Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Coastline Hotel
95 Posts
I have never stayed at the coastline (passed it many times) but I have met several people who have stayed there, and they have all said it was very nice and had no serious complaints.
The only drawback for you may be the fact that the Coastline is situated by itself on the coast road overlooking Salina Bay, there is a bus route that uses this road but not very frequently.
If you want to get out and about you will have to hire a car or travel in to the nearest resort (Qwara / Bugibba) which is approx 7-10 mins drive and get a bus from there.

The hotel runs a courtesy bus to Bugibba several times during the day so you could use that to get in to Bugibba and plan any trips from there.

This link will give you some info on the hotel -

http://www.medhotelsdirect.com/hid/20030624122645803423.php

Graham 8)
Hi Rob,

We stayed at the Coastline a couple of years ago. I can tell you that it is a good quality 4star hotel and you've made a good choice. Food is really excellent with lots of choice and the staff are really friendly. During recent holidays in Malta we've popped into the Coastline to visit their cafe even though we were staying elsewhere!

I do suggest that you hire a car because even with the courtesy bus, the hotel is a bit out of the way. It's also the only way to go to Gozo and visit some of the out of the way places such as the cracking Ramla Bay beach and the Inland sea on Gozo. There are other places that you can also access quickly and easily by car on Malta that take ages on the bus.

There is ample car parking space at the hotel and I usually hire from,

http://www.sundrive.com.mt/

which is just down Triq-il-touristi, in Qwara where the courtesy bus terminates. Ask for Joe who will sort out a good deal for you but please make sure that you take out the extra insurance for your own piece of mind. I have used this company quite a few times and found their cars, service, and hire charges very good.

I could continue to say nice things about the Coastline but I think you'll find out for yourself. If there are any specific questions I might be able to help you with please ask. Have a nice holiday and please post your report when you return,

Trev
We love the Coastline Hotel. Great food, lovely rooms and good entertainment should you want it. If you have a sea view room you do get great views over to Qawra but unfortunately not a lot of sun! If you have a back room you will get the sun and if high enough views across to Mdina.

Yes, it is a bit isolated but the buses pass by to Bugibba and Sliema.

Good pool area although as we have been in the winter months we had plenty of room. There is a small indoor pool but that might be a bit too warm this time of year.

Have a great time - Malta is lovely.

Pippa
I have just taken all of yor advice and for the first time I will be driving abroad, good job it is in the correct side of the road then!!! :D
Hey Rob, who told you that they drive on the same side of the road in Malta? I think you'll find they tend to drive in the shade! :lol:

Seriously though from my experience of driving there I really don't think that they drive any worse than some of the nutters I encounter daily on our roads. In any case the speed limits are much lower generally than in our country. Some roads are in a bad state especially those 'off the beaten track'. Keep your eye open for speed cameras especially those that have been sighted by the tunnels where speed limits are only 20kph!!!!

Anyway I bet you'll enjoy driving in Malta. Please let us know how you get on,

Trev
Hi Rob

It is a good decision to hire a car as this lets you see so much more of the island that so many tourist miss :cry:
As you will have a car you should go to the north of the island and get on the Ferry to Gozo, the island is very beautiful and quite, I am sure you would enjoy it (mark can perhaps recommend places to go if you are interested)

Who told you the Maltese drive on the correct side of the road ?

The Maltese drivers are MAD :yikes each one is a budding racing driver and the general rule of the road is that you drive on whatever side is the shadiest :shock:

Seriously I am sure you will have a great time and driving in Malta is very easy.

Graham 8)
I know this might sound stupid, but is there anywhere in Malta that has a reputation of being haunted? :yikes we would like to go and veiw the real Malta, visit old towns.
not sure about haunted, but for old towns, Mdina is a must visit, and also Victoria in Gozo (the area due south of the Citadella)
You may wish to take a look at these websites

http://www.theculturedtraveler.com/Archives/JUL2004/Mdina.htm#Top

http://www.freewebs.com/ghostsofmalta/index.htm

Mdina is well worth a visit and when there you may want to visit the catacombs at Rabat, details of these burial chambers can be found here along with a whole host of other Maltese heritage information.

http://www.heritagemalta.org/catacombs.html

Graham
how did I forget the catacombs !
Booked to stay at coastline hotel salina bay aug 2006 but have heard horror stories about a rubbish tip behind hotel. Apparently smell and flies are a problem. Can anyone shed any light on this??!! PLEASE!
Hi Pondskater,

I have to say that I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Coastline, since I consider it to be a really good Hotel. I understand your concerns and yes there is a tip at the back of the Coastline but whether you'd be bothered by smells and flies, I can only relate what I know. The tip itself is not exactly right next door and is some way from the Hotel. Flies can be a problem wherever you are in any hot Country but I really don't think you'll be particularly plagued with them at the Coastline.

We stayed at the Coastline a couple of years ago during March and we didn't have a problem then though I guess at that time of the year you wouldn't expect flies etc. I have 'dropped in' on several occasions but not stayed, during Summer hols, for a drink and I've never noticed any bad smell or large numbers of flies.

I might be wrong but if I were you I certainly wouldn't even consider cancelling or changing my Hotel, in fact I'd really be looking forward to my break next year and the thought of smells and flies would be the last thing on my mind!

Trev
Just out of curiosity can you smell that awful smell off the salt pans in this hotel as i know it isnt far away either.
Hi jojouk,

Yes the salt pans do stink. However they are sort of down hill and a reasonable distance, so I doubt if the smell ever reaches the Hotel. It certainly didn't when we were there but as I said it was March and it's not so hot then.

I don't think these salt pans are used now and I do wonder why they've not been removed, though they might have some sort of preservation order on them because of their historical value. Does anyone know ?

Trev
Looks like the salt pans may still be used!! Check this link out if you are interested,

http://www.thesaltpan.com/uk/index.htm

Mind you I've never seen anyone working the salt pans in Salina Bay!!

Trev
Hi Trev, the salt pans were badly damaged in the severe floods of September 2003 (what an experience that was for us :roll: ), and to the best of my limited knowledge are in the process of restoration, I don't think that they will ever be removed because yes they are protected but it would also be a bit strange to call it Salina bay without any salt pans, also, I stand to be corrected on this but I was led to believe that the smell in this area can sometimes be caused by Maghtab depending which way the wind is blowing (if at all) and especially in still warm weather.

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Sliema

I think you may be right about the smell coming from that eyesore - Mount Maghtab, this is the only landfill site I know that has turned in to a mountain.

We have visited the park area and monument at Kennedy Grove, on the outskirts of Burmarrad, many times and haven't noticed any smell coming from the salt pans, which are located not far behind the park.

You mentioned the flooding, I know that a lot preperation of work has been done in this area recently in preparation for a new flood prevention scheme to try and prevent flooding in area, there is an area near the salt pans that gets rather marshy due to the water not flowing in to Salina bay as it should, and I wonder if occasionally you can get a smell from this marshy area as compared to the actual salt pans.

Graham 8)
I have driven past this area quite a few times and can say that there are two very different smells depending on the time of year and wind direction.
One is definately Mount Maghtab, the other which smells like sewage and in fact that is what I thought it was! Must be the salt pans of which you speak.
Not always noticeable but when it is, wow what a pong.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.