Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
dabolim airport
79 Posts
Its the same airport but will have a new terminal
I was going to ask the same thing I thought it was to open in December ..
It had what in India they describe as a "soft opening" on December 3rd.

Not a term that has any meaning elsewhere in the world I guess, and in Goa it seems to mean turn the lights on in an unfinished facility, stop all work, and waste vast quantities of electricity for the next few months, pretentending it is open.

Official word at the time was that it would actually be in use around the end of January................ no chance!

Maybe next season?

Maybe.

Now seems Visa on Arrival in Goa has been dropped as well by Central Government, not that the British are likely to get it.

Next mess-up seems to be the Lusifonia Games.
It had what in India they describe as a "soft opening" on December 3rd.

Not a term that has any meaning elsewhere in the world I guess, and in Goa it seems to mean turn the lights on in an unfinished facility, stop all work, and waste vast quantities of electricity for the next few months, pretentending it is open.

:think This is actually a well used saying and process worldwide, it is a way of basically testing all the systems and practices and getting staffed trained and problems ironed out prior to the 'Official Big Grand Opening' so hopefully it will all run like clockwork when opened officially.

I remember getting caught up in a soft opening of the Jaws ride in Disney World Florida years ago, it wasn't officially opened however it had a 'Soft Opening' and was being tested prior to the official opening which is just as well as it didn't work and we were stuck on it :D

So hopefully all will work as it should at the New Airport Terminal however from what I read on here about India and Goa I very much doubt it :rofl
Soft openings. I remember being on the Eurostar London to Brussels services the week before it officially opened; all us railway employees had to spend a week going back and forth to make sure it was suitable for unleashing on the general and more importantly fare paying public, and reporting on any minor teething problems.
If my memory serves me correct Heathrow had a sort of soft opening with terminal 5, and it was absolute chaos. Quote from BBC news

"Cancelled flights, baggage delays and a temporary suspension in check-in have blighted the opening day of Heathrow's new £4.3bn Terminal 5."
I was hoping to see it while we are in Goa but by the looks of things I wont ..lol lol
Its the same airport but will have a new terminal

Still with motorbikes and cows on the main runway then....
:))
Still looked like a building site on 29th December, so, don't hold your breath.
Mobor One wrote:
Still looked like a building site on 29th December, so, don't hold your breath.

In spite of "soft opening" 4 weeks earlier? :rofl
I think the soft opening got delayed.
Mind you that sounds so soft it must have been more like a spongy opening :rofl
The new terminal at Dabolim airport in Goa has not yet opened officially.
http://oheraldo.in/News/Main%20Page%20News/Macau-team-first-to-land-in-new-terminus/84366.html

So, a month and a half after the "soft opening", the first and only plane inaugurates the new terminal on a "trial basis" although there is still much work to be done...........

As this was the delegation from Macau to the Lusfonia Games, where most stadia still have "much work to be done" including installation of toilets, perhaps this was to prepare them for the Games that start tomorrow?
'Soft Launch'!!! And its still not operational? Any idea when is it scheduled to open?
Is it really that important it will be open when its open who cares !
I imagine that when it does open, the main difference will be that we can queue in newer surroundings, I doubt that it will be any less frustrating.
The new integrated terminal at Dabolim airport is open as per media reports. Still it may take some time before handling traffic in full capacity.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.