Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Siesta are pricing travel for each direction next year rather than a set return price. Seems to come out slightly more expensive.
jimd-f wrote:
noair
i dont doubt what you are saying about the legroom in some seats as i have noticed this myself on the part platinum coaches. we got moved by the courier last year when we were on that coach and pointed out to her that the seat pitch was short.we did do this discreetly -we got on at dover and spoke to her at the ciggie break while we were waiting to board the ferry.
even if the coach was full it may have been possible to move you to another coach or even get you a double seat downstairs albeit a cattle class seat.
on the trip down this time on the part platinum coach there were people who had paid the £15 supplement complaining about the lack of legroom in some seats. partly because there were some who had not paid the supplement and were trying to sit in the empty seats the driver decided that nobody could move seats so there were a couple of unhappy customers.
the driver has told me that all the upstairs seats on the part platinum coaches are full platinum seats but i think this was more of a PR thing than the truth as i am convinced that some upstairs seats are not platinum.
still, like everything else, if you do not complain at the time then you have not given them the chance to rectify the problem so i doubt that you will get anywhere with a complaint either on facebook or direct.
Hi
i would still write a polite letter/e-mail to ferris pointing out that the seat pitch was short and requesting the return of your £15 -you never know!

Hi guys
I replied to no air in another post which I hope helps.
A lot of you guys know a lot more than me holiday wise but as far as the legal side is concerned the bottom line is that if you have paid for a product then you expect it to be as described
Jim is right that it's always best to complain at the time but also if it's really cheesed you off also get evidence.
If you have paid extra or been promised re the contract then they have to provide it .the the days of companies just shrugging their shoulders and getting away with is and should be long gone .
If they have advertised or charged you for it and not provided it then Under various consumer laws this comes under many guises including misold and misreprenstation
Cheers
12noon wrote:
We went to Lloret with Shearings last October and the total journey time from Normanton West Yorkshire was 27 hours.

We set off from the Shearings Normanton departure point on a feeder coach and had a short toilet stop about half way down towards the Hythe main departure point (it took about 4 hours) where we got on our destination Spain coach. We were in Hythe about an hour while they transferred our cases from coach to coach. Once we set off we headed towards Dover and boarded the 2.30pm ferry. The ferry takes about one and a half hours to cross and then the journey across France starts. We headed down towards Reims then Troyes then Macon then Lyon then Nimes and on to the French / Spanish boarder stopping every 3 hours ish. We had breakfast somewhere closed to the boarder before heading on towards our hotel in Lloret.

So we actually set off across France at 4pm ish and traveled over night arriving in Lloret about dinner time the next day. Hope that helps

Hi - just read a lot of your posts, and as you seem quite positive about your Lloret coach holiday with Shearings, I thought I'd ask you a couple of questions!!??? We have just booked a nine day holiday for 25th October this year (because it was an absolute bargain!!), - we get on our feeder coach in the Manchester area, so have you any idea where we will be taken to join our coach to Spain? Also, did you stay in the Selvamar hotel - and if so, what did you think of it? Did you enjoy the included trip to Barcelona? - I am so excited about that!!! Finally, how did you find the weather in Lloret in October? The last time I went on a coach holiday was centuries ago, to the South of France, for 17 days, and it was amazing - but that's all I can remember about it! Thanks. :wave:
just back from yet another trip with Ferris.
had a lovely chat with one of the drivers who told me that they are buying 4 new coaches for next year but they will be the "old" design as Mr Ferris thinks there is more room in the aisles on these coaches. they cost around £450,000 each.
the driver also confirmed that there is less leg room on the 12 and 13 plate coaches they are currently using than the old design and they have had regular complaints about this. Mr Ferris's views apparently are that there is still sufficient legroom and a good recline so no complaints will produce refunds.
it is good news that the new coaches will give us back the legroom we have missed, just a shame Mr Ferris would not, at least, acknowledge what most of us knew.
i was also told that for those who choose not to pay the platinum surcharge there will be more use made of the old cattle coaches.
it is also worth bearing in mind when booking for Disneyland stops and the Paris overnight hotel stops that they do not always use a platinum coach for the journey so if you intend to travel via Disney or Paris i would make sure when you book what exactly you will be travelling on.
Currently considering my options for next year, noticed that Siesta a lot cheaper for my circumstances than they were last year. One thing I don't get is that I had a look in one of their coaches when I was in Salou in September. There is a lot more legroom, yet Ferris claim on their website says they are only 30mm less pitch than Siesta. Erm.

I have never met Ray Ferris, I am not sure how tall he is but I sent them a picture of me cramped in my seat and they didn't real do much, they did look into it but simply said it was a platinum seat so shut up sort of thing and we will see you next year :p.

If the new coaches will have more legroom, even if it is just a little bit I will consider using them again as I do much prefer the fact Ferris use the ferry. I can't remember if I mentioned the security I issue I had with the night train in September? But I am thinking if it only costs £100 more so I do the trip next year in a day, leaving London at 5:40am and getting to Barcelona at 8:30pm the same day, it just means I will have to book a cheap hotel near Barcelona sants for the night but there are far worse places to stay than Barcelona :)
Is a long story but I will try name it short. My last trip to Spain was in September, I did it DIY booking a night train from Paris to Perpignan, then onto Girona and then Calella, I then went onto Salou and Barcelona returning to Perpignan to get the night train back to Paris. On that night train (just a normal carriage but with more leg room).

The train going was fine, but I was aware of one or two shady characters on it, on the way back however I got speaking to an older English couple who were fluent in French so I felt safer as they could understand what was going on.

At about 6:00am just an an hour and half until we were due into Paris, there was a big argument on the train. Not being able to speak French I wasn't sure what it was about. But the English couple told me this guy who kept walking up and down the carriage all night was trying to steal things as this other person went to the toilet. That is what the bit argument was about.

It put me off ever using that service again, as you are locked in the carriage through the night with no sign of any staff etc. If go by train again I will stick to the much quicker day time services but it does mean an expensive stay in either Paris or Barcelona (it arrives at 8:30pm which is a bit late to be getting to the resorts from Barcelona)
Oh scary stuff. I don't blame you at all for being cautious. Maybe the coach is a safer option as you'll all be together for the whole journey.

I haven't been long haul on a coach for many years but often go over to Belgium with National Holidays. It's always been great meeting new people on the coach.
To be fair the bloke that got targeted had moved to the back of the carriage with no lights on and very few people, the front of the carriage is where people are allocated so people tend to keep an eye out and I think this why they allocate all the seats together.

It is more frightening not been able to speak a word of French, so if anything does happen I would not be able to understand what is going on, I had no idea what this near fight was about (all I could make out was the word police) until the English couple had told me what what happened on the way to Nord.

Still going through all the options for next year, as it takes me mind of things!

I am considering these options

1) Complete Siesta package (return and hotel etc)
2) Paying full price for a Ferris package, but asking for two seats on the way there, in return I will make my own way back by train.
3) Getting the train there and back in one day, most expensive option but will cut out the over night travel.
4) Eurostar to Paris, then take the Megabus down to Barcelona. Is a 14 hour coach trip though and security is a bit of a worry as per the night train. However from what I understand the drivers are English. I could get the same coach in London, but the Eurostar to Paris cuts out a huge amount of travel time and doesn't cost a lot more.

Don't think I could do a return journey with Ferris again, still having nightmares from last night!
I'd probably go for Siesta Club Class Premier as I'd be nervous of something going wrong if I had to change transport, especially in a foreign country by myself.

It may be a longer journey but you and your bags will be on the coach until you reach your destination. Do Siesta use the tunnel rather than a ferry? I must admit with National we've enjoyed the ferry as it gives you 'walk about' time.
I am used to all the trains in France, it isn't really a problem but it is a bit stressful only once had a problem with a French train drivers strike but in Paris they spoke just about enough English to explain what the problem was and how they would get me to Barcelona.

Siesta use the tunnel sadly, I much prefer the ferry that Ferris use.
I'd probably sit down with a piece of paper and write out all the pros and cons. Everything from times, cost, hanging around time, any extra expenditure etc and see which one comes out best :tup

Let us know what you decide.
FreyaMac3 wrote:
Hi - just read a lot of your posts, and as you seem quite positive about your Lloret coach holiday with Shearings, I thought I'd ask you a couple of questions!!??? We have just booked a nine day holiday for 25th October this year (because it was an absolute bargain!!), - we get on our feeder coach in the Manchester area, so have you any idea where we will be taken to join our coach to Spain? Also, did you stay in the Selvamar hotel - and if so, what did you think of it? Did you enjoy the included trip to Barcelona? - I am so excited about that!!! Finally, how did you find the weather in Lloret in October? The last time I went on a coach holiday was centuries ago, to the South of France, for 17 days, and it was amazing - but that's all I can remember about it! Thanks. :wave:

Sorry i haven't replied and it's too late now, but here goes anyway...

Your feeder coach will go to shearings hythe interchange. It's just outside Dover.
We stayed in the Samba;. A hotel from the 70's but it wasn't too bad.
The trip to Barcelona was brilliant. The walk down the ramblas was well worth it.
The weather in October was warm enough to sun bath and go in the pool every day.

BTW the leg room with Shearings isn't the best and we did get bottom ache, but the coach stopped every 4 hours and it does help if you take a cushion to sit on.
Cor blimey! I last did this trip back in the late 70's.
If my memory serves me, we made our own way to London Victoria and picked the the coach up there.
Then on to Dover for the ferry crossing, then onwards to Lloret.
Think it took a day and a half back then.
Can't remember how much it cost, but I can fly to Gerona with Ryanair (yes, I know) return for £30 - £40 these days.
I don't think i could hack all that time on the coach these days.
Happy Holidays!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.