Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dabolim airport
35 Posts
As it is the only airport in Goa equiped to handle civilian flights, and as the much talked about new airport is years away, if ever, I'd say there's no truth at all in this rumour
Alan
In Navhind Times today

http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=051511

and in The Herald today

http://oheraldo.in?pagedetails.asp?nid=4024&cid=26

I think the debate of Dabolim/Mopar has some way to run yet
I am confident thay will get the new airport started, jus as soon as they get the River Princess moved.
Two alert traffic policemen? Only time I remember seeing alert traffic police in Goa was when they were after a bribe!
Sandyboy your comment is class :tup when I read about the incident a similar thought passed through my mind along with its typical ''goan'' built.

Roll on March

Regards

Jules
Hi guys

Can you please tell me how you all pay for the taxi if you can't take rupees in? I seem to remember last time the exchange bureau at the airport had very steep rates. Is there an ATM in the airport?

Going to take a taxi this time instead of the coach transfer as it was unbearable!

Thanks
Whiskas
Just change a £20 note at the exchange in the airport, you are right the exchange rate is poor at the airport. :(

Enjoy your holiday jan x
There is an ATM at the airport. use your Nationwide card with no charges.
Turn right when you leave the airport building the ATM is only yards away in a glass security cubicle with a guard on the door
i got some rupees at lloyds tsb, that sorted us out till we got to the resort
J
This is probably a really stupid question but is this the only airport to get to Goa? I've just received my lonely planets book on Goa and can see there's a railway line passing all the way through. Is it easily accessible? Looks like the best way to travel around for hubby and I on our backpacking holiday.
There are hundreds of airports that 'get to Goa'. I assume you mean is Diabolim the only airport in Goa.....answer YES.
I suspect that the Lonely Planet book for Goa will be very dismissive of train travel in Goa. This is for the excellent reason that it wont work for you. General travel within Goa for people backpacking is best done on buses. More careful reading of the book will give you lots of info about how best to travel around Goa.
You can arrive in Goa by getting off a plane in Mumbai and then travelling down by budget airline, or by bus. It might be possible to get a train for this journey, but again, Lonely Planet will tell you.
Hope this helps.
Thanks lester. It'll be my bedtime reading for a while I think :)
Hi
it's about a 10 hour train journey from Mumbai to Thivim (nearest station to Calangute/Baga/Candolim I believe), it then goes on to Margao but I'm not exactly sure where else it stops.

We caught the overnight sleeper train to Mumbai and then came back on the 06:55 train.
I quite enjoy travelling on Indian trains.
we will be traveling quite a lot on our next trip.flying to delhi.train to jodpur,jaipur.agra.varanassi.fly onto mumbai,train to palolem then upto calangute,,we found the cleartrip site exellent,gives train times.prices etc and journey times. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.