Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Coastline Hotel
95 Posts
Thanks for all the input but I am still concerned that I will spend the whole holiday with a peg on my nose!! Is Mount Maghtab the tip?
Hi Pondskater,

Yes it is but I still doubt if you'll need your peg, (but take it just in case!),

Trev
Trev

I believe thet technically Mount Maghtab (which is the tip) did close, but they opened 3 new dumps right beside it.
Just for Clarification.!!!

Maghtab was closed 2 years ago and is now being regenerated and the long term, plan is to develop this into a re forestation project - Some people are even talking about converting the whole area into a Golf Course (As Suggested by Leader of Opposition Alfred Sant) Stating that 3 new Dumps opened next door to the old is totally incorrect and I would appreciate if people could check their facts before throwing presumptions to the public without having the correct knowledge. What was created next to the old tip was a fully engineered landfill with all the technology and machinery available in todays world to ensure that the landfill is properly managed. Fully lined with membrane, and very craefully sifted and the necessary precautions taken to ensure a safe and pong free environment. Notwithstanding this it is only construction waste being dumped here. All other household waste is now being sorted and recycled accordingly. Not too sure how much of it is being recycled but apparently quite a lot. And no the smell from Maghtab no longer effects the hotel, not that it had a serious effect in he past, just the occasional day when the wind was blowing in the hotel direction, but then again only if the tip was buriong and this does not burn anymore since rock and stone cannot burn!! yes there is the occasional fire due to the internal combustion below the rubble but generally this is extinguished immediately.

Hope I have clarified this point a little better with FACTS rather than assumptions.
Hi I would to put my 2peeees worth to this, I and Mrs holidaymaker had a week here last new year ( the Coastline hotel )and at that point they were useing the tip but there was no smell from it, as for the salt pans we walked right by them a few time when we walked back from Bugibba again there was no smell.
As for the summer it must all be down to luck and the wind with the tip but the salt pans seem to be full of water and not making any salt so there should be no smell :roll:
The hotel itself is of a good standard for a 4* it is a bit out of the way if you like to get about a bit, but if you are one of those people who like to stay in a hotel or are on AI then this hotel has all you will need. the rooms are a lot bigger than most hotels with nice sea views at the front and if you are at the back ask for a room on the fourth floor or above for good views over to M-dina. Use the hotel bus to get to Bugibba with just a short walk to the bus station and from here you can get to most of the island, it pays to get a three/five or seven day bus pass if you like to get about and do your own trips.
So I would say go for it and have a happy holiday.
Dave
Many thanks again for all input, am feeling happier now about going. While we're there we have decided to get married so now can rest easy and look forward to holiday. CHEERS!! :
Hi Maltese Trev & Dave,

I'm glad you both got involved with this thread. As Trev knows I would have no qualms about staying at the Coastline and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in the future. I can think of other horrible places I would never stay in. The Coastline really is a lovely hotel- why would I bother calling in there when I'm staying elsewhere, if it stinks??

Pondskater I look forwad to your report when you return. Bet you have a great time. By the way if you hire a car there's loads of car parking space in the Hotel grounds and it's easy to get around the Island(s) from there,

Trev
Hi all, out of interest has anybody on here ever booked direct with the Islands Hotels Group ?, the reason I ask is because this morning I was talking to a business aquaintance of mine in Knutsford and he was telling me that in the past year or so he has booked directly with them for The Coastline Hotel in Salina, and also for later this year the new Golden Sands hotel at Golden Bay, and in doing so has saved quite a bit of money compared to booking via a 3rd party travel agent etc etc, I didn't know that you could do this with them directly :roll: and I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has also done this, now as a Northerner I have a sixth sense where there are savings to be had, :glynis which means that I can spend more money on black puddings, pigeons, clogs and flat caps, many ta's in advance.

Regards
Sliema2
No never done it direct but i know they have an online booking system on their website.
Will have to try it this way next time we go :D
Hiya all, Malta trev here. By now most of you know who I am so will not repeat this just in case I get done for advertising without a cause.

Yes we do have an online booking system, but it is always best to check direct with us via e-mail for the latest price. We do have some excellent special offers for winter especially for the New Golden Sands hotel. You can send me a private message or get hold of my e-mail from my profile.

Thanks
Trevor

PS Sliema2 yes you are correct many a tiome it does work out cheaper, depends on what kind of flight prices are available
Hi Jojouk & Trevor, many thanks for your replies, I will check it out next time we are booking for Malta, out of interest Trevor which hotels do you have in Sliema or St Juliens area's ?.

Regards to you both
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2,

No hotels in Sliema, but one in St. Julian's - Radisson SAS Bay Point Resort; one in Salina - The Coastline Hotel; One in Bugibba - The Bugibba Holiday Complex and one in Golden Sands - Radisson SAS Golden Sands Resort & Spa. or you can view all four of them at http://www.islandhotels.com

Cheers
Trevor
I was married in the Coastline and it's a lovely hotel. I met Henrik Larsson there when the Swedish national football team stayed there. In my opinion it's a lovely hotel and not too far a drive from Qawra/Bugiba, about 4 mins.
As for Mount Maghtab, that has been closed now.
I've lived in Malta for 8 years now and never heard bad things about Coastline.
They even used to sell the timeshares for Golden sands from there.
I think whoever stays there will have no complaints.

Happy holidays.
macca67,sorry to say,if you think the maghtab MOUNT is closed you have a big nistake.
malta31
Ciao Malta31, I fully agree with you about Mount Maghtab, we were last in Malta last month and it looked and smelt very much a working tip then.

Regards
Sliema2
it maybe closed to new business, but still stinks as you go past it on the coast road
Malta 31 I challenge you to go to Maghtab and ask the security personell at the gate if you can dump rubbish there....I am sorry your statement is totally WRONG. If you look properly you will see that the work that is being done is levelling and displacement of rubble. Yes occassionally there are small pockets of gasses which escape and catch fire but what do you expect after 20 years of dumping!!! The dump is closed and has been for two years and any person who says anything else does not know what they are talking about. I said it before and I will say it again - Get the facts correct before posting information, because it will be the incorrect postings that deserves to be put in mount maghtab.
Hi Maltese Trev,

If the dump is closed then to stop the smell I suggest that after levelling this site, it should be covered in a good layer of subsoil flattened and vented at various points where the gases can be burnt off. This would actually serve 2 purposes, the smell would disappear and the gases which consist mainly of methane would be turned into water vapour and carbon dioxide. Although the carbon dioxide contributes to the atmospheric greenhouse effect, methane happens to be one of the gases that destroys the ozone layer, hence it is potentially far more dangerous! Since Malta is also very enviromentally conscious why not harness the heat energy from this burning?

By the way this idea isn't so fanciful and was done some years ago, at an old land fill dump not far from where I live in the UK! (but not too near either!). There is a golf course on the site now and certainly no smell.

Mind you I would still stay at the Coastline again come what may because I consider it to be an excellent 4star hotel,

Trev
Hi, we are staying at Coastline hotel in August and are getting married whilst out there!! (Only been engaged 12 years!!) We have family coming with us and are wanting to know any good places to entertain children? Day and evening.?
Ages 7,12,14,16. Any ideas would be great. Getting married at Westin Dragonara Resort, anyone know anything about it? Cheers!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.