Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Sorry to hear about your experience in SB, I was pickpocketed this year although I caught them in the act and they didn't get anything....was a young teenage girl and a few cronies of the same age group, this was in Nessebar while getting on the bus!

I personally would not go back, just felt like I was getting 'ripped off' on too many occasions
After watching a programme on Channel 4,on how they treat their disabled children I wouldnt go back free,even though I had a good holiday at the Marina Palace in Nessebur.
How they got in the EU is beyond me.
I get annoyed when I read things like "how they treat their disabled children I wouldnt go back free,even though I had a good holiday at the Marina Palace in Nessebur.
How they got in the EU is beyond me."

You would think Bulgaria was unique in having some standards they are not proud of, look at China( female babies, left abandoned by their families ) some of the care facilities we have in Britain are shocking, especially for the elderly. How did we get in the EU?
There is some excellent work being done in the orpanages by volunteers( some are forum members ) and yes it has a long way to go but remember in comparison to us they are a very poor country and we as holiday makers are rich in comparison.

Have you been to London recently, 21 youths now murdered, street crime out of control, muggings ,pickpockets etc,etc . Shocking revelations about the care home in Jersey.
Scandals in the church over child abuse. All of this in a country supposedly more civilised and advanced. This is worse than Bulgaria.

Ive been holidaying in SB and GS for a number of years and the actions of some people don't make it a bad place. You said you had a good holiday, then please go again and help put more money in the local economy to help improve Bulgaria.
Toonman ,China is not in the EU!.
I watched the programme after being advised not to as it was horrific.I have worked with disabled children and watched it out of interest.The treatment the workers dished out to those poor defenceless children made me cry.What was more shocking was after it was first shown there were many International charities willing to go in and help,by re building,painting and to take the children possessions.
The Matron and the Major would not allow anyone in to help by making the statement that there was nothing wrong with the place.
I can assure you I would have been the first person to go and help,but they wouldnt allow help.
I have been to London recently as my 2 children live there,but I hate the place.I have also been to Jersey many times and love the place.
I was shocked at this programme and couldnt understand how this could go on in a EU country.My friend has an apartment there and is always asking me to go but I refuse.
Anyone with any doubts please try and watch the C4 programme.
Jaytrip, I am one of the posters who is actively involved in aiding the orphanages in Bulgaria. if you care to send me a pm. I will forward a contact address in the Midlands. Many posters on here have seen the photgraphic evidence of improvements to the one I have visited over the past 10 years. Tonyt
Quite agree with your post Tonyt and I know that there are several more places that are taking on board correct care for children and adults. My sister has a learning disability and a group she is involved with has been visited several times by workers from orphanages and care homes for adults to enable them to see how life can be improved for the people they care for when they return to Bulgaria. It was not so long ago that our care facilities were pretty grim and some still are especially for the elderly, there was something about an isolation hospital (part of a mental health institute)in England on newsnight last week that still had women 'imprisoned' in the early 1990s, they were typhoid carriers and from what I saw none of them had mental health problems when they were 'put away' but developed them through the imposed lifestyle. I worked at weekends whilst my children were small (saved on childcare but hubby and I did not see much of each other) with learning disabled adults (late 80s/early 90s) and some of the facilities individuals came from were horrific. The regime imposed by the communists throughout eastern europe meant that people who were not 'perfect' were removed from society but that was not so different to what was happening in England 30 or 40 years ago. We have changed our ways over time others should be given the same chance, especially those who do not have the financial wherewithal to do so.

Sorry, rant over. Nels.
Jaytrip, I know China is not in the EU I was mearly using it as an example of another place where terrible things happen. In fact horror stories abound even in the most advanced countries. Nels, I too saw the news programme about UK citizens being locked up for life just because they carried the typhoid virus

Bulgaria has only been in the EU for about 2 years and is still a very poor country ( I think the pension is a whole £13 per month ) There are a number of people on this and other Bulgarian forum sites who are actively involved in aiding some of the orpanages, both with physical help and monetary aid and their work has to be seen to be admired.
I am proud to say I have met Tonyt in Bulgaria and his passion and commitment to his orphange deserves a medal. The recent photo's from Tony are a testiment to the great strides they are making.

Given time things will improve, but it will need all the help it can get ,and the more people visiting the better the economy and hopefully better conditions for all the people.

Toonman
Things are more likely to improve by people visiting, rather than burying their heads in the sand and refusing to go. There are many visitors to Bulgaria who help and support these places but do it quietly with no fuss or attention-seeking behaviour.

Things are changing allbeit slowly.

Patka
perhaps we also shouldnt go to America, Jersey, North Wales and to be honest most countries in the world as theyve all got various problems so it not just bulgaria
I originally started this topic as I wanted to share the frightening and humiliating experience I had in Sunny Beach when I was mugged, and then intimidated by the police when I reported the crime.

I'm glad it was broadened into a debate on Bulgaria's human rights record, and although I didn't see the Channel 4 programme which is being referred to, the plight of the disabled children in that programme is something we should all be talking about.

The purpose of this follow-up is in response to the editor removing the final paragraph of my original letter, stating that it contained "inappropriate speculation."

I won't repeat this in the same wording as it will probably just be removed again for the same reason, but Mr/Ms Editor, an allegation was made to me by a local taxi driver that petty crime is being orchestrated by people in positions of authority in Sunny Beach, and if so, then the travelling public and the Bulgarian authorities themselves need to be made aware of this. This is supposedly a 100% independent website, not a court of law where the hearsay rule would make this information inadmissable, and even if its inclusion is damaging to tourism in that country, this website is called 'holidaytruths', and I will swear on anything holy that I'm telling the truth as it was told to me.

So let me try again by stating that this is a wholly unsubstantiated allegation made by a local taxi driver to me (and my son) that most local petty crime is controlled by members of the police force themselves, and it was his personal opinion that I was treated badly by the police in order to dissuade victims from reporting the crimes to which they had been subjected.

There - one person's opinion. Mr/Ms Editor, please give your readers credit for being able to draw their own conclusions from it without editorial censorship.

I believe I have performed a service to my fellow travellers by making this unsubstantiated allegation known to them. I also hope that the editor will now see this statement in that light and allow it to remain on view in this blog.
So let me try again by stating that this is a wholly unsubstantiated allegation made by a local taxi driver to me (and my son) that most local petty crime is controlled by members of the police force themselves, and it was his personal opinion that I was treated badly by the police in order to dissuade victims from reporting the crimes to which they had been subjected.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
An allegation by a taxi driver, wow!

We've been going to Bulgaria since 1989, and have got to know quite a few taxi drivers to the extent that I know how they operate and play the game with them. Every big black car is labelled "Mafia", the biggest of them being "Mafia kreznik" of course - Mafia godfather. Police by the side of the road are always "bandits", as are the security checkpoints at the resorts, especially if they charge entry fees.

The Bulgarians like to impress gullible tourists with tales of conspiracies and the Mafia controlling everything, but it's largely myth, or should I say true to the extent that there is organised crime all over the world, especially in Eastern Europe in the vacuum left by the fall of communism. Taxi drivers however are much the same all over Eastern Europe, I've had similar conversations with taxi drivers in Moscow in Soviet times. The Mafia then were the party members in their big black Zils being driven down the centre lane.

Since the fall of communism in 1989, some have prospered others have not. For those who haven't done that well, the Mafia are a convenient scapegoat, as are gypsies by the way. But I know Bulgarians who have done well such as businessmen, senior police officers and judges. We've travelled in their big black cars!

They've done well because after communism they worked very hard. They had the work ethic which communism tended to destroy.

The Black Sea resorts are certainly no worse than others in Europe and probably safer than many due to a largely unseen police and security presence.

Peter
Peter, :que you seem to take pleasure in belittling the fact that such a statement has come from a taxi driver.
Why? Are all taxi drivers liars or something.
Do you think all London cabbies tell all there customers how bad the capital is, so they wont return.
Do you not agree that this would have a negative effect on the economy - because I do - and I'm sure the taxi driver does too...... unless he is a wholly uneducated man; :duh but why would he lie about such a statement. He lives there all year round doesnt he?

And by the way, I'm not a taxi driver or an uneducated man, but one with an open mind who is willing to listen to others views and opinions without dismissing them as laughable!
Peter, you seem to take pleasure in belittling the fact that such a statement has come from a taxi driver.
Why? Are all taxi drivers liars or something.

I've heard the same stories from Bulgarian taxi drivers since 1989, and I'm just passing on my experience. Feel free not to believe me.

Peter
I've heard the same stories from Bulgarian taxi drivers since 1989

I'm sorry but you have just contradicted yourself.

If this is the case why do you dismiss what they say. Is there not some truth in it if they have been saying the same for 19yrs?

Bulgaria, whilst it is still classed as a developing country and an EU member, it is still very poor and struggling to break from a regime and way of life that has existed for decades. Even recent diplomatic events have highlighted that Bulgaria needs to break free from its organised crime and corrupt ways if it is to continue to be a member state.

The majority of such organised crime is more prevalent in the holiday resorts as tourists are seen as easy pickings.
The majority of such organised crime is more prevalent in the holiday resorts as tourists are seen as easy pickings.

And you know this because?

Peter
I know this because i own a property in one of the black sea resorts and i spend quite a lot of time there.

I have several friends who also own property and a couple who live and have a business there.

You never actually said how you gained your experiences of the country.
Taxi drivers however are much the same all over Eastern Europe, I've had similar conversations with taxi drivers in Moscow in Soviet times. The Mafia then were the party members in their big black Zils being driven down the centre lane.

Peter your messages are leaving me a little confused. You've denounced the words of a taxi driver because they supposedly play games with tourists. This certainly seems unlikely as tourists are their life-blood in Sunny Beach and if they tell scary stories which end up driving tourists away then their own incomes will certainly suffer.

As to the above quote are you seriously suggesting that the well-documented organised in crime in Russia is also a myth? It has been reported on in so many news articles over the last few years, including the reputable end of the media spectrum.

But perhaps like the taxi drivers they're all "playing the game....?"
Gunner4139, you ask of Peter's experiences of Bulgaria, I know for a fact him and his dear wife have been over 25 times, I am not at liberty to divulge his contacts, but due to his connections, I was the only visitor that Micheal Shields had apart from family members when he was in Prison in Varna. I am indebted on behalf of my religous connection for Peter's assistance. Tonyt
  • Edited by Tonyt 2008-08-14 17:05:25
I think I've explained it quite well, and if you wish to believe everything taxi drivers tell you please do so.

Those who know Bulgaria play the game with them and take it all with a big pinch of salt.

Peter

PS Thanks Tony, I've just spotted your post
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.