Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
sorry i don't know the area personally but there is an ATM' in the following location with 24 hr access
TOMAS CABREIRA, HOTEL ALGARVE
PRAIA DA ROCHA,

Haven't had an update here for a while so today for cash in town it was 1.135€ = £1.
It's that time of year again, we're off to Cabanas again. As we found out last year, there are no bureau de change in Cabanas and we had to go to the Western Union office in Tavira to change our travellers cheques. Does anyone know if the Western Union office is still there as it doesn't seem to be listed on their site.

Thanks,
Mark.
Hardly anyone uses traveller's cheques now so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it had closed.

I've been to Tavira recently and don't recall seeing it.

But their website refers me to the local CTT Post Office??

But then again if you type in Tavira into their search function most of the results displayed are nonsense. Pampilhosa was 300 miles from Tavira last time I was there.

I know there is a Western Union in Albufeira, in the Modelo Shopping Centre, but that isn't very helpgul if you are in Tavira.
Hi cubsur, ta for replying, that's the info I got when I looked as well which makes me suspect that it's closed. I'll put some money on a Travelex card so I can use it at the cash machines in Cabanas.

Mark.
Hi, heading out to Albufeira on tuesday (7th sept).
Just wondering what the exchange rate is for taking sterling out thinking about 350 euro and £350 sterling, and where would the best place be for exchanging?
Thanks Mark.
1.145 in town yesterday.

There are change shops all over town, so ask your hotel or apartment reception for the nearest one. Most of them are owned by the same company, so the rate is the same. Banks don't change money.

Dealing in cash you will get a better rate in the UK than here, but make sure there is somewhere safe for your holiday money to sit while you are out on the town and certainly don't carry all of it around with you.
Hasn't been much asked here lately, but just for the record the slide of the £ against the Euro continues; €1.08 to the £ for cash here yesterday.

That's a 5.5% reduction in a month if my calculator is correct.
Hi, off to Sunny Portugal (Albufeira) next week. What's the exchange rate like in the resort? Would prefer to get a limited amount of Euro's at home and take sterling and exchange in the resort as and when we need it. Usually the exchange rate in resorts are at least comparable with back home and so long as you use reputable exchange places you are okay.

Anyone any views/advice please.

thank you!
1.089 on Tuesday. I am in town later so will get the latest rate and update here.

You will always get two or three cents less to the £ here than you would in UK. Most of the change shops are owned by the same company so the rates won't be different. It's certainly not worth shopping around to get an extra cent.

But why bring large amounts of cash? It's much safer to use your card and withdraw cash as and when you need it. And of course use your card in restaurants and shops just as you would at home.

You might take a very slight hit on the exchange rate (depends on what your bank charges for foreign transactions) but that is surely much safer than carting great wads of money around and risking losing it or, worse, having it stolen.
thanks cubsur.

Its a mix of cash (euro/sterling) + card transactions. I do get stung on card fees/exch rate though, hence taking cash.
1.08 in Albufeira old town last Saturday 1.0768?? on the strip
Best get your money at home at the moment they are only giving 1'07 to the pound here in resort today
the best rate in bedford this morning was at Cash a Cheque they were giving 1.154 euro to the pound
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.