsdens before we left. :tup
ATMs were still dispensing cash where we were (around Lardos/Pefkos) but they were going empty quite frequently as some in our accommodation found !!!
Also there were problems with petrol stations -one day in our second week, they weren't selling any ,then on our final day, we noticed signs on the forecourt saying cash only at a couple on the way to the airport.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.