Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
timclark,

I flew to Cuba with TCX to Holguin via Cayo Coco. It's not too bad, just means a short stay at the airport while the aircraft is prepared for the return flight. Have you got a flight number? TCX174K/L? I can't remember if the flights are direct or not during the summer season, its the quieter winter flights that opperate via other airports normally.

Darren
I can't answer any queries regarding Cuba, but I booked a package holiday for Benidorm via Portland .... flying this next Saturday (21st)
The outbound journey is with Thomsonfly and the inbound journey is with Thomas Cook airlines.
I have booked in the past with Direct holidays and they have used Thomson...
I don't know the reason for this, except the flight may already be booked up for one leg of the journey and in order to offer/sell the package holiday, they buy seats from other airlines to still be able to sell the complete holiday.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Oh and I booked the holiday on-line and during the booking process there was no option for an inflight meal.
I phoned Portland and I was informed that because they are using Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomas Cook include meals on their flights, then we also will get one..on both journeys.
I queried this again when the tickets came through and I was told the same information, even though it says "no meals" on my booklet.
I'll let you know if it happens.

Sanji
Portland are part of Thomson and as such the majority of their flights will be with Thomsonfly. Same as majority of Airtours flights are on MyTravel, jmc on Thomas Cook etc...

However, the tour operators can't fly every single flight on their own airline. That would need a massive fleet, and would be uneconomical, especially in quite seasons as you'd have lots of aircraft sitting around doing nothing. Therefore tour operators will buy seats on other airlines for flights they can't operate themselves. Sometimes they will charter an entire flight with another airline. This is especially true of long haul flights. There probably isn't enough demand for each tour operator to operate their own flight from each airport. therefore some will operate from one airport, some from other airports, and they'll buy seats from each other. Thats why your not on Thomsonfly, but on Thomas Cook.

As for your actual flight I can't say whether it has a stop off or not. Ring up Portland or Thomas Cook to find out. Again the stop will be because there isn't enough demand for a flight to each airport, so they combine. Also bear in mind that "direct" in the airline world means you dont have to change planes. But this can still include a fuel stop.
I have booked to go to Varadero and booked Thomson as they are upgrading their flights for long haul (or so I thought). We would have at least had the extra legroom as standard 33". I now realise that I will be on a Thomas Cook flight and to get ugraded to a more comfortable seat will cost us nearly £500 extra as a couple.
I thought this was a bit naff, I realise now that I could have booked with First Choice and got a decent seat for the standard price.
Lorraine
thomas cook flights to Holguin and Varadero operate on separate days this Summer so no stops en route.

hardly think it's a 'horror' story though if they did!!!

In Winter there are stops and doubling up as there is simply not the capacity to send two half empty planes to HOG and VRA!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.