Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Spoke to a friend of mine today who runs 'Queen Victoria shack' on Coco beach, and in his words "..little bit of problem, but OK, still here".

:offtop Now, HIS dad is our 'best' taxi-driver!!
I spoke to a friend of mine who lives in Nerul village behind Coco beach a couple of weeks ago and at that time there were no shacks on Coco beach. I'll try to get an update.
it wasn't this years monsoon that washed away coco beach, it was the year before. i think last year there were a couple of shacks there trying tgo keep it going, (even though most of the beach is missing).
we were going to a beach shack by the name of Pn's shack further up on ashwem beach. :cheers :sun2 he was a casualty of the desimation of cocobeach. DIDN'T LIKE COCO BEACH ANYWAY!!!!. :omg :omg
BOB
We've just got back and Coco beach is still there and there are moves to get the shacks up. There is the usual dispute with the fishermen about space now that one end of the beach is reduced. So far there is one full shack there (Delly Dolly's) and another that is serving drinks but not food.

Blacky is around - the dolphin trips are still taking place at Coco. 4 'official' licenses have been issued with a further 4 'non-official' (???) ones. The owner of Blacky's shack has an unofficial license so we were told by Blacky.

A word of warning for females - Indian tourists are the main customers for the dolphin trips and I had to endure A LOT of unwelcome attention.
:wave:
Was there a few days ago, Coco beach aint Coco beach anymore, very sad, very dirty, one shack up and running - as someone else said lots of Indian tourists taking the boat trips but little else. IMHO give it a miss.
There is one thing worth going to coco for...................

Go to delly dolly and try lizettes kingfish vindaloo, trust me it's the best in goa! (just order it 2 hours before you want to eat it) :)
We visited Coco Beach this for the first time in 4 years - what a shock! It was much smaller than previous years, with half the beach eroded away. It used to be quite peaceful with just the odd boat doing dolphin trips. Now it is chock full of such boats and whilst we were there (just after Christmas) it seemed half of India were wanting to go to see the dolphins. The sunbeds were in a dire condition - I can only think no-one is investing in new ones as there is a chance that the beach will be completely gone in a couple of years.

There was a dreadful sewage smell coming from the back of the beach and. together with the diesel smell from all the boats, definitely a place to avoid imo.

By contrast we visited Morjim/Ashvem for the first time this year and it was heaven - relatively few people and swimming was a pleasure with no strong riptide.
Candybabe
After reading this I would be suprised if there is any left :duh http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=15940&cid=26

Another fine display on how to ruin an already troubled tourist industry. :duh
Wow - that could possibly affect the dolphin trips too because I am pretty sure there is a tie up between the shack owners and the boat owners who take people out. The other knock on effect will be for the taxi drivers who take you to a specific shack and presumably get a payout from the shack owner.

Having said that, the beach was pretty awful in my opinion and I could not personally understand why so many people went there - we purely went for nostalgia reasons. We had our worst meal ever at the shack and the sun beds were really packed in.
Candybabe
hi
i was there in april,a lot of the beach is gone
the red stone steps by the shack that had just built overnight rooms are gone,and it was much less pleasant than it used to be .however blackies shack is still there as is blackie the dog who led us back through the bushes to our taxi
Went to Coco Beach when we first arrived, only a few shacks amongst the fishing boats, really smelly and dirty this year.
Oh for the days when we could sit on the otherside of the beach near the river.

Gave a local from Coco beach a lift yesterday, she was a shack owner, and she said all the shacks had been raised to the ground by the police. Rumour has it even when people were eating. :yikes

Dolphin trips are still going from the beach, but the owners are tied up with indian tourists, but I am sure they will take you if you ask them, or you can go to the jetty on the otherside where there is a queue system for dolphin trips. :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.