Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
The new version of the VISA exchange rate currency converter now includes the Lev in its currency drop-down box (rather than just the Euro and a few other major currencies, as offered in the previous version).

It also allows you to look up the applicable rate on specific (past) dates.

Baldur
Hi everyone!!
I am going to Sunny Beach on the 30th May 2010.....my second visit......after a 5 year absence. Really looking forward to it, but I am a bit confused about the money side of things and wondered if any of you guys could clarify a few things. I have just trawled through all of the pages on this topic and my head hurts!!

Firstly, on my previous visit, I left everything to my last girlfriend....but we took english money....and changed it only at the 'Crown' exchange booths as we were heavily warned against any other means. Again, I intend to take some cash...the rest...I'll get to that in a minute. So Q1 - Should I just use 'Crown' or are the 'String' exchange booths just as good....and if so, are they clearly marked? Or, use one of the banks?

Secondly, thanks to your advices, I have opened a Nationwide Flex Account....which I will use for some of my holiday money and as an additional back up for emergencies. My confusion continues!! Are there lots of ATM points and are they all 'safe' to use?? ie/ are there preferable ATM points at certain locations at respectable banks or anything? An earlier comment about 'cloning cards' has worried me. Also, does the exchange rate come from Nationwide irrespective of point of withdrawal?

Thirdly, someone mentioned changing money in Nessebar rather than in Sunny Beach.....would this be true. It wouldn't bother me as I hardly need an excuse to visit Nessebar....I love it!!!

On another point....which I may not suppose to be mentioning on here....although it is kinda relevant to finances....or rather...the loss of financial assets through criminal activity - has Bulgaria gone downhill in the last 5 years?? Every website I look at seems to be highlighting excessive thefts or muggings, con artists and prostitution etc....they make it sound terrible. I'm sure its there as always.....but is it getting worse??

If anyone could help me on these points, I would be very grateful

Matthew
Hi Matthew25

If you remember what sunny beach was like 5 years ago then you should have no problem apart from the changes you will see in answer to your questions regarding changing money we have found over the last 6/7 years that string exchange is one of the best a couple of years ago there was talk of only using crown exchange but some people said no. As to changing in Nessebar it does not make a great deal of difference but if changing there I personally only change at the BioChim bank opposite Poncko pizzeria on the main st (Messambria) as to theft or muggins it does happen but not if you are sensible and dont get into any situations you would'nt at home hope this helps.

Robbie :tup :sun2
Can anyone advise us about the rate of exchange currently in Bulgaria. My boys fly out next week but we have conflicting stories from people. Somenoe told us the rate of exchange was better over there and to just change a small amount to start you off, someone else said change your money here cause it's extortionate over there!! Can anyone help?
Hi mozart1866,
mozart1866 wrote:
Can anyone advise us about the rate of exchange currently in Bulgaria. My boys fly out next week but we have conflicting stories from people. Somenoe told us the rate of exchange was better over there and to just change a small amount to start you off, someone else said change your money here cause it's extortionate over there!!

The first person was correct, remember that the rate changes daily, in line with international money market rates - also read through this thread for tips & warnings about where and where not to change money.

Today's rates at some Bulgarian high street banks:

United Bulgarian Bank - £1=2.29060 Leva
Raiffeisen - £1=2.276 Leva
Unicredit Bulbank - £1=2.265 Leva

The best rate that I can see offered in the UK today, from a quick look, is £1=2.210 Leva, with the lowest rate on offer being £1=2.074 Leva.

Hope this helps,

Baldur
No worries over there mate .If you want to guarantee seeing muggings and all kids of trouble just walk down any high street in any uk city at any time of day and you will see some kind of trouble .Also you can get a very good rate from other booths that give a much better rate than crown .Just dont do any street changing .
bluejock45 wrote:
Also you can get a very good rate from other booths that give a much better rate than crown

Having personally seen incidents where visitors have been 'conned' by resort (and city) exchange booths as well as from posts to a similar effect on this and other websites over the years, exchange booths (other than those recommended by regular visitors, such as Crown Exchange or String) are best avoided.

A common ploy is to show a very high rate but when the exchange is made you will find that you have received less than you should have - the rate that you have received is the Sell Rate (Продава), rather than the Buy Rate (Купува). Any argument about being short-changed is likely to attract unwelcome attention from armed guards of the relevant booth and you will achieve nothing by complaining.

If you don't want to spoil your visit, do not use untrusted exchange booths, use the high street banks.

Baldur
To confirm Baldurs statement

I have seen many instances of people being c-o-n-n-e-d and as a result had a ruined holiday.

Don't risk it.

Patka
Hey everyone

going over to BG tomorrow :wave:

I normally take sterling with me and change them in Raff bank to levs

I have alot of euros left over from Spain and was thinking of takin them over this year to BG

Any experiences? I have never spent euros in BG do they like them, do you get better deals with euro?
Is it better to change euro into lev or sterling into lev?

Your thoughts please :wave:
The exchange rate for Euro & Sterling in Bulgarian high street banks today:

UBB - €1 = 1.95050 Лв./£1 = 2.29010 Лв.
Raiffeisen - €1 = 1.950 Лв./£1 = 2.275 Лв.
Bulbank - €1 = 1.947 Лв./£1 = 2.261 Лв.
First Investment Bank - €1 = 1.9460 Лв./£1 = 2.24040 Лв.

You generally can't spend Euro in Bulgaria, except for large purchases, like property.

As posted many times in this thread, the best way of obtaining Leva is by cash withdrawals from Bulgarian ATMs, using Nationwide's VISA Debit Card, which would give a rate today of £1 = 2.30266 Лв.
  • Edited by Baldur 2010-05-27 07:46:06
:tup
Once again Baldur, your first to reply with spot on info

out of interest whats the rate in the raff for euro to sterling?

Are you over in BG now in the uk?
bubble160207 wrote:
....out of interest whats the rate in the raff for euro to sterling?

Are you over in BG now in the uk?

I don't go to Bulgaria until the end of next month.

By 'raff', do you mean Raiffeisen Bank? You really don't want to exchange from one foreign currency to another in Bulgaria (or anywhere else, for that matter), it would mean two lots of charges - one for Euro to Leva, then another from Leva to Sterling.

So such a change at Raiffeisen would mean, for example, that €100 would give you 195 Лв., the 195 Лв. would then only buy you £83.55 (at the 'sell' rate of £1=2.334 Лв.).

Far better to simply change your Euro to Leva and spend them.
hi

Yes i mean the Raiffeisen bank, I normally spell it wrong that why I call it the Raf ;)

I just thought I would escape charges there as I have a BG account with them in SB

I just wondered if I would be best changing euro to leva in the bank or sterling to leva in the bank when I get to SB really
Banks are banks, wherever they are located in the world - I have accounts with Raiffeisen and several other Bulgarian banks and all of them charge for whatever they can charge....

You'd actually be better off using UBB, as their exchange rates are slightly better for both Euro & Sterling than Raiffeisen's.
No idea, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to go to Sunny Beach.

<Edit> From the UBB website, it's at Hotel Koral:

Slanchev Bryag
8000 Slunchev bryag, hotel Koral
Tel.: 0554/ 21962; 0554/ 21963
Fax: 0554/ 23033
Office hours 8:30 - 16:30, mon-fri
  • Edited by Baldur 2010-05-27 09:24:25
The Hotel Koral in Sunny Beach was demolished about 3/4years ago and is now a rather deserted 'Shopping Centre', however there is a bank on the premises, sorry not sure which one.
Last Monday, 31st May, the exchange rates in Sunny Beach were 2.28leva in String, 2.29leva in Crown...and just checked my bank statement was a disappointing 2.296leva using my Nationwide Flex at ATM on the same day.
Hi

Can someone tell me what the currency is in Bulgaria. Are they in the euro currency now?

Many thanks

Nia
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.