Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Coastline Hotel
95 Posts
Hi Trev and Pondskater

There is a fridge in the room, it is actually for the mini bar but when you arrive is empty, you only have the mini bar items if you want to purchase them. You can also have tea and coffee making facilities for 1.50ml per day but I would take your own teabags if you like english style strong tea.
Yes they do sell Hopleaf on draught but I'm not sure how much as we were All inclusive although I do think its more expensive than in an ordinary bar.
There is entertainment every night and even bingo some nights! Johnny Gee is very good as mentioned before and other entertainers were fine, you can't expect west end shows! but none were very bad at all.
Feel free to ask any other questions if you need to and I will try to help.

Luccii :)
Hi Luccii,

Thanks for your reply. Although we have had many hols on an AI basis we prefer not to be AI in Malta for health reasons if you know what I mean! I'm glad they still have draught Hopleaf and I'm sure it won't cost the £2.80 I paid on Monday this week for a pint of real ale in one of our local 'country' pubs where we were having a meal! :shrug

We know Johnny Gee :smokin and he actually remembered my wife, Mrs bhm2trev and my son when they stayed there in February this year (she couldn't remember about Hopleaf!!!). I shall look forward to having a chat with him again since his intimate knowledge about various aspects of music lyrics is extremely good!

Thanks again luccii for all the info you've let us have. Hope you visit Malta again though of course like us you like to go to lots of different places. However we always return to Malta - our favourite. :sun

pondskater, as you have indicated and as you might have read, we hire from Sundrive car hire (INVALID URL They'll deliver and collect from the Coastline. Don't forget to take out the extra insurance!

Hope to meet you in the Coastline that's if it's okay with you because some folks that post on the forums prefer to stay anonymous and we do respect the feelings of others. Once again, best wishes to you both for your magic day on the 8th August and I do hope you manage to keep your G &T cool!!!!! :hmmm

Trev
Hi i am going to coastline on the 8th of august 2006, me (45) husband (50) and my party mad teenager (17), we are very worried about the smell and flies, any news from this years travellers..

we would like to know the transfer time and where there are some recent reviews... my son is 17 and would like to know if there are any other teenagers about the same age group to "chill" with on holiday

any help is much appreciated

barb,dave n lee
Hi burrowslee,

Hmmm the smell - well I have to say that as you are probably aware we've stayed at the Coastline before and didn't have any particular problem with the smell or flies. That said since we're there from 10th Aug, at the same time as you so I'd also appreciate any comments regarding this, off folks that have stayed there in August. Mind you we certainly don't intend staying around the hotel all day anyway!

Tranfer time is about half an hour but that obviously depends on how many hotel stops the coach makes to drop people off. I'm sure there'll be plenty of other teenagers for your son to 'chill' with. We have a 15 year old son who is coming with us. I guess at 17 your son will want to visit Paceville and the night clubs - just a short bus/taxi drive away,

8th Aug - are you flying from B'ham and if so is it the Thomson flight?

Trev
Hi

We have just stayed at the Coastline for a week and had no problem with smells or flies, there were a few, but no more than in England at present!
The transfer time was about half an hour as bhmtrev said, we were dropped of first however.

We had a great time and would recommend the Coastline to anyone, I'm not sure about teenagers but there were people of all different ages staying including several student groups.

Have a good time.

Luccii
hi and thanks for the reply in regards to our questions, are looking forward to going as not very long now, and yes we are travelling from birmingham on the thompson flight, in way of alcholic beverages as we are going all inclusive, is the beer their own brand or do they have some english beverages.

also would like to know as we are all inclusive if the mini bar in our rooms is "free" and regually topped up, or charged etc, and finally, we have requested a balcony, is this fairly private fom neighbours if you can see what i mean or is it fairly open.

much appreciated and who knows, may very well see you!

thanks again

barb dave n lee
Hi

All Inclusive lager/ beer is Cisk or Hopleaf, my husband usually drinks Stella but thought Cisk was fine.
The mini bar (fridge) is empty when you arrive and you can purchase a package of drinks to fill it if you wish (there is an order form in the room.) We just had water from the bar ('free') and bought some beer and soft drinks from Buggiba where it was cheaper although with being AI we didn't need much.

We had a sea view room with a balcony on the 3rd floor and could not see anyone else from our balcony, it was very private, although I'm not sure about anywhere else.

I'm happy to try and answer any other questions you have about the Coastline if I can.

Have a good time.

Luccii
thanks Luccii, your help is appreciated,

just a few more, i plan to take my laptop as you are able to gain access to the internet from your own hotel room, do you know how much and for how long, i hear great stuff about the night entertainment, what did you think?

thanks again

burrows family
Hi

I'm not sure about the internet access as I didn't use it.

The entertainment is similar to other hotel entertainment we have seen, probably better than most, it depends on your taste I suppose.
Johnny Gee is good. Its not really what you would pay to go and see but is quite pleasant when you are sitiing outside with a drink!

Luccii
well thanks very much, if there is any thing else i know who to ask, you have been very helpful

thanks

barb,dave n lee
hi there

Just a few other questions if you dont mind,

We are worrying about the evening dress code for dinner, do you have to wear full length trousers or are 3/4 length trousers acceptable?

we would aslo like to know about any excursions that take place?

Would you recommend shopping there (for clothes etc)

And finally is it easy to get a sunbed by the pool or do you have to get up at the crack of dawn and reserve yourself a bed?

thanks very much
barb dave and lee
Hi barb, dave & lee,

Well it's formal wear of an evening so take your tuxedo and make sure any ladies in the party are wearing evening dresses for the dining room!

Only joking!!!!!! When we've stayed there although I reckon it's frowned upon to go into the dining room of an evening in shorts or swim wear, if you're wearing normal casual wear I think that would be okay. Three quarter length trousers Hmmm :hmmm - I suppose that's acceptable for ladies/girls but I reckon they'd expect us blokes to wear full length trousers. They are a 4 star hotel therefore they do have certain standards and I think that you'd appreciate that.

Excursions, there are lots on offer & if you're thinking about them nip into the local town where if you shop about, generally you'll get a better deal. We don't bother with excursions since we frequently visit these magic Islands and have found that hiring a car is both comparatively cheap and you can visit lots more places. Mind you if this is your first visit then I think it might be wise to go on a few excursions but as I said - shop around for the best prices.

We wouldn't generally buy clothes in Malta. From past experience clothes were relatively expensive but this may have changed. Nevertheless there are some things you might think are worth purchasing but that's for you to decide.

Regarding sunbeds maybe luccii could enlighten you about this since I don't know,

Trev
Hi

I didn't notice any problems getting sunbeds but it was June and not high season, I think some people did wear 3/4 trousers for dinner but with a shirt rather than t shirt, it was less formal than we thought it would be, but as Trev said no shorts or vests at dinner.

We went on two organised trips, the one to Gozo was very good, the one to Comino was ok but far too long, it was a whole day and you were left on Comino for four hours, it was far too hot and although the views were wonderful there is very little to do except sunbathe or swim, and there were jelly fish!
It is very easy to get to most places by bus, we caught the bus to Valletta from outside the hotel.

Luccii :D
hi
thanks again... any thing else we think of will post. thanks for you help

see you there

barb dave n lee
Hey luccii,

Just noticed the HT moderator who's handle is luci! Is that any relative of yours or just a coincidence??

Trev
Hi Folks,

Well it's come at last and we're off to the Magic Isles :fly tomorrow for a fortnight of enjoyment and relaxation. :glynis Hopefully I'll be able to check my mail providing I can access the internet at The Coastline or locally and if there is anything you want to know about the hotel or otherwise, I will try to give you a reply while I'm there, :sun

Trev
Hi Trev, we hope that you and your family have a fabulous holiday in Magical Malta, sink a couple of hoppies, blues, and cisks for us, and it goes without saying that if you need to know anything post on here or send PM and I will try to answer you ASAP.

Sahha
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2,

Cheers & thanks for your kind thoughts, Will post or PM you if I need any help as suggested,

Sahha (first bit of Maltese I ever learned in 1981!!!!),

Trev
Well here we are back home after our brilliant holiday in Malta staying at The Coastline Hotel. Our holiday was special as we got married, all went well and the day was brilliant. The Coastline hotel staff were wonderful, any problems or queries were immediately sorted, they couldn't do enough. The hotel itself is lovely, rooms spacious, maid service every day, food wonderful. There were 10 of us and we had no problem getting sunbeds round the pool. The flies are a bit of a pain, although they seemed worse nearer the back where the trees were. There is a bit of a pong every now and then and it does seem to come from Mount Maghtab (the tip) but it is not bad and wouldn't put me off staying there again as it is a good hotel. If anyone is going soon, go on the Captain Morgan Jeep Safari and Catamaran day to Gozo, it's fantastic!! Well must get back to my pile of washing! :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.