France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Think you will find that they really mean it. Many places in France insist NO SHORTS.

Patka
i was hoping someone who has been there can let me know
What makes you think I haven't been there?

I have, not my cup of tea. Far too large and more geared for teenagers.

Patka
Maybe take a pair - just incase. Can't see anything in the search I've made but this point came up regularly so hope you are aware. On arrival you have to purchase an ID bracelet for €20 per family - this is refundable.
Thanks Glynis very helpfull. Patka the reason i thought you hadnt been there was your vague answer. Starting with " I think " ;)
If you look at THIS website, you will find that halfway down on the right hand side it clearly states that due to hygiene regulations, many parc owners have banned swim shorts. Please take conventional lycra-style trim swimwear, though these can usually be purchased locally.

Photographs in brochures may be specially set up.

Peter
i wonder if i can get away with them tight lycra shorts. Anythings better them hideous speedo trunks :yikes
There is a previous topic ........

Yes, and with the same sort of discussion going round and round in circles, but it comes down to this.

Regardless of the reasons why, and the rights and wrongs of it, some sites including Dol ban the wearing of swimming shorts in the pool/pool area, and insist on proper swimming trunks, lycra or otherwise. (I don't like them either, get worried someone with a harpoon might be passing!)

That's it, comply or keep out of the pool/pool area.

As for the rule not being enforced, as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky!"

Peter
oh yes i feel so lucky. Im going to wear my baggy bermuda shorts until im threatened with eviction and then i will have to whip them off and expose my oh so tight shorts :yikes
I am not a fan either, but if it is the law of the land then we should abide by it. :)
Urbanlegend, whilst I fully understand your feelings, as a resident of France for the last 17 years, I would suggest taking the line of least resistance so as not to feel stressed on holiday ;)
One of the great things about French sites is that most owners are strict in relation to their rules, and will not hesitate to eject those who cause problems. This even applies to Keycamps and Eurocamps customers, so those just renting a pitch or one of the owner's own chalets should take care.

This is especially true to the Castels group, of which Le Domaine des Ormes is part.

Peter
I haven't been to this particular site; however, we were at Chateaux De Marais in 2009 and the swimming trunk rule was not enforced. In 2010 however, we were at a site with life guards on site and they enforced the no shorts rule strictly. The reason they gave was hygiene. i.e. they don't want you playing football and getting your normal shorts dirty, then wearing them in the pool.

They wouldn't let my son continue using the pool until we had bought him tight trunks at the camp shop. Because it was a Sunday, the shop didn't open until 2pm so they let him swim until then. Bang on 2pm they told us to get him out of the pool and go buy some trunks.

I had to get a pair at the local Super-U next day. I strongly recommend taking a pair of trunks/tight shorts with you, as I ended up with the most hideous pair of swim shorts you ever saw.

You can wear baggies at poolside, as long as you don't go swimming in them.
I had this conversation with the owner of the site we go to (Le Ranolien). He made all the points above about hygene but he also made another very valid point. Little Johnny in his shorts which often have pockets, is given a few euros by his parents so he can buy an ice cream etc, he pops the change in his pocket, goes swimmimg and before you know it a few coins have slipped through the pool filters and the pool machinery grinds to a halt. Even he admitted there was only a slim chance of this happening but if it did it may be expensive to repair and he has to deal with hot and bothered guests who cannot use the pool. What happened to the old When In Rome attitude, I think this a small thing to ask. Is anyone really too vain to wear a pair of trunks when everyone else around you is wearing the same.

John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.