Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You cannot buy dutyfree at Bodrum harbour unless you go on trip to Kos etc. You used to be able to wander through but that stopped after 9/11. There are many kiosk that will say they are dutyfree but they just sell fakes. If you did not go through border control then I think you may have bought off one of the kiosk slightly before you go through the control. This does not apply at Dalaman Airport dutyfree. If you buy cigs there they are genuine.
Margaret
12 of us going on 3rd july for 2 weeks from teeside hope to bring cigs back . any idea of peices for lamberts
Hi Ashy, last year i paid £11 for 200 L&B in Dalaman airport. You can also get them on the plane £25 for 400.
Be warned though, you are only allowed 200 back through to uk and some of the shops in Dalaman airport will scan your passport/take the number when you buy them.

Loulou
Our sister in law bought some rolling tobacco in Icmeler last year and she found a tree in one pack :rofl :rofl when she opened the 2nd one she found a piece of string which came in handy to keep my hair up :rofl :rofl Its a shame i wasnt with her when she purchased it, i could have warned her about what had been written on H/T Bye Anna xxxxxxx
can anyone tell me where in marmaris you can buy real fags , i know there are lots of places that say they are real but are fake?
Sorry, duplicate post :oops: .

Elaine
  • Edited by Elaine 2006-04-13 11:19:29
Hi,

Your best bet to be sure they aren't fake is to buy at Dalaman airport on your way to your resort, or on your way back home.

But theres also lots of information about buying ciggies in Turkey here -
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10348

Elaine
hi
i am going to turkey in june and was wondering if any body has just come back and know how much fags are in marmaris especially the best place to buy them from so i can try and avoid the fake ones.
Also have the prices for food and drink gone up since last year?i think i was paying about 3 lira for a beer

thanks
Beer prices similar.

Buy your smokes on the way out in the airport and you then know they are genuine and last week we paid £9 per carton for Lambert.

John
Theres another thread on this forum running currently about prices this year -

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=74073

Hope this helps,

Elaine
I bought 200 fake L&B when I was there last week. It was our first day and I was a bit wet behind the ears :oops:

I smoked them anyway as I don't like waste he he. In our local paper tonight though, there was an artical about cigarette smugglers and it said the fake ones are dangerous. Is this true? I'm the worlds worst worrier mind so go easy on me :wink:
i have heard that they are dangerous because of what they contain but the danger goes as far as a sore throat and more coughing!! from what i have seen through friends anyway! they now stick to the real thing for comfort rather than danger! xxxxxxxxxxxx
So they are just a bit "harsh" as opposed to dangerous? A bit like smoking the sweepings off the floor as you might say :lol:

Anyhoo, I came home on Saturday morning and I've been off the tabs since Sunday so not bad eh? 8)
i suppose thats an ok way of putting it im not a smoker myself so im not entirely sure but well done hope you get to stay off for good xxxxxxxxxxx
Well what can i say!!! I am sadly a smoker and i do buy the cheap ciggies from the shops in Icmeler, the ones on the shelf that is, 80p a packet is a bargain but. Our Son went to Marmaris with his fiancee and saw Benson and Hedges 400 for £20, which he purchased. When he got back to us in Icmeler he opened a packet and the SMELL was digusting. Yes, i tried one and so did mu hubby. Well, I don't like to see anyone being ripped off espesially your own so,,,,, the following morning we all (6 of us) jumped on a Dolmus to Marmaris to the shop. We explained that the ciggies smelt of :swear and most of the tobacco fell on the floor !!!! He came out with a load of Turkish :swear :swear :swear but i was sticking my ground. He tried to say because we had opened them, nothing could be done. I pointed across the road were gladly the Police Station was and said "Illegal Tobacco from behind the curtains" I have never seen anyone get £20 out of his till so quick. The problem is, people could have bought them for gifts to take back home. In future all our tobacco is being bought from duty free. Happy hols Anna xxxxx
Stick to the airports for buying fags! You will not be able to get genuine brands like B&H, Lambert & Butler, Silk Cut or Superkings in resorts - they're just not allowed to sell them.

I find quite a good alternative if I've run out of my normal brand is L&M Lights - cheap as chips in the supermarkets - but apparently still smell like whacky baccy (according to my colleages if I've brought a couple of packets back!)

When I was at Dalaman coming home a fortnight ago I went in one of the duty free shops (it was the last one just by the "smoking" cafe at the end) and the guy there was eagerly pointing out to me a notice that he had up on the front of his counter:

"A change in duty free allowance now means that you can take 1,000 cigarettes back to the UK"

Hmmmmmm - don't be fooled, the legal maximum is STILL a measly 200 fags.... Ok, I usually bring back 400 as they'll easily fit in my hand luggage - unseen, but the chances are you'll have to carry a carton of 1,000 through your arrival airport in a fairly see-through carrier bag - bit risky in my opinion, especially as if you're caught they'll confiscate them ALL (how gutting would that be)!

Mazz
:D
Haha Mazz, i was told the same thing, and shown the paper which actually did look quite official - Which is a bit worrying as im sure quite a few people would innocently fall for it :tut

I just laughed at him and told him that it was cobblers and the limit was 200 per person - he looked at me as if i was from planet mars and a complete idiot :rofl

LA

PS - Was looking out for you at dalaman, spotted one person that i thought could of been you as with an older woman - But didnt want to go up and make a fool of myself if it wasnt you :hmmm
Does anyone know the price of Superkings (black) at Dalaman Airport
we go on Sat so looking to buy some at arrivals Cheers
The Marlboro in the resorts are the genuin article
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.