Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
As long as you pay £100 into the account within a month of receiving your card you then only pay in whatever you need.
  • Edited by diydaz 2008-09-27 07:59:09
Quote:
But remember, the maximum one is allowed to withdraw from any machine in one day is €200.

.... Not so :the maximium amount per transaction is €200; you can, however, make two such transactions per day.

Not so with the NW Flex acount card Sagres.
Well, not with my card.

We (hubby, two sons and I) pooled our holiday funds into the one account so there were ample
funds in there but we could not withdraw more than 200 Euro's per day with that card.
We did try to but the *hole in the wall* wasn't having any of it. :(
Hi Jayjan,

I haven't arranged for any regular funding to go into my NW Flex account.

Gotta go out now but will chat more about it later if you want.

Bye for now :wave:

Milly
x x x
I think that must be peculiar to your card, MillyMolly, and nothing to do with the Multibanco system; I've certainly never had a problem with using my card on a second occasion during the day, sometimes immediately( well within minutes) after the first transaction. Maybe something to do with NW's security proceedures; do you let them know that you'll be using your card abroad?
Yes Sagres, I did.

I agree, I don't think for one minute it's to do with the Multibanco system.
I'm pretty sure its just something that's the norm for NW Flex account cards
(although I could be wrong.)

I wasn't aware of the restriction prior to using the card, but having discussed it whilst
abroad (and back home) with other NW Flex card users, it appears to be the *norm*
for that particular card/account.

That's why I thought I would mention it here - for any future users of the NW Flex card.

Had I known about the 200 Euro limit per day, I would have made the account joint so we
could have used my husbands card as well.

No worries though. He's going to open one for himself in readiness for next year.
In that case I can only assume that they have a diffferent policy to other card issuers. Having said that, it's not a problem as long as you're aware of it, is it? ;)
Hahaaa, famous last words Sagres! :haha

(I won't mention the day we needed to draw out minumum €400 - nightmare! :rofl
Can laugh now but at the time.... :( )
Oh yes, it'd be well worth it for you Jayjan, it really would.

I tell you, I was so impressed with the rates we got - ok, very low on last year, but really good
compared to what was being offered both here and in Portugal. :tup
Thanks for the advice, looks like the bank card is the best option.
To answer previous post first, I am reliably informed that you can make 2 x 200 Euro withdrawals in the same day. I have never done this myself as walking around with €400 in my pocket doesn't feel to safe!

Exchange rate for cash yesterday in town was 1.21
Glad to see the rate is slowly going up. :)

I wasn't limited to €200 per day withdrawal with my main bank card, but I was with the
Nationwide Flex account card. Good job I had my other bank card to fall back on, but
the downside of that was not so good rates and getting charged for the pleasure of using it. :(
Co-op Travel were giving 1.24 on friday when we went into our local town but you had a minimum spend of £500.
has anyone tried the pre-book internet sites for their euros ? the earlier you request the better the prices . yesterday the post office site was offering 1.27. my worry is that they either post the money out to you or you collect from airport or their shops.
Just looked at the post office online rate and it is now 124.90, I was thinking the same nosivad, do they post it to you securely eg registered post. The Co-op travel were still giving 1.24 as yesterday afternoon.
yes i think so Jayjan,they say by courier ? but i don't know anyone who has used this.
i went to my local travelex yesterday and they had changed to a co-op the rate was 1.213 but i said i could get 1.24 from sainsbury's so they rang head office to see if they could match this and lo and behold they said if i bought there and then they would do 1.24.i took the offer so i hope i did the right thing (only two and abit weeks to go :tup )so the motto may be to say you will walk out the shop if the can't match the better rates !!! :D
Just been on Crown currency exchange and the are giving 1.26 for 9 to 14 days delivery.
i don't think i would like to have to pick up at airport on day of departure, a bit like ticket on departure scenario (not for the faint hearted :yikes ) i suppose if you live near enough to the airport you could put a date for collection earlier than actual fly out day. other than that use one of the providers that deliver to your home.
Just bought some from crown currency and they guarantee they will deliver to the door on the 24th October, obviously that is too late for you nosivad with you travelling the day after. BTW we ended up getting 126.50 from them, so quite pleased.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.