Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Sliema2,

Thanks me old mate for those kind words. As ever we hope to have a great time. Sue says she's going to crash out and just relax but she knows I'd get too bored just doing that so I think we'll be going for a compromise!!

Will let you know how it went when we return,

Trev
hi all!

just thought it was time to update you! I have given all the relevent emails from the coastline to first choice . . . . . and guess what ..... they know all about it but head office wont acknowledge it until 6-8 weeks before we go ........... so we HAVE got to pay off the holiday, 7 off us going £3,500, by end july and yes you guessed it, WAIT till they contact us then and accept alternatives, get another holiday or get our money back! I have rang head office and they say they are dealing with it in date order!!!!!! They are aware of it!

So basically are are stuffed till then, because if we dont pay we will loose our deposits! Any ideas????

We are paying for a holiday that we and first choice know we are not going on but they wont put it in writing!? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Suggestions please

Rebecca
This is awful.

As there are 7 of you going it may not be so easy to find you alternative accommodation of the same standard in Malta if left until a few weeks before you go. I understood from the Coastline that the only alternative being offered by them to Tour Operators was the Fortina.

They should, at the very least offer you the money you have already paid back so that you can look at other holidays. If you are forced to wait until 6 - 8 weeks before you go before asking for all your money back (and even then it will probably be a while before it is in your account) you may not find it so easy to find another holiday for 7 that fits all your requirements.

I would keep pestering them - have you tried contacting the Coastline to see if they can put any pressure on First Choice?

At least Travel Republic refunded our deposit and we got most of the flight money back.

Keep us informed,

Pippa
hi all i finally have news!!!! :) but its all gone wrong again with firstchoice!

They finally wrote to us, offering us the Fortina Spa Hotel (5 star) confirming accommodation was there and for us to look at the website. Sure enough, it was there) no mention of the Fortina, surprise surprise!!

So off we go into firstchoice, where we are told that this is an error and it is the Fortina Hotel as children are not allowed in the Fortina Spa.

We promptly told them NO WAY as it was cheaper than the coastline on thomas cooks website!!! lol They we keen to keep our money though but offering alternative holidays etc, but after that expereince god knows where we would have ended up :que

So we have to wait 10 days for a cheque to arrive with our monies and we are now going to start all over again - any suggestions - but not malta!!!!

I dont think we shall be using first choice again.

Just a peaceful week in the sun for us i think :sun2

Rebecca
At last you have it sorted (more or less anyway).

I think First Choice must have got it wrong anyway. I can't see them offering the 5 star Fortina Spa which is far more expensive than the Coastline.

You certainly are better off getting your money back and then re-booking. As you say you could have ended up anywhere in Malta...............

Pippa
I'm not sure if Island Hotels (owners of the Coastline) are still offering the Fortina as the alternative but if they are beware.

I have just looked at Trip Advisor and the 4* Fortina (not the 5*spa) is getting dreadful reviews. There seems to be a huge building site next door with a number of large cranes - not what you want to see from your room. This hotel would seem like it has seen better days and perhaps like a number of other hotels is Malta needs pulling down or at the very least complete renovation.

I for one am glad we cancelled instead of accepting the alternative offered.

Pippa
HI

im glad we cancelled now - it has put me off going to malta!

so, we are going to cornwall for a week with the dog and no kids!!

and are taking the kids to eurodisney next february for 4 days!! they are mega happy,

so are we!

Rebecca
Cornwall is lovely - we are off there at the end of September - hopefully we will have the same good weather as last year.

Don't be put off Malta - it is a lovely place and the people so friendly.

Pippa
Sorry, I don't understand why you've been put off Malta since you've never been there and know very little about the islands. You've been let down by a tour operator that's all. It's much easier to arrange a trip by yourself today. Just book the flights, accomodation and that's it. Last time I used a tour operator/travel agency was in 1990 - 18 years ago.
How was/is the 'weather' in Cornwall? :rofl
Hi Folks,

I'd be particularly interested in hearing about anyone's experience who's been at the Coastline since it's become a Saga hotel. Has much changed?

I'm already aware of the price hikes but am interested in other aspects especially off those that experienced the Coastline before and after the take over,

Trev
can't believe this topic is still going!! Have heard that the coastline bookings have dropped tremendously since being taken by saga and they are now taking bookings again. Don't know how true this is?
Hi pondskater,

That was a most interesting comment you made that bookings had dropped tremendously at the Coastline since saga have taken over! I'm not surprised about this but what I understood was that saga have signed a three year contract with the Islands Hotel group so I find it hard to believe that the Hotel is otherwise taking bookings again?

You also mentioned that you didn't know if that was true or not.

However, since we've had some good times at the Coastline but are unable to use the Hotel because we can't take our son to a saga run hotel we'd certainly like to hear from anyone who has any more info about this,

Trev
However, since we've had some good times at the Coastline but are unable to use the Hotel because we can't take our son to a saga run hotel we'd certainly like to hear from anyone who has any more info about this

The SAGA agreement covers the months of September through to June between 2008 and 2011 so the hotel can still be booked for July & August if this helps you Trev.
Hi Kiltman-Graham,

Nice to hear from and yes you're quite right, saga will not be booking during July and August. However, we had heard that the Hotel plans to rent the rooms out to students during these two months but if you or anyone else knows different then please let us know,

Trev
we had heard that the Hotel plans to rent the rooms out to students during these two month

:yikes
Hi Kiltman-Graham,

Is that a picture of you in in a kilt in that avatar?

We've been at the Coastline before on several occasions, when they've had students and they've never been a problem. Must be something to do with the Hotel 'ground rules' laid down when they first arrive? :think However, I can't say that about other hotels in Malta where we've had bad experiences from unrurly behaved students. :yikes

I have emailed the Coastline to enquire about what is happening during July & August,

Trev
Cool Trev,let us all know what they say.
Hi pondskater,

Please read below the reply I received today,

"With regards to your query kindly note that unfortunately at the moment we cannot decide whether we will be able to take any bookings, for July definately not, however I will inform you once our Management has decided whether we can take other bookings or not. The reason being is that it is too early since we have no booking position as yet."

So I guess there's a chance that they might be open for business though it will depend on what management decide. If I hear any more will let you know,

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.