Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Direct Holidays
716 Posts
Having made some enquiries it looks like Direct have changed the 06.00 Glasgow to Alicante to the early evening flight right through the summer. If so this is a disgraceful marketing ploy used to get people to book good flight times and pay high flight supplements (£45 per person in our case). Has anyone else had this flight change, we were due to fly on 2nd September.
Have booked a holiday with Direct for Summer 2007 at the beginning of May this year and paid a low deposit. On the back of the confirmation it states that the remainder of the deposit would be payable eight weeks later and that a reminder would be sent. The eight weeks are now up and I haven't received a reminder. Does anyone know if Direct actually collect the remainder of the low deposit on web bookings?
We had booked online but still received a written reminder regarding the rest of the deposit ,maybe you should give them a ring, just for your own peace of mind.
Yes, I think I will ring them - if I can get through!!!
We are flying out with them on tuesday, our flight was ment to be at 8:30 at night but now its changed to 11:30 at night insted!
They sent a letter out to us yesterday giving now explanation or nothing just wondering if any one else is going out that day ? well night.
I actually got a letter the following day requesting payment of the remainder of the low deposit. It's paid now and I can look forward to my Summer 07 holiday!
I'm not flying that night but the same thing happened to me 2years ago with Direct Holidays, return flight was 11.00am but got moved to 2am the following day so we had to be out of our room at 12 and with 2 children it wasn't ideal but nobody from direct were bothered. Same thing happened to a friend of mine last year & this year, also had problems with overbooked hotel and reps not much use which is why since then I've been doing DIY holidays without a problem and can now have 3 hols a year.
I couldn't agree more. Direct Holidays are useless and a waste of money-DIY all the way from now on!!!
sorry been with direct holidays about 9times tenerife,spain,majorca, and this year menorca and have never had a probb flights,acom,anything all been spot on and will be going again next year

the fatboy
Natalie, i`m afraid you`ll get no joy. Our Direct flight has been moved from early morning to early evening , a change of 11hours 55 minutes which conveniently keeps them within the 12 hour flight change limit. You will be wasting your time with customer services as they will relate brochure conditions to you.
In reply to Fatboy, we also had used Direct for years with few problems, that is until now. Last year we had used another Mytravel company to go to Benidorm and it took longer to get from the airport to our hotel than our flight took. We had used Direct holidays from before they were taken over and I will state here that I will never use another Mytravel group company again , wait until you have a problem!
I've used Direct Holidays many times too and found them to be great. We went to Turkey, Tenerife, Salou 3 times, even Florida with them but after this year(holiday to Majorca)I will never EVER go with them again. They're just money grabbers and they don't give a damn about their customers as long as they get paid.
well i will soon find out whent to menorca in may and am now going to book to go with them again to majorca in 3weeks time. going for a week £802 for the 3 of us yep we are flying out of edinburgh and back in to newcastle.but thats no probb as i live right in the middle so here goes it may be my last time with direct holidays you never know
First time we went with Direct Holidays was this year to Lanzarote, I couldn't fault any aspect of the holiday other than personal events which took place. I will certainly use them again, infact I've already booked up with them for next year. :lol:
Nice to here you got the service you paid for. Previously I have used and recommended Direct many times but I`m afraid that this will be the last time, I no longer have confidence in them. As I type this I should have been 1hour into my flight which has been moved 11hours 55 mins. both ends and this is a flight change for the whole of the summer not a one off. They blame the flight company but are selling next summer at the early flight times which we had booked for this year. Quite simply their reply to me was that everything was covered by the small print and you would be surprised just what that allows them to do to your booking. Buyer beware.
WELL i am sure you said the same thimg back in july and if right your reply to me was wait until you have a probb. well i have been with them again 3weeks ago to benni and what a great holiday yes delayed 5hours going out but that was monarch not direct holidays. and i am going again next year with them hope you have a nice holiday when you do get away

the fatboy
:x :x hi,just got my tickets to ibiza,thats the good news,the bad news is theyve changed the flight times to 06.10 from 08.30 making these a night flight in my book so therefore it should be cheaper..no warning about the change,just printed on the ticket.wouldnt normally be to bothered but my dads 86 and specifically didnt want a nite flight we have to check in at 04.40 so leave home at 2. not impressed. mo
I was checking the direct holidays website yesterday for a cheap last minute holiday at the end of the month. I have now looked again this morning as I was about to make the booking and it has gone up in price. How can they put the price of a late deal up?

I have got the print outs of the prices with the date on the bottom and was wondering if anyone has had something similar happen. There is a direct holidays shop in town and I was wondering if anyone knew if I took it in they would price match it?
Unfortunatly this happens all the time with all travel companies, as people look and cost particular holidays this is noted on the company computer and the price may go up as there is more interest shown in a particular holiday.
The same thing applies when you go in to a high street travel agent and they check a holiday for you, not daft these tour operators :wink:

One of our friends is a travel agent and she had explained this to us and she also mentioned that the best time to book a last minute deal was approx 2 weeks before departure as the price goes up a bit again near the departure date :shrug

It is certainly worth going in to the DH shop with your print out and ask them to match it, make it clear that if they match the cost you will book it.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Graham
I called the shop and asked and they said they couldn't match the price.

I left it until lunch time today and to my surprise it had gone down so I booked it.

It therefore went from £538 yesterday without meals and transfer to £578 this morning without meals & transfer to £438 with meals at lunch time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.