Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
The cheapest option is to get a local SIM card when you arrive. There may be a store at the airport, and you may need to register to qualify for a local SIM, which could waste a bit of time. Your next best option is to buy a roaming SIM card from a provider of international SIMs, such as go-sim.com (though there are plenty of others out there, just do a bit of online research). They have a data-specific Pay As You Go SIM which I found very useful on a trip around Europe earlier this year, and the data bundle deals offer a ton of free credit, depending on how much you're planning on using. I had this sent to me before I set off, which I found was the most convenient solution.
Thanks i think ive left it a bit late to buy before i go, may just pop into a shop in Tenerife and hopefully they will be able to help
Sorry to jump in on your post Bouganville but I have the same issue as you.

I have an unlocked phone so any sim will do and I'm looking for a sim to use to connect back to the uk for data and a few isolated calls. Normally when I go away I simply get a local sim for this and stick it in the phone. Now sometimes that can be a little problematic if not a resident but then I either find a friendly phone shop owner that'll lend me a sim or get a local (waiters are normally a good bet) to get one for me with me paying all the costs. I then leave them the sim when I leave so its a win win really.

Judging from what I've managed to find on the interweb I need to be a resident to get a local PYG so I think I'm into option 2 "chat up a local" but I'm now wondering exactly what my best bet is.

Are local PAYG sims expensive? An idea of costs for the card would be good because I'm thinking I might be better off just using my UK sim as I'm only there for 2 weeks.

fritz

P.S. I'm out on the 8th too - from Gatwick on a Thomas cook charter flight
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.