Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
See the post, which I try to update daily, to which I linked above. ;)

Baldur
Hi,

Going to Laguna Beach Hotel in Sunny Beach 25 July this year with the in-laws and kids. is this hotel OK? Please say yes!

Read some posts about Nationwide flex debit card being good. Are there any others you would recommend across there as flex seems to be linked to a current a/c and don't know if I can be bothered changing banks.

Will be taking some cash also, am I better taking Levs with me or Sterling i.e. will I get a better rate over there? Have heard they don't accept Scottish notes is this correct? Are credit cards widely accepted over there and are travellers cheques a good idea if so, what currency? Sterling or something else?

Thanks.

:cheers
Hi kerjak
only card commission and charge free is Nationwide Flex account, with which you get the highest exchange rate. I understand they will not accept Scottish notes and to be on the safe side take unmarked clean sterling notes. You will get a higher rate in BG than in the UK.Always hire a safe. You will get a less for travellers cheques because you will be charged commission and will need to carry your passport. Change money as and when you need it and only use CROWN exchange bxs, banks or hotels. Never use small booths advertising what appears to be a good rate...they usually say SELL not buy or you will be ripped off. Never deal with anyone stopping you in the street offering to change.

Hope you have a good holiday.
Hi Kerjak,

Read some posts about Nationwide flex debit card being good. Are there any others you would recommend across there as flex seems to be linked to a current a/c and don't know if I can be bothered changing banks.

There is no need to change banks - many of us have Flex accounts in addition to our 'normal' ones & merely use them for holidays - just loading them with holiday money as required. I've had mine for >3years & wouldn't be without it, for the holiday money convenience alone - I've used it not just for Bulgaria but Europe & Dubai and have always received the best rate possible.

I think that, currently, the only requirement when opening is a £100 initial deposit - the Debit Card is issued within 2 weeks normally.

I tend to load up my linked Nationwide e-savings account (which pays 5.05% interest) prior to a trip abroad, then transfer enough cash to cover my needs into my Flex a/c, via internet banking, just before I need to draw it from an ATM - this has the added benefit of minimum available cash in the account at any point in time, in case of 'card cloning', etc.

You will find the daily rates for cash in 3 Bulgarian high street banks HERE (at least until the end of June, when I go myself) - compare them with the rates available in the UK. The Visa interbank rate, which applies to Flex Debit Card withdrawals, is normally a couple of points higher than the Bulgarian cash rates, so 2.44 for cash would be around 2.46/2.47 at the interbank rate.

Baldur
CASH FOR BULGARIA ADVICE PLEASE

Thought I was going to get some money if I gave you some advice :haha
Anway, we always use my partner's Flex account to get money out but also take a few other back up cards in case that card gets damaged, stolen or sucked into the machine or anything like that. We also take a couple of hundred of pounds of Levs with us, although I tell my OH that we would get a better rate if we took less and went straight to the cash point, but I think he just wants to get straight to the bar and not be disturbed for a few days :cheers
I'm getting mine from M&S 2.3 lev to the pound is a very good deal! :tongue
I'm getting mine from M&S 2.3 lev to the pound is a very good deal!

Marginally better than the Post Office's rate today of 2.2782, I suppose - pretty poor compared to Raiffeisen's rate today of 2.452.

Baldur
Thanks for replies everyone. Looks like I'm applying for flex account, taking a back up credit card, some levs and some sterling.

I take it there are enough ATM's by the sound of things? If I was changing sterling in a bank would i get the same rate using flex/credit card at ATM?

Thanks again, very helpful forum. :tup
Hi kerjak,

If I was changing sterling in a bank would i get the same rate using flex/credit card at ATM?

I answered that question above "The Visa interbank rate, which applies to Flex Debit Card withdrawals, is normally a couple of points higher than the Bulgarian cash rates, so 2.44 for cash would be around 2.46/2.47 at the interbank rate."

taking a back up credit card

Credit cards aren't widely accepted for payments in Bulgaria and drawing cash with them can be expensive - see this article.

Baldur
Try Asda supermarket there online travel section is currently 2.349 to the Uk pound slightly better than M&S

Only three weeks to go....... :cheers :tongue :sun2
Baldur,

Thanks for responding twice to same question. Didn't pick it up the first time.

Cheers
I am off to Sunny Beach on Sunday and would like to know what exchange rate I can expect on a Nationwide debitr card?

Regards
Anna
Just check the exchange rate on the boards outside the main banks in the main area across from the Kuban Hotel and that is the rate you will get as you do not pay any commision or charges with the nationwide card. :D
Hi Anna,

I am off to Sunny Beach on Sunday and would like to know what exchange rate I can expect on a Nationwide debitr card?

See my post in this thread, dated Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:40 am for current cash exchange rates & Nationwide info - it's usually higher than the banks' advertised cash rates.

Baldur
There are another couple of banks on the corner at the back of the Admiral where the little noddy trains stop.

:sun2 Toonman
Sorry if this has been covered before, but can anyone tell me for certain if the older style english notes will be accepted this year in Bulgaria or will it have to be the new ones? I know they must be in good condition etc. but we still have quite a bit of the older ones and i'd hate them to be useless.
Thanks in advance,
John S.
Hi John S,

I don't know for certain, as I tend only to use my Flex Debit Card these days, but knowing how finicky the Bulgarian banks can be with foreign banknotes, I think that I would try to change them for the newer type just to be sure.

Baldur
Good Morning, They were changing both types of £20 notes in the exchage desk in the Hotel Dobruja, Albena, my friends from Manchester had no problems. Tonyt
Just to let every one know ive jus got Back from Bulgaria and checked my online statement and used the cash machines in Sunny beach and got an exchange rate of 2.46 BLV to 1GBP using my nationwide cash card on 10/06/08, only use the cash machines imo, the ones on the side of the streets which are everywhere rip you off big time as sum friends found out
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.