Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Pippa I fully sympathise with you on this, they really should be standing on there heads to sort this for you all, I bet if Trevor Zahra had anything to do with it he would of sorted it for you by now, anyhoo hope it all gets sorted for youn asap to your complete sattisfaction.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Pippa,

I'm certainly surprised that the Coastline hasn't sorted out an alternative hotel for you by now. If there's anyone from the Coastline reading these postings maybe they could mention it to the management??

Trev
It may be that they have but I have not been contacted by either You Travel or Travel Republic.

I did email the person at You Travel who has been very good but it would appear that she is on hols until 25th April. I then emailed general admin at You Travel who replied that because I booked with Travel Republic I have to wait until I hear from them. Just goes to show that within a company you can get someone who will help you and others that won't.

It is complicated because Travel Republic sub-contracted out to You Travel rather than dealing direct with the Coastline.

Would dearly like to get this sorted - I know it is not until January but if the alternatives offered are not to our liking we need to get on with finding an alternative ourselves.

Pippa
Quite fancy the Hilton but don't think we will get that do you????

Pippa
Hello, I cannot understand why the Coastline is going over to a Saga Hotel, don't get me wrong we all end up old and still like to go on holiday but having been to a hotel in Mallorca once were they filled it up with Saga people after one of there own hotels was flooded I would not like to go to one.
The one thing that put me and the wife of was the way that they all seem to just stand around at meal times in the way of other people, I cannot also understand what the Coastline will make out of it as most of the Saga people don't spend much money ether, not in all cases but they seem to like there dinner a cup of tea then of to bed.
In my veiw the bar takings will be as bad as if they had lots studends there, again most Saga Hotels cater mostly in the winter time when these hotel need bodys on the beds to keep them open and not lay there staff of work, they must have a good reason for the change just hope it works out for them.
Pippa I hope you soon get sorted and have a great time when you do.

Dave
have just booked to go to this hotel in June.. from what everyone says i cant wait

anything special we should look out for?

thanks
Don't Travel Republic offer other Hotels in Malta ? given the time span and the fact that the Hotel are not willing to honour your reservation would'nt you prefer to sort out something yourself perhaps with another supplier. Most of these hotel suppliers do sub contract from a main supplier, I have booked via Travel Republic twice when the source is Youtravel. and with WSH when the supplier has been Jumbo Tours and have never experienced any problems with either.

Dave :sun2
Hi,

Yes Travel Republic do offer other hotels but until such a time as they are notified of alternatives by the Coastline then they will not change our booking without penalties.

Pippa
Pippa,

I think Dave has more or less summerised our fears about Saga. I'm not against how folks at whatever age spend their holiday as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else. However, the mentality of queuing up to wait for the restaurant to open at meal times that I've witnessed in the past, makes me a bit ashamed of some of our old folk. What on Earth must the Maltese staff be thinking about this behaviour? :think I guess it's aspects of this nature that puts me off staying in a Saga hotel.

I think you're certainly better off not staying there even if for some reason another hotel cannot be found and you were made an exception by the Coastline!!!

Trev
I can assure you that I have no intention of staying at a hotel that is exclusively for Saga - even though we are both old enough!! Can you imagine what the courtesy bus will be like - I think they may have to invest in more than one to cope with all those wanting to get into Bugibba.

Took a look at the Hilton web site today - gorgeous but what a price!

Pippa
We are also old enough to go with Saga but would never do so. I forgot about the Coastline courtesy bus and yes you're right they'll certainly need at least an extra one - or perhaps you'll have to get there early and queue! :rofl

Trev
Saga are taking on the Coastline on an all inclusive only basis by the looks of it. Not sure that this is good news for either the hotel or Malta in general really. Quite often people do not leave all inclusive hotels to venture out into the big wide world because all that they need is available 'free' in the hotel. This might not be the case in Malta as in other areas though.

I am beginning to wish that I had waited a while before booking flights and hotel as I don't think we would have done so had we known the Coastline wasn't available. We would probably have gone for our favourite destination of Majorca instead. Daft thing is that we didn't have to book so early as hubby took early retirement just over a year ago and in theory we can holiday when we want.

Pippa
I dont think that would affect Malta in general, as has been said the aged spend very little anyway, The coastline must be aiming at the wealthier over 50s to charge all inclusive. Hope they are not underestimating the all inc. pensioners expectations. Experience tells me they could drink the young students under the table.
Hello Everyone,

Apologies for my delay in sending an update however have been out for the country on a business trip and only just returned.

We have contacted all of our tour operators and advised them that we have made arrangemnets at the Fortina Hotel in Sliema.

Based on most peoples comments Sliema was the preferred resort which is one of the reasons we chose this hotel.

I have personally inspected the rooms and they do come very close to what the Coastline has to offer.

I am sure your tour operators would have contacted you by now but if not I urge you to contact them directly.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you need any additional information.

Thanks
Trevor
We are somewhat disappointed that the Fortina has been chosen. This is primarily an all inclusive hotel. For those of us who have booked half board that is what we will still get - somewhat strange in an AI hotel! We, like some others, don't particularly like AI hotels.

Also if you booked an inland room at the Coastline - which means a nice quiet country view then you will also get an inland (possibly garden/pool) view at the Fortina - but that most certainly won't be a country view - more like over buildings. When we were in Malta in January we walked past the Fortina - there is building work in the area.

We think that we will most likely cancel our reservation and find something more suitable ourselves.

We were really hoping that the Coastline would come up with something really special to offer as an alternative but it seems not to be the case. What a shame.

Pippa
well thanks to reading this forum and reviews i have decided the above is the best place for us to go andhave booked a week all inclusive there for 10-17th june at a very good price for 2 adults and 1 child

anything special i should look out for or know about the hotel or its environs?.. or any special festivals around that time
any sugggestions for must sees whilst there?? we dont want to go out every day but maybe a couple, have already decided to do a captain morgan cruise round malta/comino one day as i did that when i was in malta about 25yrs ago EEEKK was it that long!!!

can we get into valetta easily or should we book a taxi? and if so how much would it be?

anything else i should know

many thanks
Pippa,
Whatever you do don't cancel the Fortina. Even though I sent you a PM earlier I have to admit I had not read this posting because I simply replied to the alert on PMs through my email + I have was too busy to read the main forum.

However, as far as AI goes The Fortina really is upmarket. I think it's a brilliant choice that Trevor of Island Hotels is offering you and if you don't want it then we'll........need I say more? :tup

Trev
Hi there,

We have actually cancelled the reservation. We really don't want to stay in Sliema - and certainly don't really want to be half board in what is essentially an AI hotel. As I said previously there was building work going on in January and the Fortina did look slightly shabby from the outside. Reading reviews on another site it would also seem that some of the rooms are in need of a bit of TLC - I suspect they have concentrated on the 5 star bit next door.

We don't think that we are being over fussy - we have always said that the only hotel we would go to in Malta would be the Coastline - but that is out of the question now.

We do have a couple of hotels in mind - one of which we have stayed in before.

Thanks for all your advice - it is much appreciated.

Pippa
i have stayed in the coastline in April of 2006, and loved it, so have booked for October 2008. Much to my surprise have been expereinceing the same things as you - know one can book it. I have emialed the coastline and can confirm that the SAGA group has the monopoly of the hotel, and can advise that anyone booked there from September onwards contact their holiday company direct. I am with First Choice and they did not know anything, so their customer service is currently looking into it for us with a view to either offering us an alternative, arranging a completely new holiday or money back.

Its a shame as the coastline is a lovely hotel - thats why SAGA has obtained it!

I hope you all find another hotel in Malta! (Me well we shall see what happens, but Egypt sounds a good deal to me!) ;)

Rebecca
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.