Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Katehub

Firstly you are unlikely to hear a bad word about Turkey on this forum :lol: Seriously, you have selected good apartments in the Portobello. They get good reviews on this site with only the odd complaint, then again you can't please everyone. They are well situated for everything in Marmaris. You will find great restaurants ranging from really cheap to quite expensive. The food however is in my opinion probably as good in them all. Like every holiday location you are paying for the surroundings too. If you eat near the port overlooking the sea, expect to pay more etc. It's been a couple of years since I have been to Corfu but had a great time there. Never went back though since catching the Turkey bug.

Wilson :wink:
TURKEY = brilliant, it was our 1st time last year and we loved it. I stayed across the road from the Portabello and was always there, its a really big complex, plenty to do. I think the mixed reports are because of the accom there are new blocks and older blocks of aparts and obviously the newer ones are the better ones but dont let it worry you too much i am sure you will have a great time.
Portebello is a large complex with 5 swimming pools, slides, bars, restaurants, entertainment and turkish bath. Lots to do for kids of all ages. It is close to the beach and tourist amenities and only a short dolmus ride to marmaris centre.(25 mins walk for healthy option)
if this is your 1st time you have chosen well and will enjoy yourself.
For info try http://www.aboutmarmaris.com and other info sites
booked portobello for july , from recommendations from this site and from lots of friends, you will have to let me know what you think....only advise i got was to opt for the new block as the older block is a bit dated now,but still ok.....
hope you have a great time :wink:
steve
Me and the hubby went to the Portobello last year and loved it. We booked a last minute bargain through Thompsons and have to admit we were slightly worried before we went because we thought it would be over-run with children. Our apartment was lovely, it had 2 rooms which were spotlessly clean. We had 3 balconies, 2 of which overlooked the main pool area and as we were on the ground floor we could just ask the bar lads for drinks and they'd just bring them over to us.
I think any complaints about this hotel must be from people who book with First Choice. I think they have the older rooms. We paid extra for a late check-out courtesy room and were put in the First Choice block. They were very small, had no cooking facilities and had a tiny balconies. To be honest, for the price we paid if I had been given one of these rooms I would have still enjoyed myself at this hotel. It's in a good spot close to loads of bars and restaurants, the staff can't do enough for you and there is entertainment on each evening in the hotel if you want to stay in for that. One word of warning for anyone taking children, the pools are pretty deep and I think there's really only 1 pool that is suitable for non-swimmers.
Have a good holiday, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Sharonx
Katehub,

I know these aparts really well, which tour operator are you travelling with, differant tour operatours are contracted to differant apart blocks although first choice for example last year only had 1 of the older blocks this year they have both old and new but the new block are brochured as deluxe apts and supplemented accordingly.
The are great apartments and you will have a fantastic time.
wanted to book the portobello for this year because some friends we met last year were staying there and it sounded fantastic - especially for our 7 year old what with the slides and pools etc - but jeez aren't they expensive :cry: :cry:

My hubbies shut down is the first week in August (plus its my birthday that week!!!) so we are tied to when we can go - Skytours quoted £2,900!!!! You can go all inclusive to the Carribbean for less than that!!

I know Turkey is exceptionally cheap when you get there but i don't want to get ripped off to get there!!
Hi, We visited turkey 2 yrs ago for the 1st time and had a ball we stayed in the excelsior apts and this year we booked the Portabello thinking it was a bit closer to town, after reading the reviews I panicked as we are booked with firstchoice... We went to the travel agents and offered to pay more money to go with Thompsons but our travel agent got quite cross and told us that its nonsence that Thompsons dont own any certain block nor do firstchoice its pot luck when you arrive what block your in.. My husband and I arent that fussy but we do have 2 kids under 10! Does anyone think we should just leave things as they are or should we push again to upgrade, we're getting a bit nervous now as june is fast approaching..Sorry for going on a bit :roll:
Hi Guddy, it is true that the newer part of the portebello looks better and I have heard that it is thomsons... BUT the whole complex will be like an adventure playground for your kids. They wont care about the apartment and if you shouldn't either. The money you save will pay for a jeep safari, lazy day boat trip, water park and a few Efes for "Im indoors". I have always found that an apartment is for crashing out in, not a discussion point for interior decor. Relax, and look forward to your holiday.
I agree with chelseaboy but if you are bothered i now this from first hand lFirst choic local knowledge. First choice have contracted rooms in the newer block and they brochure them as deluxe apartments and you can pay extra to upgrade with them as ong as availble if they say not available as them to email a request to the resort office to see if can get another one. just a tip either way the complexe is great for kids and you will love it.
Is it only First Choice and Thomson that offer this complex in UK? Or do anyone else :?:
no cosmos as well but dont know if still do as owner wasnt going to sign contract with them for this year as offered bigger with thomson and first choice
:) Thanks for letting me know about the delux rooms but our travel agent still insists its pot luck which block we will be in & first choice or Thompsons dont own any particular block!!! BUT We have to pay our balance in the next few weeks and I'm taking a copy of all the reports about the portabello with me, incase she thinks we're mad!!
I was checking on thomsons late deals on the internet and found the Portobello apartments in there sale at £1 per room per night. For around the beggining of May Good deal eh! Have to arrage your own flights though. karen h
:D Hi ive just booked the Portobello in Marmaris for May 2006 has any one been here were abouts is it . Is it far from the beach which is the best block of accomadition to ask for reason been ive been reading in brochure and it states there is different acc blocks to stay in. Any help would be gratefull :D Thanks Marion
portobello apartments are down towards siteler. they are not far from the beach, just down a block and then across the main road (3/4 min walk). It is in a good location, it is very central. The best block to stay in is the newer block (not sure of the name).
:D Hi thanks Nutmeg we have only ever done A/I b4 in Turkey so this is new to me im exicted been able to go from restaruant to restaruant picking what we want. We did get a deal for the Green Park in Marmaris but a friend of mine said the Portabello was better just hope ive done the right choice :D . Is the Siteler area near the harbour area or more near Icmeler? what other hotel apartment is near it? When going S/C do we take our own bed linen etc ? I know im a pain but with not doing this b4 i just dont know. But one good thing ive got 13 months to prepare myself :D .We are staying in the Pineta Hotel in Oct this year and really looking forward to it
can't remember which hotels are near off the top of my head. There are plenty though.
No you don't need to take your own bed linen. It just basically means you have to feed yourself. Most self catering apartments have a fridge and hob.
near to the portobello there is the blue bird apartments and club alize also at the back is class apartments. The better ooms are the deluxe apartments. although there has been a major refurb programme n some of the old blocks this winter so you may find a standard apart will be ok. best thing is ait to the reviews come back but look at the reviews against the company they are with as each company has differant blocks contracted to them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.