Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
This article in today's Novinite demonstrates one of the many reasons why those of us who are regular visitors to Bulgaria advise against using non-trusted bureaux de change in the country.
is it truethat the Nationwide Flexi card is being withdrawn in september
Suemackey wrote:
is it truethat the Nationwide Flexi card is being withdrawn in september

Don't know where you heard that - you are possibly confusing the changes to the Cash Card account, which are due to be completed by October, with the Flex Account VISA Debit Card.

Given the amount of notice that Nationwide have given for the change to the Cash Card+, which will not permit overseas withdrawals, they would almost certainly have given Flex a/c Debit Card holders at least as much notice, especially if withdrawal of the card was being proposed.
thanks baldur, it was just a rumour but i think the flexi debt cards are safe
I'm going to Sunny Beach next week. Can anyone reccomend where to exchange money there? I'm takin Euros with me as I heard that it's not worth to exchange money in Poland as the rates are not good.
Hi madzikk,

See the long 'sticky' post HERE.

Typically, high street banks will offer the best rates of exchange (and safest means of obtaining Leva), e.g.

UBB - €1 = 1.95050 Leva
Raiffeisen €1 = 1.950 Leva
Alpha Bank €1 = 1.950 Leva
Bulbank € = 1.94 Leva
Thanks Baldur. Post merged.

luci :wave
Hi, sorry if I have misse it somewhere, but is it better to get my money changed out there (what is the rate at the moment)? or should I get it changed here where I will possibly get 2.25 to the pound??
Poolielad, Most definately better rate in Bulgaria, has touched 2.40 today, but is now averaging 2.38, these are the big banks, hotels, I would like to think at about 2.30. Just get enough for the first night, depends where you are going and when, but some hotels have 24 hour exchange desks, also ATM's are now plentiful. Cheers. Tonyt
Was in SB and St Vlas last week. Around 2.33 to the £ was normal in SB, and in St Vlas we got 2.36. Just done the sums on my Nationwide account and their rate work out at 2.36 one day, and 2.37 a few days later.
Hi guys,
Can someone tell me if these banks have offices in Sunny Beach or does have to take a bus to Bourgas to visit them and get the money changed?

UBB
Raiffeisen
Alpha Bank
Bulbank

Also, is it worth going to these banks if the Crown Exchange offers a good rate?

Thank You!

TC,

K
Hi all, just read an article in the paper re nationwide debit cards,nationwide haveslapped a stealth charge on all customers who use their flex account debit cards on holiday whist abroad.just thought you all might be interested.Happy holidays everyone. muriel.
i have read that also the nationwide flexi debit card will have a charge on it from November
Just to let you know that I have just returned fronm Sunny Beach and the exchange rate I got using my Flex Account at ATM's ranged from 2.36 to 2.39.

Weather has been fantastic. Unlike today when we landed in pouring rain!!

Dee
thats for the info will come in handy when i go tomorrow
There's a clear statement about Nationwide's foreign transaction fees, which will be applicable from 1st November, on their website - under the "Using your card abroad" link.
I have booked up to go to sunny beach next summer, i have a Caxton card a prepaid card which you load up with euros, will this work in an atm in bulgaria and will it convert to levs or will it pay out euros.
caslau wrote:
I have booked up to go to sunny beach next summer, i have a Caxton card a prepaid card which you load up with euros, will this work in an atm in bulgaria and will it convert to levs or will it pay out euros.

Your questions are probably best directed to CaxtonFX - see their e-mail address on the linked page.

Their Global Card appears to be designed for use in countries outside the Euro/Dollar zones but the 2.5% fee against the interbank rate would probably mean that you'd get a better deal taking Sterling in cash & exchanging it in a Bulgarian high street bank.

As far as I'm aware, Bulgarian ATMs only issue Leva, as the Euro is not the national currency and is unlikely to be adopted for at least a couple of years.
Hi Caslau,
As said by Baldur, your best bet to recieve the best rate for your money is to take sterling with you and change it either in the hotel (if you are staying in one ) or better use the banks. This year my hotel was giving 2.20lev to the £, but in the banks it was 2.36lev to the £. The ATM`S will only issue the lev. Another point to take in consideration is that you ensure that the sterling or euro notes are clean with no writing on them or creased as the banks and shop owners will not accept them.

Roger.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.