Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Forgot to add that we ventured to the Mexican Ranch Bar, always packed, but what has happened to the Windmills? strangely quiet every night and no entertainment now, in fact all the usual Robbies, Kylies etc seemed to have vanished. We saw the exceptional Blues Brothers and Abba, oh my everything s Abba lol. The entertainment in the evening from the bars appears to be virtually non existent, not sure why unless the entertainment licence is expensive.
The reason Cyprus has become so dirty is that the Municipalities have run out of money,central government cannot give additional funding due to the terms of the bail out, have you not been keeping up with what's going on in the country?

Brian
Yes i have Brian, but there are still hundreds of holiday makers going and speaking to some of the proprietors they have been ok, where as i know especially in Nicosia that no one trusts the banks any more. Pernera and Protaras still have entertainment, we were told the licences are extreme, so they cannot afford them. The windmills has had a revamp, now having discos instead of entertainment. Its not all about entertainment, the money situation has had a knock on effect, it has bound too, but the streets are dirty in Protaras, where as i see in other areas the hose pipes out in the morning cleaning the paths. These are just observations i noticed , i just hope they can recover, will not stop me from going and other holiday makers, the people are lovely. I suppose in a way although its been on the news for a long time, its a shock when you go and see for yourself.
Glad you enjoyed the Villa DR. Shame about the dirty areas though :(
I've found this topic really interesting as we were in Paphos at around the same time - but we've never been before so had nothing to compare it to. We stayed on AI at the Louis King Jason (review to follow eventually) and did end up spending an awful lot of time just sat by the pool, but we did venture out on a few of the days. I don't remember thinking that the place looked dirty, but what really struck us was the number of boarded up shops, mainly in the roads behind the harbour. There always seemed to be a lot of people walking around the harbour and along the sea front, but the restaurants and bars themselves looked pretty empty most of the time. We took a walk down Bar Street one night and regretted it - everyone was trying to get us into their bars and the atmosphere was not very nice. Another thing that surprised me was all the signs in Cyrillic everywhere as I hadn't realised Cyprus was popular with Russians. I speak Russian myself so it was quite nice trying to tune in to what people were saying, but still surprising to see that we Brits were in the minority. We had a great holiday though - just need to find time to do my review now!
Glad to hear you enjoyed your holidays. :tup am impressed you speak Russian :tup
I did my degree in French & Russian so I used to be pretty fluent but that was well over a decade ago. I also speak Spanish - if I had the time I'd learn German too. I love languages!
Corinne76 wrote:
I did my degree in French & Russian so I used to be pretty fluent but that was well over a decade ago. I also speak Spanish - if I had the time I'd learn German too. I love languages!

That's excellent Corinne I'd love to be able to speak another language :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.