Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I have a question:

I have already changed £100 into Lira for use on the first day or 2 and planning to change the rest in Icmeler (better rate). My question is how much can you change at the supermarkets / shops in one go? For example would you change all your money (in my case over £1,000) in one hit or do you do it in say, £200 lots.

It's just that I can't see a small shop or supermarket having over 3,000 Lira to change?

What do you do?
hey justin - guess who lol!!

me personally, i change about £200 a time - but if you wanted to changed the full whack then if you asked the shop first they could arrange to make sure they have all the money there for you x

tracey
x
alizda wrote:
hey justin - guess who lol!!

me personally, i change about £200 a time - but if you wanted to changed the full whack then if you asked the shop first they could arrange to make sure they have all the money there for you x

tracey
x

Bizimtepe Tracey?
Jewellers do money exchange and would have enough to facilitate you, it is best to change it as and when you need it. £200 = 560tl at a rate of 2.80. The rate is around 2.82 to-day.

Les
Cheers Les & Tracey,

That sounds like a good idea, the £200 as and when - I suppose if the worst comes to the worst we could always pay with English money until we get to change it but shouldn't be a problem :)
Justin
Hi all,

I leave for Turkey on Friday, & just got quoted 2.57 in the post office for £50 worth. Can anyone else recommend somewhere that would give me a better rate than that? Im going to take most of my cash over to change when there, but just wanted some before i go.

Cheers all :)
2.57 :yikes thats shocking!!!!

M&S are offering 2.7140 today - thats an extra 7 lira which is an extra 2 Efes!!! :cheers

Tracey
x
I thought it was shocking too!! Natwest have offered me a better rate but only do a minimum of £100. I'm staying AI & my transfer is already paid so i might just not bother getting any here & change it all when i get to the hotel. Do you think i'd be ok with that?

Cheers
yeah you should be fine - might be an idea to buy some water or drinks on the plane or airport here before you go for when you there - the airport prices are shocking too lol! ! and if you are going to marmaris the stop off points are extortionate as well!!
Cool, I'll do that then. I'm going to Icmeler. Are hotel rates competitive over there, as most of the other countries I've been to before the hotel offers a bad exchange rate.

Many thanks :)
i heard friday that people were getting around 2.8 in resort ;) x
SOLD!! lol! I wont be taking much as AI, but what i do take i'll draw out here & get it changed over there.

Thanks for all your help :)
bezzer11 wrote:
Are hotel rates competitive over there

You'll probably find hotel rates are slighly lower than within the resort so check before you change anything.

Darren
2.83 to-day so still consistently high for all you good people coming out in the near future.

Les
flying out to Olu Deniz on Monday :-D Any chance anyone tell me what the exchange rate is there at the mo??? Cheers!!
When we arrived in Icmeler on 25th July most places were giving 2.82 but by the end of the holiday (4th August) most were only giving 2.76 - we changed some towards the end in the hotel and got 2.7 but as we only changed £100 we weren't too bothered about the missing 6 Lira lol
Interesting news for folk heading out now.
High street rates in the UK seem to be about 2.63 so maybe worth waiting till one gets there.

Also it occurs to me – knowing the dreadful rates AND the commission associated with changing money at airports – this could be a useful service to be promoted by HT.
Travelex and the like, who believe they have a captive audience at airports and therefore can get away with whatever they want to do, actually could be beaten by folk at airports having easy access via their mobile phones to up to date information about the rates they could expect when they arrive at their destination.
Any interest from the site designers/mods as to providing a specific area where this info could be posted?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.