General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Get a Nationwide one and it won't cost you a bean.
But don't Nationwide cover that with abysmal exchange rates? I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure I heard that they do....
We did an experiment earlier this year using three different types of transfer - firstly using a currency transfer company, secondly paying into our Portuguese bank account via Girobank in the UK and thirdly using our Nationwide FlexAccount card in Portugal. Guess which gave the best exchange rate - Nationwide ..... and no charges! Admittedly the Nationwide withdrawal was about 2 weeks after the other two and it's possible that rates may have changed slightly in the meantime. But it's certainly not true that you get penalised on exchange rates to make up for the benefit of paying no charges/commission. Go for it!
Have always found Nationwide to offer a slightly better rate on withdrawals
from atm's whilst abroad.
Hobo :wink:
well the thing is - im still none the wiser what to do. i was going to take bout £1400 for the week for us all (2 adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 4) as this will have to cover the food too, but thought it would be enough. dont really want to take it all in cash but then dont want to spend loads in changing it up with travellers cheques etc.

dunno what to do - any ideas?
dunno what to do - any ideas?

The answer has already been given - the Nationwide card is by far the best option. You can draw up to £300 per day, saves you carrying cash/travellers checks and your cash is changed at bank rates instead of tourist rates. I have had one for over two years now and reckon on saving at least 3% on each transaction. May not seem much, but say saving £30 per £1000 x maybe 5-7 times a year, it all adds up.

Robby :wink:
I got a nationwide card last year and it had NO charges and when we looked at our statement we had a rate of 1.49 to the pound (euros)
In resort it was only 1.42!
It's so easy to just draw money from the banks too!
Every other year I've taken all my euros with me because i don't like paying £1 - £3 for every £100 I exchange but now I take about £50 in foreign currency and my Nationwide card! Plus my other cards just in case I lose it!!!
Definitly Nationwide. Better than average exchange rate and no charges. That is because you are a member and not a customer so therefor the company is not obliged to fleece you for every cent it can to pay its shareholders! Same goes for their credit card (visa) on purchases.

Had my card for 5 years now, have used it in France, Spain, Holland and the USA without any problem.
Nationwide all the way. It's a godsend.

I've used ours both to withdraw local currency and as a debit card in Greece, Spain, Italy, France, Prague, Tunsia and the USA - all without any problem and we've always been happy with exchange rate.

I just transfer all our holiday money into our current account and withdraw as and when required. It's so easy.
If you go to this page on the Nationwide site it well let you compare all the top Banks/B societys with their own rates by using the drop down menu. Very useful if you want to know what YOUR bank charges for withdrawing abroad :shock:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/default.htm
Here's a direct comparison. Whilst in Spain at Easter I withdrew money from both my Nationwide Account and my NatWest current account.

Both withdrawals were for 300€ on the 18th April using the same ATM one after the other. The info is from my statements

NatWest - rate 1.4314, charge £4, ERTF £5.20 total cost £218.78

Nationwide - rate 1.445 Total cost £207.52

No contest really is there?
absolutely, it's like a free bottle of jack!!! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.