General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Welcome kendo11 ... you would need to check the terms and conditions of the company you booked with. Some may charge for debit and credit card use, others may just charge for credit card use. Some, such as Direct Holidays for example, occasionally get things wrong and mistakenly charge customers for using debit cards.

David :wave
checked t&c couldnt find anything so have since contacted the co who have said they do charge for debit card payments , i would have liked to have known beforehand though,you live and learn eh,thanx for your reply david :tup
Easyjet charge for debit and credit cards but they do make it clear before you submit your payment, exactly how much the charge is for the card you are using. For my booking they wanted £8 for a debit card payment and just over £30 for a cc payment. I thought it was a lot but went for the cc payment for more peace of mind.
Medhotels.com ?? If so, the Payments section of their booking conditions suggests that there are no charges for using debit cards:
http://www.medhotels.com/BookingConditions.aspx

Like Direct Holidays, Medhotels is part of the Thomas Cook group. And as I mentioned, we are aware of some Direct Holidays customers being mistakenly charged debit card fees at various times in 2010/2011 due to website glitches. These were refunded when the customers contacted them via online support. I wonder if Medhotels have a similar glitch, although you do say you have since been told that they do charge a debit card fee, which would appear to contradict their booking conditions. :hmmm
David :wave
Medhotels T&Cs say there is no charge for bookings made by debit cards like Visa Electron and since very few people still have Electron cards then expect to pay a fee for Visa & Mastercard debit cards.
I just booked a holiday today with direct holidays, paid by debit card and was promptly charged £5.95 for the privelage ( on direct holidays website, it clearly states no charge for payment made with debit card ) a phone call to customer services sorted it out quite quickly really and a new confirmation incoice was e-mailed to me straight away, job done !
On another note about debit cards before we went to Sharm in September i went into the local Thomas Cook shop(been using for years) for some traveller checks and they refused my Maestro Yorkshire Bank card saying they dont accept Maestro any more.I was told i could draw the money at the local bank and pay cash to which i refused,got sorted at the Thomson Travel Shop.
My recent holiday accommodation was with Med Hotels booked at Hays Travel and no charge was made for using my Debit card.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.