Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
hi
Definitely over there.

We took £100 sterling of Egyptian pounds and got 7.11

In our bank at the Sonesta beach it was better 8.56, that was from the 24th November.

Dont take $ or euros.
This was one of my queries aswell but no-one replied to my post (sob, sob)

Derwentrocker - did you just take English pounds with you and exchange them in the bank at the hotel or did you use your cashline card over there?

Thanks,
Charlene x
Hi Charlene
I changed in the UK £100 sterling into Egyptian, then took English currency over to the bank in resort.
If i ran out, i would use my nationwide card as it doenst charge at all for currency conversion.

Michelle x
We have ordered £50 of LE to be picked up tomorrow (we fly out on Thursday). I think we'll take English notes with us to change over there, sounds like a good idea.

We were there in the summer and tipped with £1 coins but I'm not sure what would be best now with the value of the pound being so low?!
Your wasting your time tipping in £1 coins, they hate as as they cannot change the money in their banks.

When we left sharm the guy asked us to change £20 worth of English for a £20 note. They can change notes but not coins.
Thats strange, before we went in the summer, the general advice from this website was to tip the staff with £1 coins lol, so that's what we done. In saying that, they did ask us if we had £10 notes as we were leaving the hotel for the airport.

Do you happen to know if there is a bank in or near the coral sea resort?
Hi there are lots of banks around CoralSea. HSBC is quite near. You will get a better exchange rate out there. Have a great time. We fly out to Nabq on Tuesday.
Hi Charlie, if you give them a quid it used to be 10LE, now its around 8LE. Banks in Egypt will not recognise UK coins, that is why whenever you see guys holding out the coins, its because they are desperate to change them, not as some people think, a ploy to get you in the shops ;) Seven times i have been to Sharm, and every year i end up with a load of change, the poor mites.
Shop around at the banks when your over there as the exchange rate does fluctuate between them. BNP bank seemed to give the best rate when I went earlier this year :)
hi
when you withdrew at atm how did rate work
did you get same value as you would with just exchanging notes thanks
:think
thats it decided, we are taking english notes to exchange at a bank over there near the hotel. i will be tipping in LE only :)
cajd - be warned when you withdraw money from the atm over there, i thoguht i'd get a higher rate when doing so but when i've come back and checked bank statements, i only got whatever the Lloyds TSB exchange rate was - plus I was charged £1.50 per transaction.
Its the best way to take sterling over there.
If you have a Nationwide Card - You will not be charged for the transaction.
If you have a post office account, you wont be charged per transaction either.

If you tip, you can use UK sterling but do not give them coins, they canot change coins in banks, and have to wait for a kind English person to change them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.