Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Hi tweetie :)

When you change the sterling travellers cheques in Spain, do the Spanish Banks/Exchange Bureaus charge commission and is the exchange rate normally similar to what we get over here as say the Post Office/M&S ?

Thanks.

Doe :sun2
hi doepsmc.....Ive not noticed being charged commission....but cause of my bank my cheques are I think commission free if cashed at certain spanish banks....I have only ever cashed them at the bank in the reception of siesta campsites....and the rate Ive got has been similar to what I at home...so cant give you definate answer ....I take what I need in euro's and travelers cheques....I um and ah about what rates Im getting when I buy the euro before I go.....but once I run out and need use my travellers cheques I have no option but to take the rate on offer at the time...so I dont stress over it.....but if your going to be charged commission you will be charged wether its cash or cheque....I think you get charged when you buy the cheques.....but like Ive said I have account that doesnt charge for cheques or a fee for exchanging currency....I feel safer using the cheques rather than my cards and you pay extra if you use your cards abroad anyway....and taking all cash is just asking for trouble ...its a red light on the stress meter....how safe I feel is important to enjoying my hols....so I keep to the system that seems to work well....tweetie
Hi, does anyone know the cost of withdrawing money from an ATM whilst in Spain, do different banks have different charges? I am currently with Halifax, does anyone have any experience of this at all?
Hi John ... you should check with your bank about fees for overseas cash withdrawals or other transactions, and also ask if you need to notify them in advance for security reasons of your proposed overseas use of the card.

David :wave
Thanks David, i will contact my bank asap,

John
Hi, anyone know the exchange rate of pounds to euros in the ATMs in Estartit, Spain, what would i be likely to get? I have looked on the internet and it seems to be 1.14 to the pound, is it any better in Spain anyone know?
hi john100....where have you seen the 1.14.....thats what its trading in the world markets just now....but the tourist rates are always lower....some you have to use credit or debit cards on and get delivered or collect from airports are offering higher rates but not 1.14....highest is 1.12 ...but thomascook is the best for collection with no commission ect and offering 1.11....so wondering if you have info on a good deal somewhere....tweetie
XE Currency convertor tweetie, type in how much you want to change and it gives you a rate
emailed cala gogo today to check they do offer currency exchange as its a new siesta site this year and they only exchange euro travellers cheques
Euro travellers cheques, if you can still get them, are not recommended as you are charged commission for changing them.

luci :wave
thanks Luci but looks like my only option unless I can find somewhere to change sterling ones in playa d'aro :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.