Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
are the spanish offering a better exchange rate than us,my duaghter fly's out sunday, were she best changing money, thanx in advance
What were/are the prices for drinks in Calella end of 08/09. been paying from 2.50 in a small bar up to 4.50 in a cabaret bar in Benidorm last week.
Going for a week AI at the Calella Palace 1st week June. Have read a load of drunks get there determined to get as much drink down their necks as possible.
Does anyone know who recently been to santa susanna or to costa brava the exchange rate over there please?
it depends on how/where you change up your money.

personally i just use ATM's and get a better exchange rate than using cash.

the only exception to this is when buying ciggies/tobacco when most tabacs will give you an exchange rate about 3 cents above the current tourist rate for english money (sorry cidermonster, i've never tried to use scottish money so i don't know about that ;) )

there is no real difference between buying in the uk or in the resort. just make sure you have some euros for any initial expenses when you arrive like deposits for rooms/room safes/tv/first nights booze etc
Jim, i personally wouldn't entertain anyone that won't accept Scottish notes for the same as English notes, and that goes for ENGLAND too, where i've walked out of many a shop :tup
'Hey Pal, I think you'll find that's legal tender that is' :D
Todays currency markets

1 English pound is equal to 1.0000 scottish pounds! :)
Given the current economic climate, i think any place refusing to take Scottish notes is being rather stupid!! I've seen plenty of places abroad who will now take them, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I can remember seeing places in France years ago offering HALF!!! How this was allowed is beyond me, not that i would expect Great Britain PLC to stick up for Scotland (gets off soapbox before he goes into a rant! :duh )

As for the UK, well i get paid and i go to my cash machine and it spits out Scottish notes. If a shop down south won't take them, then that's their loss!
FYI, rate of €1.14 for each £ when i was in Spain (withdrawals via Nationwide account)
Exchange rate in Calella at the moment 1.08.Pay a 2.90 return train fare to Malgrat and get 1.13?. If changing 1000 GBP thats an extra 50 GBP????
I'm going to Calella tommorow from Edinburgh and yes I have scottish notes..wanted to exchange them for english notes to save a headache when I get there and also to get a better exchange rate over in spain. Was told by the local Bureau de Change that he cannot exchange scottish money for english money??? He is not allowed?? It's the same currency isn't it!! Surely he has 10 english £20 notes in his draw.
So, do I exchange the money for euros at the airport in the morning or do I hold out and hope to find a place in Calella that will accept scottish notes as they would english?
Don't know about places in Calella accepting Scottish notes, but the airport will more than likely give you a very poor exchange rate.

I would nip to your local corner shop or supermarket if it's open, buy something, and ask if they have any English notes in their till they would be willing to exchange.

luci :wave
Thanks for the help...managed to talk to my very friendly shop keeper near me and he went to his house and got me the english notes I needed, problem solved :)
Went to Lloret for the day on yesterday and noticed 1.09 being offered. So how come places in Malgrat are giving 1.13 no commision?
the tabacs in lloret ususally give about 3 cents more than normal exchange rate per £1.
i noticed that tabac in malgrat, near the eureka pub, was giving better rates than lloret. may be to do with the fact that the younger element who tend towards lloret are not as street-smart as they pretend to be.
There are a few ATM's dotted around, especially along the main town strip. My honest view is that you shouldn't go to Callela in the first place, it's horrible and sooo skanky everywhere.....
Just got back from Calella (first time in Spain) My hotel was 15 euros a night...nothing fancy, the town was so so, the beach was nice, the food and drinks was fairly cheap, rolling tobacco at 2.50 euros a pack (got 13 of them), got 1.14 to the £, but the best thing of all was the cheap train along the coast to Barcelona...great city! oh and the spanish women :yikes
hi folks,
can anyone please tell me what the exchange rate in malgrat is at the moment
thanks
jan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.