Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I agree about Mumbai and Bangalore airports they are great. I gave gone through Dabolim on internal flights found it ok except nearly missed flight to Goa as it was showing a different gate to what it actually was boardeded from It was only me mithering that hubby asked and they said system hadn't got it right (?)
I will be going through the airport shortly.... Will try and update my experience when I do, it will be my first time... Friends went through a month or two back and they said it was awful....(dirty)
There's one thing for sure its a lot better than the old one
dannypipeman wrote:
There's one thing for sure its a lot better than the old one

Are you sure?

Will be interesting to hear Rob's opinion...................
I am sort of excited to see the new extension, my friends said it was much dirtier than the old one.

The old one was clean and nice, although it was never really busy when I went through (coming from Mumbai generally) so didn't see it in the madness of season time arrivals. Will have to wait and see.... :)
http://www.heraldgoa.in/Goa/Monsoon-Session/Rane-openly-bats-for-Mopa/16448.html#.U9dkPEDLKGI

Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar assured that government, in consultation with the Centre, would work out mechanism to improve the condition of the new integrated terminal. Admitting that the condition of the terminal is bad, he said there is scope of improvement and the same would be looked into.
The Opposition benches had Monday afternoon grilled the government over the bad condition of new terminal, wherein Rane had said that this is the worst airport terminal he has come across.

(for those who don't know, "Rane" was a prominent member of the Congress ex-government that awarded the contracts for building this new terminal.............. badly!
It Has to be said that the new terminal is yet another massive Goan B**** up.

Too much bribe money to do the job properly.
Any updates on the proposed runway closures during he upcoming tourist season? I expect they will just spring the details on us when they actually start. A few seasons ago they were doing runway repairs at Mumbai on a Tuesday. Our first hearing of this was when we tried to check in early for our afternoon Jet flight to Goa. We were told it was cancelled but if we could run they would put us on a Bangalore flight that was boarding and then on to a flight from there to Goa. We also had to spend ages at the Jet office in Panjim to bring forward our return flight on our way home to catch our flight to the UK. Hence my suspicion they will not be too forthcoming with their plans.
Our flights from Manchester with Qatar Jan/Mar have all been changed, going and returning earlier, not much of a difference but flight from Doha to Manchester departs at the same time as the flight from Goa arrives which will be interesting

Other forums are reporting same thing with some having major problems

Looks like work on runway is going ahead
Well flying with Qatar from Edinburgh to Doha in January, overnighting in Doha and on to the Goa flight the next day. Our return three weeks later we have a short transit in Doha on to the Edinburgh flight. We booked direct with Qatar in March and certainly had no word from them regarding any flight time changes.
Alan
Alan

Look in" Manage Booking" on Qatar home screen and check for any update, we have not been notified just checked having heard about other people being aware of situation. I am being asked to accept the changes but am waiting for a while to see what happens as think I may have grounds to cancel with full refund.
Thanks for that silentman, most airlines I use email you of any changes, Qatar seems to be the exception to this. On checking I found that there had indeed been a change to the Doha-Goa flight now leaves at 20.15 arriving at 02.20 and the return flight now departs at 03.50 and arrives at 05.25. Interestingly when I was checking my itinery on Qatars frequent fliers page it would appear that the first chage was to a return flight time from Goa at 6.00 am but that flight was then marked as not operating and the present flight time substituted. The changes don't affect us but there's plenty time yet for things to change again.
Alan
I'm not sure many of us expected a shiny new, fully functioning new airport quite honestly.

I think we can even take a shambolic, messy airport, as it is what we are used to at Dabolim.

I think all we really want are shorter queues and more seats.
Glad I saw this thread as our flights have been changed too.
As it happens ours are a bit better, giving us 10 mins more for transit on return flight
The Airport : Well I had my first venture through the new airport a few days ago and it wasn't too bad. Ok there weren't many people there as it was gone midnight and I don't think there were any other flights departing/arriving but things went quite smoothly.

As I have a resident permit I went to the police station (as is usual) to 'sign out of the country' and they said there was no need anymore, but its always a worry and when I got to check in, the person there had to check with immigration before giving me my ticket, which as you can imagine (as my visa expired the next day and it was past midnight) it was a worrying 5 mins. But they let me through....

I flew with Qatar and there was a change to my flight times (in Doha) and I received several email reminders about it and they even called me up, which I thought was nice. it was only a change of an hour which made my stop over an hour shorter, which is always a good thing.

I 'tested' the toilets at the airport and they were relatively clean although most things were either broken or badly fitting. (not sure which). Anything that fitted into something else - didn't!! :) I also had to search for a stall with paper. So glad it wasn't a busy time of day.

I had a look at the 'map' of the airport, ok, I know I have just had an eye operation, but even when I sat on the floor 3 inches away from the map, it was still hard to read!

I don't know if its a new thing but they charge you to drop off now (unless you do it within 5 mins). Don't know about prices, perhaps I will see on my return.

I have to say it doesn't look like a new airport in the slightest, but it wasn't too bad.
"It wasn't too bad."
That kind of sums up my view. Will be interesting to see how next Easter compares with last Easter.
As for flight changes- I am wondering if there have been so many as airlines may have had to change their routes recently?
gramps wrote:
Any updates on the proposed runway closures during he upcoming tourist season? I expect they will just spring the details on us when they actually start. A few seasons ago they were doing runway repairs at Mumbai on a Tuesday. Our first hearing of this was when we tried to check in early for our afternoon Jet flight to Goa. We were told it was cancelled but if we could run they would put us on a Bangalore flight that was boarding and then on to a flight from there to Goa. We also had to spend ages at the Jet office in Panjim to bring forward our return flight on our way home to catch our flight to the UK. Hence my suspicion they will not be too forthcoming with their plans.

Another factor which could impact flight movements at Goa is proposed repairs to the airport runway. Originally the Indian Navy which controls the airport was to carry out the work from September but now the work is expected to start in January and would see portion of runway closed for recarpeting. This could impact movement of wide body planes such as Boeing 747-400s used by some charters.

from

http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/goa-expects-5-growth-in-charters-114082000751_1.html
Thomas Cook don't appear to have changed their Gatwick times as yet. Possibly due to the fact the are due in and out at midnight / one o'clockish.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.