Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hi Anne-Marie
Like a lot of places, it is really just about keeping yourself aware. Be careful about putting your bag down etc. mostly just common sense. I have been a victim of crime in PDLA (hotel room broken into and safe left in pieces) but am of the opinion it could have happened anywhere. We made the mistake of taking with us a fairly substantial quantity of cash in sterling which is always more difficult to recover in the event of an insurance claim. I suggest Travellers Cheques or using ATM's abroad, something that is easier to replace and/or to notify the issuer immediately should you be unfortunate enough to became a victim. We also were robbed in Cyprus so it can happen anywhere. We spent several hours in the police station in PDLA and there was a constant flow of crime victims, all nationalities and all ages - a lot of which I'm sure could have been avoided if people remained vigilant at all times. But hey, things like that happen in the UK too :roll:
Hi Anne-Marie

Like Claire says common sense prevails. We have been travelling to Tenerife for over 23 years and stay around Costa Adeje, PDLA, Los C areas and we have never had any rpoblems in all that time.

Relax and anjoy your holiday

Regards Jackie
Many thanks for both your replys.

In terms of the best beaches & places to shop where would be the best place to stay?
Hi Anne Marie
IMO The area around the Mare Nostrum Resort is particularly nice. That's just at the (upmarket) end of PDLA where Los Cristianos begins. There are some lovely shops,bars and restaurants at the Safari Shopping Centre and also at Americas Plaza. The beach here is Playa Del Camison and is very nice and clean. There are also lots more shops,restaurants,cafes etc. at Parque Santiago which is right beside the Mare Nostrum Resort. All in, that whole area is really very nice.
I went to Tenerife at the beginning of May this year and stopped in the Fanabe area which is also very nice. I have also stopped near the Mare Nostrum resort that Fiona mentions and would probably agree that this is the best area to stay out of the two (but only just). Playa Del Camison beach and Las Vistas beach are in my opinion the best two beaches on the coast (although playa del duque in Costa Adeje is very nice - but expensive for a sunbed or food).
We regularly stay in the Costa Adeje / Playa Fanabe area and wouldnt stay anywhere else.

I guess it is all a matter of taste

Either way I am sure you will enjoy.

Re: Crime, just be sensible.
We live here and many of our neighbours only stay a few weeks a year in their houses. There is never any break-ins and no car trouble.

Unlike the UK where I got my hire car window smashed on my last visit while parked in a so called secure car park!
Many thanks for all your replies. I think i will definitely go ahead & book for April/May next year.

Fiona Ingram you mentioned the Mare Nostrum Resort but i cant seem to find any info on it. Do you know of any website where i can get prices?
same as if you was holidaying in the uk, usa, asia etc just beware and keep things close, don't advertsie the fact that you have a camera or purse etc and you'll be fine.
Hi Anne_Marie85
Someone else was asking for info. about one of the hotels at the Mare Nostrum before and I'd given a reply here
http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=781748&highlight=
The hotels are the Mediterranean Palace,the Julio Caeser Palace,the Marco Antonio Palace and the Cleopatra Palace.
The Mare Nostrum website is http://www.expogrupo.com but I wouldn't recommend booking with them direct,if you decide to do so,it's much cheaper to D.I.Y.
Here's some photos of the Mediterranean Palace and other areas of the Mare Nostrum Resort from some of my previous holidays there.
  • Edited by FionaI 2006-07-21 10:13:51
Many thanks for all your help Fiona, i shall have a look around.

Where did you say i could view some of your holiday pics?
Sorry Anne Marie,was trying to find them myself!! :lol:
Here they are

P.S.should also have mentioned that the Sir Anthony is part of the Mare Nostrum Resort too,but if you stay at one of the other 4 I mentioned you can't use the facilities or pool there....very posh! :lol:
There's probably a few more pics of places in the surrounding area in the Photo Gallery under Tenerife Album/ PDLA
Hotel looks lovely.

Fiona Ingram - I'm planning the hoilday as a present for my mum, also my aunt will be coming along both are a similar age to you so was just wondering how you found the entertainment?
To be honest, I don't go for hotel type entertainment Anne Marie,but I did sit at the bar for a drink one night and it seems very popular with people up dancing to a live band,a dance troop etc.,and they are always promoting special "theme" nights.There's always the show at the Piramide de Arona (part of the Mare Nostrum Resort) which is well worth a look...excellent dancers. The last time I was there (in June) it was still showing Romeo in Love...not like ballet... what you might think initially...very funked up version of Romeo and Juliet/West side story,a really nice night out. They do change the show about once a year,but it's always of the same standard...have seen a few different ones over the last few years,or so.
There are loads of really nice Bars (that'll suit both your age groups),Restaurants etc. in the surrounding area too,so you wouldn't be short of something to do. :)
  • Edited by FionaI 2006-07-21 11:38:04
Fiona

I think Anne-Marie was asking in a round about way was, is the entertainment too loud for a person of your delicate years :rofl

My 20 year old used to think that of me until I told him I was clubbing till 6 in the morning a few years back on a girly week away, and my husband and I have came home on several occassions over the last few months at 5.30 in the morning after attending some of our friends fiftieth birthday parties. I can't wait till he is my age and realises that life does not end at 25, but does begin again once the kids are off hand more. :lol:

Regards Jackie
:lol: :lol: Yeah Jackie I know what they're like :wink: ,although i don't have kids myself,I've got nieces and nephews in their late twenties.
Like yourself,I still love a great night out,plenty of Vodka and diet coke and a good laugh with my girlfriends and sisters. I'm determined that NO WAY will I ever be past it. :lol: .
Fiona thanks once again, you seem the knownledge of all information when it comes to tenerife & have been a great help.

Jackie my mum sounds a bit like yourself, i'm sure her & my aunt will be out partying most nights but the option to have a quiet night in aswell is always good.
Anne Marie

I hope you took my post the way it was meant - just a bit of fun :lol:

Rgds Jackie
:lol:
Anne Marie
No problems. Hope you get what you're looking for really soon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.