Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We took a mixture of £20 and €50 notes all in good condition no marks, writing or rips, if US$ are exchanged you will be charged a 10% surcharge, credit cards and travallers cheques that are linked to the US banks are not accepted
Sterling, Euros and Canadian Dollars in currency will all be exchanged in hotels or at the airport easily, travellers cheques will be exchanged at banks which are available in Santiago but don't know of one in Guardalavaca.

I would go back to Travel Agent who sold you AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! and question their sanity, you WILL NOT be able to use them in Cuba as the Americans have a trade embargo with Cuba.

Also if taking a credit card check with issuer before you leave as many UK cards are linked to US banks and cannot be used either.
Hi all,

Off to Playa Del Carmen soon- eight weeks to go - yipeeeeee!
I need some up- to -date advice though, the last two times I went to Mexico I took US Dollar Travellers Cheques and they were a bit of a pain to get exchanged. Would it be better to take Dollars and a small amount of Pesos for tipping? any advice would be great :ghug
We always find it easier and cheaper to use the local currency. We were in Mexico last September and used Peso's but we also took dollars. We used the Peso's first and then used the dollars once the Peso's had all gone.

We're going again next year and will probably on take Peso's.
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what currency is best to take to the dominican Republic ? Would the peso be better or the us dollar?

Thankyou.

Loulou
Dollars are king.

Everywhere will except dollars for trips etc. If you go local shopping at a market etc just change up what you need into pesos at the hotel.

I've been to the DR 6 times and have never even handled a peso - always just used dollars.
I am going to the Dom Rep later this month. Is it best to take US Dollar or Sterling travellers cheques?
Thanks for that cynical :wink:

Loulou
we are off to dom rep in a couple of weeks-its our first time what is the best way of taking money?sterling/dollers or travellers cheques
Hi all
will be visiting Mexico/Playa del Carmen staying AI at the Riu Yukatan, what currency would be best to take with regards to tipping, popping out for something to eat and buying items.

Joe :sun
Hi Joe,

I took dollars only with me for tipping, excurions etc - all are priced in dollars (even if you go to the eco park and pay to get in all admission prices are in dollars. For local shopping, markets etc you should have a few peso's. I just got £50 worth out of the cash point in peso's and that did me fine. Alternatively you could change us some dollars for pesos at the hotel or just order a few pesos before you go.

Tracy
I ordered my holiday money from my bank, us dollars for the Dominican republic, but they've given me 100 and 50 dollar notes.
The post office changed me a 100 dollar note into 20's but couldn't give me anything smaller.
Does anyone know where I can get them changed into smaller notes???

samx
possible try at the airport in the uK before you go - the other thing to remember is to put aside $20 per person for departure tax as they will only take cash.

Also you will need $10 per person for your tourist visa when you land unless you have purchased it in advance
Are there any cashpoints in the Dominican Republic? I'm going to the put puerto plata area. Also do they cash travellers cheques? Sorry this is my first time going and i don't want to be stuck with stuff i can't use.

Thanks
We didn't see any cash machines whilst we were in the DR, we actually took US dollars which they accept, but change is in Dominican peso's.

You can of course take travellers cheque which the hotels will change at a fee and once again the money will be in peso's and of course the reps will take travellers cheque or cash of any denomination for excursions.

I certainly hope you have a good hol.
I am going to Mexico next year but will be starting to exchange cash soon. Is it best to take dollars, peso's or keep sterling until I get there? I was shafted this year in the Dom Rep. Advised by FC to take dollars. Exchange rate was very good in the Uk so did so. Arrived in the Dom Rep and had to change to Peso's. No problem execpt the exchange rate from dollars was half that of sterling! Beware.
Can anyone help?
hey there everyone, just wanna ask if anyone knows anything about jamaican dollars? or what other currency is accepted? whats best go with for exchange rate? any info would be appreciated.
louise x
Hi,

I read some where (DK Eyewitness Guide) that debit cards do not work in Cuba and that if you wish to withdraw cash from an ATM you have to use a credit card? Is this true?

I have a Barclays Visa Debit and Smile Visa Debit - anyone else managed to use these or found problems with these in Cuba? Neither I believe should come under the US bank issue.

If debit cards are no good, what recommendations do people have for taking money with them? Is it literally travellers cheques only? If so any particularly good ones to use?

Sorry I know this is slightly off topic but as you'll see from previous postings i'll be staying at PDR and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations particularly useful for me staying there.

Thanks everyone for your replies up till now - its been really helpful and look forward to being able to help others upon my return.
Please can anyone give me some advice on travellers cheques?I am going to Barbados in February and not sure whether to take sterling traveller cheques or american dollar traveller cheques? is one better than the other??? If anyone has any other travel tips for barbados I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Karen.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.