Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
For those interested (it's not compulsory), a film taken today, with thanks to Joegoauk.

Despite being inaugurated for a second time, the new terminal stands empty and unused, because................ it is nowhere near finished, and no work is going on either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nIYb4P9gag&feature=youtu.be
In responce to this previous post.
Is it really that important it will be open when its open who cares !

YES it is important and people do care or they wouldn't be asking!, people like to know various aspects of their holiday, what the hotel will be like, what the beaches are like etc etc and many people who have been to Dabolim would be looking forward to perhaps using the facilities at the new terminal.

Here on HT we pride ourselves on providing informative and very importantly FRIENDLY replies and advice on a huge variety of holiday and general travel topics and as per our T&C's we expect all posts to be respectful and courteous to other users.

Graham
HT Moderator
Was back there yesterday picking up some lost property I had left on the plane.

old terminal very quiet new one hive of activity taxis buses etc.

we flew into the old one but you never know may be going back through the new one.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/Shabby-and-unkempt-new-airport-terminal-resembles-railway-station/articleshow/32695595.cms

Times of India - personal inspection.

Dirty and shabby, more like an Indian railway station,

Domestic flights only (international didn't last long then!)
so that's what I've got to look forward to in 12 days time. I wonder what the Goan definition of stop gap is? :think 2 years? 5?
To be honest that article is spot on. Its a complete mess and should be a massive embarresment to all involved in its construction and opening.

The worst thing for me was the heat. The so called air conditioning is completely inadequate.

Not sure I was suprised though this is Goa.
Was ok arriving from Mumbai. Flooring already looked stained in places though. Wasn't brave enough to see what toilets were like. Going back to Mumbai on Friday so will see how things go
To be honest I can't see too much wrong with the domestic airport. The one annoying thing was lack of signage. Not sure about the mix of domestic and international passengers on the stairs either. They do seem to have taken some points on board as they obviously had people who were looking out for folks arriving to check in and immediately explaining about getting luggage screened first. We were through to the gates very quickly. Vast area now- loads of seats and several places to buy food or drink. Good air conditioning. Toilets were fine. Very clean. OH also reported toilets as you would expect in other airports.
I had heard of the dreaded ramps that you descend to get the plane but have no idea what the fuss is about. Gatwick and heathrow have these as well and I would think they are much better than escalators or stairs. They were at a gentle inclination.
I still have a few months until I get to experience the New airport for the first time, will try and update here when I do... I have seen a few pictures and it seems nice... I wonder if it leaks during the monsoon?
Apologise if this on HT already. But does anyone know about the proposed flight restrictions, due to resurfacing on runways, from Jan-March restricting flights to 8 hours during daytime. There is work being done from Oct? to Jan but I don't think it effects the flights quite as much :que
Yes we had a thread
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/not-good-news-here-t159949.html
It could be up to 50% less charters which would be a nightmare for the Goan economy.
From today's Navhind Times ( a Goan newspaper), an article written by a Goan,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.navhindtimes.in/?p=56803

For those of you who do not speak Hindi, "jugaar" sort of translates as a bodge, a heath-robinson fix, or the normal way in India of making anything work almost properly.
The navindtimes is if line at be moment. Can anyone just give me a quick breakdown of what it says thanks
:rofl can't help but laugh, although I suspect I will be stamping my tootsies when I arrive. Why I needed to look at the article I wondered if it contained any info. on the proposed resurfacing work being carried out dec- may (?)
I have to admit I didn't find Dabolim as bad as I had expected it would be, judging by what had been written. But then we arrived and left on domestic flights. I do agree that the luggage screening is in a ridiculous place. You are going back and forward. I also had to work out where to go next as it wasn't clear. But the departure area is very spacious, We had a couple of soft drinks and they were ok prices for an airport. Toilets were very clean. It was cool in the lounge area. I have no idea why there is such a carry on about the walk down from the gate. Its really a gentle slope so I can't see what is wrong with it. In my opinion I much prefer that to the escalators. But I did see water marks in the arrival area and it doesn't really bode well for how the airport is going to be maintained.
Fiona, all this "it's not so bad REALLY" has to be tempered by the fact it is brand new, opened intermittently and very very late............and cost an absolute fortune. It also has to be viewed in comparison to Bombay and Bangalore, both of which are only a few hundred miles away and managed to get it all very right!

But they don't have quite the reputation for lethargy, inefficiency and corruption that Goa has, even with the new government.

Carol. all that stuff about runway closures smacked of hype and dis-information. Nothing more has been said, so probably not a cause for concern. (substantial research before answering)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.