Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
CUBA
227 Posts
reptile,

That time of year can be unsettled and unpredictable. However, you may have 2 weeks of glorious weather. If you want to go to Cuba (I've been twice, fantastic country) then its a risk you'll have to take I'm afraid. Weather Underground is a useful resource looking at weather patterns, but bear in mind aug/sept is in the middle of hurricane season so there's always a risk of bad weather. You'll find reviews of the Brisas del Caribe here. I've seen the hotel from the outside when we dropped off their after diving and it looked nice enough, can't help you anymore than that i'm afraid!

If you've set your heart on Cuba and thats the only time of year you can go, then go for it. It's worth going sooner rather than later considering the current political climate.

You could try going to Miami for the day, but expect to be surrounded by the US Coastguard if you try!! The Gulf of Mexico / Florida straights is a well known route for Cubans trying to flee to America. There are very tight restrictions on travel from/to Cuba and America, ie no chance unless you hire a private aircraft and get permissions in place through the relevant authorities. It is actually illegal for US nationals to travel to Cuba with severe penalties if they do. Its worth getting a history book or doing an internet search in to the history between America and Cuba before you go, it'll open your eyes and make sense when you get thier. Make sure you visit Havana, its only 2 hours by bus from Varadero and well worth the visit.

Darren
yes well seen some bad reviews on caribe,
any good excursions we can go on, im into wildlife and reptiles.

also the hotels sol palmermas and barcelo solymar have good reviews and comes up cheap.
are these nice.

if it is bad weather will it be bad the 2 weeks?
Reptile,

I stayed at the Solymar and can recommend it, especially the Bungalow Suites (well worth the extra). The Solymar is in a good location as well. Bar 52 is only 5 mins walk down the road and comes alive at night if you wanted a change from the hotel.

Excursion wise, Havana is a must. You can't go to Varadero without spending a day in the capital. I spend half my time diving which isn't the best in the Caribbean, but still plenty to see. For a small fee, 5 convertable pesos I think it was, you can get a bus ticket for the day and just hop on and off the tour buses and tour around Varadero at your leisure, markets, a shopping centre etc. You can have a play with the Dolphins if you want, but the dophinarium in Guardalavaca is much better.

There isn't the selection of excursions there are on some of the other islands, but still plenty so see and do. You'll see plenty of reptiles around, especially in the park (can't remember what its called now) and running up and down the footpaths and trees munching on insects!

if it is bad weather will it be bad the 2 weeks?

How long is a piece of string??!! It's impossable to say. My Caribbean hol is always in March because the weather is more settled at that time of year. Its impossable to say what its going to be like.

Darren
some people said the meals arnt lovly,what did you make of them,i think it will be cuba now,

we can get it 2 weeks end of august AI, for 3 adults my child will be 15 for £2105.
is there snakes? any safaris you can go on for the day?

how big is varadero and roughly a good selection of shops?how bigs the shopping centre,
any info on were i can look at excursions.
Many thanks for posting the links Dazbo :tup

Pippy :D
reptile,

There's plenty of reviews on the Solymar here (including mine!). Food is always personal prefference. Personally, I thought it was quite good. After 2 weeks, it could get a bit samey but generally, there was always a good choice and it was decent quality. Any hotel which has a help yourself chamaigne counter for making bucks fizz at breakfast is good enough for me! The Italian restaurant was excellent. The other people with us went to the fish restaurant (I don't like fish, would rather play with them in the sea than eat them!) said it was excelent as well. If I was going back to Varadero, the Solymar would be on my shortlist without hesitation, especially for the price you've been quoted.

I never saw any snakes but I'm sure there are if you know where to find them. Varadero is set on a 20km long paninsula. The western side of the resort is the 'hotel zone', downtown Varadero being at the eastern side. A lot of the hotels are set to the west of the resort which is one of the advantages of the Solymar, its one of the closest hotels to the downtown area so easy to go out at night if you wanted. There's a designated 'eco park' which is mainly mangroves but worth a visit to see some of the wildlife in action.

Cuba isn't really a place to go shopping because of the trade embargoes. If you like cigars and Rum, then its the place to go. If you want to go shopping for things other than souveniors, then Cuba isn't for you. The Centro de Convenciones Plaza Americas is the main shopping centre with a few jewlers and designer shops, and there are a couple of flee markets. The tour busses stop at these on a regular basis. A couple of hours and you've seen everything. Its mainly clothing (but not New York!), cigars, rum and souveniors. I'm not sure about safari type tours to be honest. The main government run tour opperator in Cuba is Cubanacan. Their website may give you the info you're looking for.

Hope that helps,

Darren
as long as its not boring,nothing to do,we are quiet active and places to go etc we wil be happy,is there any other resorts close by apart from havana,

my husband is worried about the hurricane season and doesent want to go,honestly hes a pain.

did you see lots of reptiles geckos and lizards etc without even looking,were they nice?
I would do a bit more research reptile I suspect it may not be what you are looking for.
not much to do,well ok butmy husband is worried about the hurricane season and doesent want to go,what happens if theres a hurricane?
could anyone reccomend a hotel,everyone i get up has good and bad reviews,

so far we have

#
# Brisas Del Caribe
Palma Real
G Caribe Puntarena
#
# Coralia Club P.D.O
Sol Palmeras
Barcelo Sol Y Mar
#
# Barcelo Marine Pal

whats best for accomodation,food location etc.
For further hurricane advice (only), please post in THIS topic. Thanks.

You can read various Caribbean resort reports HERE and hotel reviews HERE.

did you see lots of reptiles geckos and lizards etc without even looking,were they nice?

First time I went to Cuba I certainly didn't need to look far for geckos! One lived in a hole in the ceiling in the corner of of my bedroom in the Casa particulare I was staying in. We managed to peacefully co-exist for the fortnight :-)

However, that aside, Reptile, I just have a feeling that Cuba might not be for you. There is very little tourist infrastructure outside of the resort hotels which is one of the reasons I love it but it's not a destination for those for whom shopping is an essential part of a holiday - by the time of my second trip I was struggling to even find souvenirs to take home for the family that I hadn't already brought back on my first trip. Outside of the hotels and Havana Vieja you won't find much in the way of bars aimed at tourists etc and finding the best small private restaurants depends on finding someone with a lot of local knowledge - what's hot changes frequently. The only excursions are those available through the state tourist agency and they can have some strange ideas about what tourists would be interested in doing.

To be honest, unless you have a particular interest in Cuban culture or politics then there are other Caribbean destinations that are just as cheap but which are more geared up to tourists and which might suit you better. Though if you have to go in the hurricane season then the cuban authorities do seem to cope better than other destinations with dealing with them.

SM
Reptile

We love Cuba and are nowing (Jun 07) heading back for our third trip, I think personnally Cuba is not what you are looking for, if you are still interested I think maybe the Playa Pesquero in Guardalavacca is more suited to you, still very little outside of the hotel, but the hotel is very large and has numerous sporting activities.

I have not been to the Varadero area, so can't comment, but have been to the Cayo's and Holguin, the Cubans are lovely people and have very little compared to the western standards that we are used, saying that they will always welcome you with a smile and share with you what they have.

Word of warning though, doing daily trips does become very expensive especially as you will be paying adult prices for your son.

Don't worry about hurricanes the Cuban civil defence program for dealing with hurricanes is one of the best in the world - note of interest the Playa Pesquero beach area - tends not to be hit by hurricanes as it is further up the island.

Have you though of Sharm El Shiek in Egypt, loads to do and great nightlife. We went there in Jun 06, though I still prefer Cuba, we had a good time.
no id rather go to the carribean than the red sea.
im not overlyy intrested in shops,how big is varaderos main strip,along as there is some good excursions.also what other islands are you thinking of, the dom rep is dearer? anymore?

so if there is a hurricane what happens?
Hi Reptile

Please see my previous post.

I really think you could perhaps assist yourself a little more by searching the forum! There's plenty of hurricane, hotel and resort information :wink:

ok,but i would like peoples advice too,not being funny.
If there is a hurricane, usually you have to draw your curtains, and keep away from windows and stay in your room unless told different by the hotel staff, usually the power is turned off.

Trips are usually the same where ever you are in Cuba as they are all government run, we have done, Dolphin trip (about £85 per person), Catamaran (£45 pp) 3 day Havanna (done from the Cayos)(£250 pp) there are other trips to towns that depend on where abouts you are on the island, these are usually £30 pp.

I really do think you need to do some serious research before you goto Cuba - there are not strips like we have in Europe, usually only one or two bars and lots of sand, like I have said before I cannot speak for Varadero, but Playa Pesquero beach - has no bars except for hotels, Playa Esmeralda - two or three small beach bars - Cayos's very little apart from your hotels.

Hotels in Cuba are either beach based or for those more adventurous you book private Casa's and stay and eat with the locals.

Cuba also tends to be 80% Canadians with the Brits only probably making up 5% at most (this does depend on the hotel).

Please research thoroughly as it is a very long flight and a very long holiday if you don't like it.

I would advise you to get injections before you go and stock up on the mossie spray as Aug time the mossies can be quite active.
reptile,

You'll see plenty of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/lizard3.jpg
(Hiding under a parasol, taken at the Paradisus Rio De Oro, Guardalavaca)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/81498_1145872717.jpg
(Sunbathing on a palm, taken at the Barcelo Solymar, Varadero)

and these if you're lucky:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/81498_1146982366.jpg
(Walking in the park! Taken in the park in downtown Varadero)

Darren
thanks very much,anymore

also the brisas del carible commes up for £1952 . AI 14 NIGHTS 3 ADULTS.seen mixed reviews on this hotel.
i think cuba would suit us.how long do hurricanes last for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.