Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Got 1.286 for withdrawals the weekend using our Nationwide card
1.17 for cash in town yesterday. Lowest rate ever as I recall.
Gail thats bad 1.08, have you tried Marks & Spencer they seem to give an above average rate, or the Tui travel agency shops.I was lucky buying in advance from crown currency exchange in November for delivery in January and got 1.28, & wish I'd bought more, not knowing that the euro would drop so low within the last few weeks, but hope you enjoy your holiday regardless of it costing you more than anticipated, I'm sure you will.
When I get back from town later I will post today's rate as offered in the change shops in Albufeira, so brace yourselves.

At least with the £ and € more or less at parity it makes the sums easier. I'll bet that Europeans travelling to the UK are loving it.

Scant consolation I know for those coming here but, as Jayjan says, if we had known that the rate would fall nearly another 10% in the space of 2 months then a bit of currency speculation would have been well worthwhile.
OK English people, sit down and remain calm.

At 1030am today the rate in Albufeira for cash was 1.077

At 4pm today in the same place it was 1.06

The good news is that more than one bars is reducing prices so as to be able to get any business at all.

Have a nice holiday.
I'm not so sure if it will be a case of costing people more but more a case of people spending less euros when they get to Portugal.
I'm planning on a £100 per day for next Summer's 14 day holiday in Portugal. If that gets me 1500 euros next summer, then that is what I will spend in Portugal. If sterling bounces back to say 1.30 euros then I will have 1950 euros to spend. If it gets any lower, then I shall be packing a few pot noodles into my suitcase.
Bertie I think you are being rather optimistic with 1.30, but you never know, as they say "Things can only get better". We have concluded that we carnt do a thing about it, and just enjoy it anyway, thats life unfortunately, & after all you cant take it with you when you go to that place upstairs, so we are just carrying on regardless & spending the kids inheritance :D
You're right, but was only using 1.30 as an example. It still seems hard to believe that I was getting around 1.4 in Lagos just 18 months ago.
We will be visiting Albufeira in a few weeks time.

Can anyone help. Wondering what rate is being offered in Albufeira at the moment? Dithering about whether I should get euros here or wait until we arrive in Algarve. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Today's rates for cash in town:

£ 1.07
US Dollar 0.745
CAN dollar 0.590

You are usually slightly better off getting money changed in the UK but that must be weighed against possible problems of loss or theft of your hard-earned holiday cash.

My idea always is to change a small amount, say £200 worth, and use cash machines as and when necessary but not for small amounts if your bank charges a hefty fee!
Oh dear! Not so good. Thanks anyway for your reply and advice Cubsur. Most appreciated.

We are staying in Paraiso Albufeira. Not sure if the safe will be in our room or in reception area.
Ive given up hope of coming back. Just glad i managed a fortnight in 2007 (think it was about 1.40 then) before it went belly-up. Its just impossible now :cry a family of 4 including two teens who eat as adults.

I suppose AI or HB might be the answer but there is no way we could afford to eat out for breakfast and dinner on 24 ocassions times 4 people. :(
If you are coming from UK get a Nationwide Flexaccount. It has NO loading. It charges NO commision and it gives the full middle rate. It is difficult to beat it.
Brodev the visa exchange rate today for nationwide flexi account (No withdrawal charges)was showing 1.12 maybe better still tomorrow. I check it daily watching the rates.
Doe I must say while we were over last week, we watched where we ate and drank to try and get a drinks and meals at a decent price with the pound going belly up. Not many folks in the resort of Albufeira, but bar owners & restaurants didnt seem to be dropping their prices slightly to get customers in. (In fact some were dearer than when last down in November)I think many of them will suffer badly this summer & I see a lot of them closing down, unless we get some miracle with the Pound/Euro. Lots of bar owners/restaurants we spoke to in Oct/Nov said they had had a bad season, so god help them with this forthcoming one.
Hi jayjan

Thats the trouble with recessions in relatively affluent Countrys like the UK, Germany, Scandinavia etc that have cold climates and folk that wish to holiday in hotter climes, there is a knock on recession to countrys like Portugal (well the Algarve really) etc that have large tourist industrys that they have become somewhat dependant on.

I dont like to see Countrys that have other industrys let these go to the wall and put everything into tourism, seems shortsighted to me, although I guess I can see why it is attractive to the governments of the country's concerned.

lt all seems very fragile sometimes. :(

Doe

Brian, I have realised I am well off topic, please move this to Portugal chat if you feel it's more appropriate.
doe
there is a thread for general chat Portugal related [to try and keep the main threads cleaner].. provided our usual standards are adhered to no problem i wont move this to there at the moment unless it escalates

wiz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.