Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Coastline Hotel
95 Posts
Stayed at the Westin Dragonnara for a week a few years ago with my OH and kids. It's a very nice hotel, quite family friendly for a 5*, the only downside which won't bother you is it's virtually in Paceville, but you would not know this when you are inside the hotel, and it certainly didn't bother us.

Didn't see a wedding going on though, so trying to imagine where it will be. The hotel is perched on the edge of the sea with lovely pools and a rocky lido.(very busy in July), I'm wondering if they might do photos for you on the lido with the sea in the background which would look lovely.

If you are having the wedding breakfast there, so long as nothing has changed, the food should be good as we ate in the main restaurant 3 or 4 evenings. All dark wood and chanderliers.

Enjoy. :D :D :D
Hi again

If you go into the above web-site, and click on venues, the picture that comes up of "The Reef Club Sundeck", is what I meant by a 'rocky lido' (I didn't realise it had such a posh name :rofl )

Have a great time.
Hi
We are staying at the Coastline at the end of June and I have lots of questions, I was slightly concerned reading some reviews but feel better reading the replies on this forum,
Is it better to arrange car hire before we go or would it be easy to do when we arrive?
Does anyone know what the rooms are like please, is there a fridge or a kettle?
Are there any festivals/celebrations taking place during the week 27th June - 4th July?
Malta sounds wonderful, I can't wait! :D
Hi luccii,

Well fear not about the Coastline. We stayed there for a fortnight in March a couple of years ago and my wife and 15 year old son were there in Feb for a week this year. We are thinking and are almost definite about staying there for a fortnight this summer. What more can I say about how we rate this hotel? Would you return for a third helping if it wasn't a decent place??? :hmmm

We always hire our cars from Sundrive which is in Triq-il-touristi (Tourist Street), in Qwara, which is just down the road from where the courtesy Hotel bus drops you off. All the cars we've hired have been fairly new and we've never had any problems. :yipee Their web page is

http://www.sundrive.com.mt

We are usually flexible and tend to call round when we're there but you may be more likely to get what you want if you book over the net. They will deliver and collect the car as necessary. Ask for Joe cause he's looked after us over many years. Make sure you take out the extra insurance to cover waiver of exceess etc which only costs Lm2 to Lm3 per day :shrug and is well worth it for peace of mind! Also there is loads of parking space at the Coastline (have a look on Google Earth).

Rooms are clean, comfortable and tidy and are more or less what you'd expect from a 4star hotel. There is a fridge which if I remember is stocked with various items of mainly drink. If you're half board you pay for things you use and if you're all inclusive I guess the items are free!

My wife informs me that you can hire a kettle for something like Lm1.50 :shock: (or take your own!), per day though once again I guess if you're AI it would be included.

Don't know what festivals are taking place in Malta during your stay but yes you are right Malta really is wonderful and I reckon you've chosen an excellent hotel. Go and enjoy, :sun

Trev

PS If you hire a car nip over to Gozo on the ferry and find the beach at Ramla Bay - wonderful beach and great place to chill out with a couple of excellent beachside cafes/restaurants. :glynis
Hi Lucci, hope this answers your question about festa's:

Regards
Sliema2

Jun 25 Christ The Redeemer Senglea
Jun 25 St Nicholas Siġġiewi
Jun 25 St George Qormi
Jun 25 Our Lady Of Sac.Heart Burmarrad
Jun 25 St John Baptist Xewkija (Gozo)
Jun 29 St Peter & St Paul Mdina
Jun 29 St Peter & St Paul Nadur (Gozo)

Jul 02 Our Lady Of Lourdes Qrendi
Jul 02 Our Lady Of Sac. Heart Sliema
Jul 02 St Paul Rabat
Jul 02 Immaculate Conception Ħamrun
Jul 02 St Andrew Luqa
Jul 02 St Joseph The Worker B'Kara
Jul 02 Annunciation Balzan
Jul 02 Our Lady Of Mt. Carmel Fleur De Lys
Jul 02 The Visitation Għarb (Gozo)
Jul 02 Our Lady Of Mt. Carmel Fleur De Lys
Hi Sliema2,

Do you know when in August this year the Mosta Festa is taking place? Are there any other Festas taking place near to the Coastline Hotel during August? Any wine festivals or anything else taking place that you know of?

As you know I prefer Sliema as a summer base but we're considering staying nearer the Gozo ferry terminal (for regular excursions to explore the island!) and we know the Coastline is a good hotel with loads of parking for the car we'll hire. It's also not too far from Sliema anyway.

I'd be grateful for any info you have,

Trev
Hi Trev,

Mosta Village festa is on the 15th August but celebrations start on the 12th and 13th.

Regards
Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Blimey that was a quick reply! Thanks for the info,

Trev
Pleasure.....fast response means more time to relax for me and better service which puts a smile on your face :-))
Hi Trev, here is what I have festa wise for August, don't know about other what's on's check out http://www.visitmalta.com there may be some info there.

Regards
Sliema2

Aug 06 Trans. Of Our Lord Lija
Aug 06 St Peter Birżebbuġa
Aug 06 Our Lady Of Lourdes San Ġwann
Aug 06 St Joseph Qala (Gozo)
Aug 10 St Lawrence Vittoriosa
Aug 13 St Gaetan Ħamrun
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Għaxaq
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Gudja
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Mosta
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Mqabba
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Qrendi
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Attard
Aug 15 The Assm. Of Our Lady Victoria (Gozo)
Aug 20 The Assm. Of Our Lady Dingli
Aug 20 The Assm. Of Our Lady Mġarr
Aug 20 Our Lady Of Lourdes Paola
Aug 20 Stella Maris Sliema
Aug 20 St. Helen B'Kara
Aug 20 The Assm. Of Our Lady Żebbuġ (Gozo)
Aug 27 St. Pius X Santa Luċija
Aug 27 St. Paul Safi
Aug 27 St. Julian St.Julian's
Aug 27 St. Dominic Vittoriosa
Aug 27 St. Joseph Manikata
Aug 27 St. Bartholomew Għargħur
Aug 27 Maria Regina Marsa
Aug 27 Our Lady of Loreto Għajnsielem (Gozo)
Hi
Thankyou both for you replies, very informative, I've been looking at some photographs on another thread and it looks beautiful.

Luccii
Any wine festivals or anything else taking place that you know of?

http://www.delicata.com/maltawinefest.htm#
http://www.farsons.com/beerfestival/

Both are great :lol:
Hi Sliema2, Luccii & ingliza,

Thanks for the info Sliema2, most appreciated. Will probably drive down to Sliema for the Stella Maris Festa on the 20th.

Luccii - we've booked the Coastline for a fortnight from 10th August - can't wait to return :yipee (10th time in Malta!)- we shall also now enjoy! Don't forget to give us a full report when you return since we're gonna be particularly interested in what you have to say.

Ingliza thanks for the info about the wine & beer festivals. :glynis We're too late to catch the events in Malta but will certainly go over to Gozo. By the way one of our favourite all time Maltese reds happens to be Delicata Cabernet Sauvignon with its distinctive 'blackcurrent' taste that we enjoy.

Well we're off to spend the next week with our relatives in wet Wales :hmmm fly fishing for trout :fish and dreaming of our hot hols to come. :sun Thanks for all your replies,

Trev
hi trev
i too will be in malta for the last two weeks of august
i will be going to the b'kara feast of st. helen i have been there before and i can recomend it the fireworks are fantastic and a great atmosphere.
i'm also thinking ofn going to the gozo wine festival (although i don't no how i will manage to get back to malta, will prob. be found sleeping it off somewhere)

have a great holiday

sahha

alan
Hi Everyone

We've just returned from a week at the Coastline and have had a great time, food was good, we had plenty and was I felt good value for the amount we paid. Room was spacious, cleaned every day and the seaview was wonderful.
We did not notice a problem with smell, there were a few flies but no more than any other place we have stayed.
The buses were an experience :lol: but very easy to use and a cheap way of getting around, we were going to hire a car but didn't feel we needed to.
We went on an organised trip to Gozo (the first time we have done this) which was actually a lot better than we expected, the weather was very hot and it took away all the stress of parking and finding directions etc.
We also went on a boat trip to Comino which was beautiful but the whole day was too long in the heat, a half day is enough.
Valletta was wonderful, very busy but a good experience.
We were put off on the first day by the amount of timeshare people in Buggiba, however we went a few days later on the hotel bus and there were none :D
Overall I would recommend the Coastline, more so for couples, teenagers may be a bit bored, we would definitely go again both to Malta and the Coastline.

Luccii
Thanks Luccii for your comments on recent stay at Coastline. Puts my mind at rest. We are going on 1st August and getting married whilst out there. Was still worried about smell ( although everyone says this is not the tip but the nearby salt pans) and also flies. We are going with family and have children with us, 7,12,14,16. Hopefully we can jump in a taxi on an evening to get to other places with a bit more to do. Also looking forward to wine festival in Valletta which I have found out about through this forum. Cheers!!!
Hi luccii,

Thanks for your excellent report. I guessed you'd have a good time. I think also that you now know why we tend to hire a car when staying at the Coast line! :wink

Do they still sell draught Hopleaf at the Coastline and if so have you any idea how much they're charging for a pint this year? :glynis Was there any evening entertainment?

Pondskater we arrive just a bit too late (10th August) to catch the wine festival in Valletta, but I think it's going to be repeated in Gozo while we're there so we might just find ourselves over there for this event. Maltese Delicata, cabernet sauvignon - one of the most authentic I've ever tasted with a real rich blackcurrant flavour. Similar 'value' French cabernet sauvignon is totally tastless by contrast! give it a try. :P

It was a long time ago that we got married and I'm sure had we been getting hitched now we would definitely have done it in Malta! Have a really great wedding day and we might just bump into you in the Coastline if you're still there, :sun

Trev
Hi bhmtrev

We will still be there when you arrive, we we will be the family with 4 children and probably still hung over from wedding on the 8th!!
Does anyone know if there is a fridge in the room? I know it says mini bar but I need somewhere to chill my gin and tonic!

Where's the best place to hire cars from? See you in Malta. : :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.