Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Totally agree with you baggie

we came to cyprus in may for the first time as friends of ours were getting married there.

We paid more for 10 days here than we normally do for 2 weeks in the canary islands.

We loved cyprus and its people and would love to come back - unfortunately though its going to be a case of which is the cheapest or more value for money destination and judging by the prices for next year its not going to be cyprus..... :cry:
you don't say if that's for a week or two weeks?

and to be fair there are plenty of deals around on the internet, for example in june I stayed at the Napa Plaza in Ayia Napa which would cost almost £600 a week normally and paid just £250.

I probably pay the same or less now to go to Cyprus than I did back in 1998
i must admit we pay no more to go to cyprus than we used to three years ago to go to greece. we always book with olympic or libra.
It's for 2 weeks. We've always booked through Travel Counsellors, who've been able to provide some good deals in the past, so its not like we've used different companies.

Always happy to know of alternatives, so any chance you could advise where on the net the bargains are to be had.

To be fair we found one on Olympic's website for £404 pp, but the same holiday was £220 pp in 2002, and still only around £270 in 2005.
I've booked next year's holiday to the Bellini Bungalows and that has only cost us £486 each for 2 weeks (£243 per week), which I thought was very cheap, compared to paying the high amoutns to go Half Board. As we're doing A.I. in Cancun this year, we opted for cheap and chearful next year. We actually spend less doing Self Catering as we just don't really bother eating during the day as if you haven't paid for something on ur holidays, then u don't eat it, but if you've paid for Half Board/AI you feel obliged to eat it. Self Catering is definitely cheaper.
You may find it cheaper to book your flights and accommodation separately, which is what we do now our younger daughter is too old for child discounts.
Our flights for this September were £530 for the 3 of us with BA (book early), and we have booked an apartment at the Macronissos Village for £450 for 2 weeks. That makes a total of £980 for 3 people self catering which I consider very reasonable. We did find cheaper accommodation, which would have made it even better value but decided on this one as we're going with our elder daughter, partner and 2 children as well.

Don't forget that with the terrible weather in the UK, there has been a rush of people booking holidays for this year, which inevitably will raise the prices.
The last few years i've stopped booking a package as it's always been cheaper to just book it a month or 2 months before I go, but if there's a certain place you really want to stay then I can understand booking in advance.

I used XL.com for the flights and travelrepublic.co.uk for the hotel, the flight was £115 and the hotel £132, I've since looked on travelrepublic for next year and the price was the same

Last year was the first time for a long time that I booked a package but that was because my sister was getting married and everyone wanted to be on the same flight.
There are definitely bargains out there if you do look hard enough. At least there are still some cheap holidays to be found!
We are going back to the same villa in Protaras as we did last year, but 2 weeks later as we could not book it for the same time. This time we go on the 29th of August where last year we went on the 16th, and it is £300(sterling) cheaper than it was last year. I was pleasently surprised when I totalled everything up this year, because I honestly thought it would have been more expensive.
If you book say 12 months in advace you tend to pay more as the good deals come nearer to time as they panic and want to make sure they fill the bookings...

Another thing to mention is, we've been to loads of places where we booked fairly late and we paid a lot less than those who booked the year before. Once in Menorca we paid about £400 a head and got talking to a couple who said we keep it quiet as we've only paid £600 each !! So how much had the rest paid ????????????

The third thing that popped into my head was... Would I like to go 2-3 Star, maybe only a pool and bar in the hotel in Cyprus, or go 3-4 star with Gyms, Saunas, shops and other rubbish in another country?... .. I know what I'd go for at the moment... Cyprus .. at the moment I'd probably pick Cyprus in a tent with a leaky roof over going elsewhere... .

Steve
I have just bagged what I think is an unbelievable bargain.
29th August 1 week half board akti village paphos day flights from gatwick including inflight meals and transfers £259 each.

Travelzoo advertised olympic doing this deal for this date and various dates in september. It said to ring Olympic and quote ref ZO. It is for gatwick or manchester and there was no add ons like I expected. It has to be booked by 3rd august.
Was absolutely gutted last night - but not giving up yet. We usually leave it till about 4 weeks away before booking anyway, so as we've still got 8 weeks left I've decided to look again around the end of August and see how the prices are going.

There's a big article in the Cyprus Mail today about the huge airport charges at Pafos and Larnaca and I think this has had a big impact.

Fingers and everything else crossed.

Richie
Hi Richie,

I read a letter in the Cyprus mail yesterday saying the same thing as you have said and quoting the same prices..

Was it you???

Viv
hi all

I must admit, over the years the cost of living in cyprus ,if you go SC, has steadily risen, in the resort areas especially. You can always find cheaper & quite often better standards of food & service out of the resort areas.
But as we've always booked well in advance mainly because we have a family & will only go in school hols , so we've paid (imho) well over the top prices, But i don't feel they've increased so much that the cost of the package would drive me away, IE:- £2700 for 2 weeks Sc 1 bed appt at the marlita last august. previous year was roughly the same. But thats the price i've had to pay just for being a parent.
It's now, that the kids are getting older, i'm hoping we can go either a lot earlier or later & not be stung just because we are not prepared to take our kids outta school for 2 weeks.

gazz
Hi Viv,

yes - probably was - haven't seen it in the internet version yet though.
Update - great news. We've managed to get a deal via Olympic that, while more expensive than ever, is within our price range. 7 weeks to go - hugely relieved.

Richie
Hi Richie,

What hotel/apt did you get through Olympic and how much, for how long? That's who we are booked with for Aug 2008 to the Bellini Bungalows.

Julie
Hi Julie

Ausonia in Pernera. About £370 each.

Richie
Hi Richie,

Ive head of the one you're going to but Im not sure where abouts in Pernera it is. I like Pernera, its got a lovely little beach (the one overlooked by the The Pernera Beach Hotel), and its clean.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.