General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi sallybear, had mine changed too and I've used it with no problem. Took mine to Cyprus with me and everywhere took it. Paid many things with it and withdrew cash with it. Any machine that took your Solo should take your Electron. Hope this helps.

Helenxx
if you click on the link below it will take you to the Visa international search engine
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/eur/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

hope this helps

brian
Hi Sallybear we have visa electron and have used them on both Rhodes and Samos
thanks guys, reassured now
hi

i now use my nationwide flexaccount card whenever I go abroad to withdraw cash. They dont charge and you get a better exchange rate. On a two week holiday this can save you a lot of money.

Kerry
I have a Royal Bank of Scotland card and i was wondering if anyone knows what they charge for making withdrawals abroad??
I asked at the bank last week but they said they didn't have any of the information leaflets left!!Customer Service = Thing of the past.

Thanks for any help
Jimmy
Hi Jimmy. Why don't you just open a Nationwide flex account and use their cards instead. As flipper has already said, they don't charge anything at all for withdrawing cash. I've had mine for a few years now but my Dad has just opened an account and he got his card and PIN number through in just over a week. I just have to show him how to use a cash machine now before he gets to Turkey :roll: He'll probably not use it but it's handy incase of emergencies.
Why pay charges when you don't need to, and any extra you've saved can go towards a few extra beers when you're away :)
100% behind you Shaz :wink:

Nationwide card and Alliance and Leicester account (free annual worldwide insurance) are my 2 holiday MUSTS :D

Robby :wink:
Sally - make sure you've got some euros or traveller's cheques in hand, the Greek banks are on strike on 7 & 8 June and you might not be able to get taramasalata tokens out of the hole in the wall!

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100024_31/05/2005_56932
thanks for the info
We also take a Nationwide card with us when we go abroad. We got that tip form a programme on tv
I also read about there being NO charges in the Times this week-end which prompted me to pop into my ever friendly Bank of Scotland to see what they charge. They charge £1.50 per transaction and a 2.50% charge of the amount withdrawn. Good on the Nationwide!
They've no shame these banks. Hubby had a letter through from the TSB the other day notifying him of increased charges when using his card abroad. They'll not be getting a penny off us I'm afraid.
You'd think with all the publicity that the Nationwide has been getting, other banks would be looking at reducing their charges, not increasing them.
A great site about saving money when spending abroad - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com
It gives details of the nationwide flexaccount, pointing out that there are no charges as long as you are not overdrawn
I used my Egg savings account card in Marmaris this year. They didn't charge me for the withdrawals. It is only a cashpoint card so I don't know if this is the reason for no charges.

Flossy
hiya, just reading the stuff about visa electron abroad. i'm going to gran canaria on thursday and just wondered if i can use it there and does anyone else have an alliance and leicester card cos i have not used it abroad yet and don't know if i will get charged or even if i can use it!! would be big help tho cos i get paid on the friday so it will save me borrowing money from family!!!
Hi for Visa electron cash points use the same link i have posted above

brian
I've used my card in Greece, Italy, Chech Republic, Spain & America to withdraw local cash with any problems. Best thing ever invented!!
Hi Jimmy

I also have a Royal bank of Scotland card and ive used in in Greece, Hawaii and Spain no problems i would say though try to lift large amounts once or twice your whole holiday rather than little amounts often as i made this mistake in Greece and withdrew money everry second day resulting in a small charge each transaction so this year im going to Egypt and only going to withdraw a large amount hoping itll last the holiday if not onr other transaction.

Debs
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.