Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi pippa, head down over the wheel and head oop North, once you get an unpleasant pong turn right and you will be close.
Correct, but dont forget if you can, right arm out of the drivers window, if travelling down a one way street keep right to avoid oncoming traffic. the pong site is where you see all the seagulls flying away from.
I have to say that the times we have visited the Coastline before there has been no smell. We have friends who have been numerous times (in the summer months too) and they also have not had a problem with a smell.

As I said, we do know where the Coastline is just wanted a few sensible directions from the airport.

Pippa
Pippa, I would suggest you follow the signs for Qawra first of all, then head from there to the Coastline down the coast road.
a few sensible directions from the airport.
:lol:

The above sounds about right for Maltese driving standards :rofl but just for you Pippa, from the airport, follow signs for Valetta, after which follow directions for Gozo, and then for St Paul's Bay. The Coastline Hotel is at the end of the coast road.

If you want more detailed directions click HERE

You are correct about the smell from Maghtab landfill site, the site closed a few years ago and the whole area is going to be transformed in to a national park, a German company won a competition last year to design the new park.
Thank you very much - those directions are exactly what I was looking for.

We have driven in Malta before!!

Pippa
We have driven in Malta before!!

Then surely that means you knew that geographically Salina is to the North of Malta ? and as you would also know that Malta is so small then I was surprised you needed such precise directions when all one needs to do is head towards St Pauls Bay from Luqa for 20 minutes or so if that.

Regards
Sliema2
Or you could go the scenic south way in thirty minutes or so. :roll:
K/G Do you know of any planned activities this German company have for the park, I would suggest an annual Ping Pong event could be staged. :yuck
Or indeed the watery way via Filfla

Excellent idea Sliema2, Pippa could have a 2 centre holiday, a week at the exclusive 6* spa resort on Filfla, wondering around the magnificent grounds and watching the many varieties of exotic bird species, followed by a week at the Coastline :wink
I spent a week there one day and really enjoyed the pony trekking. we went flydrive all-in. :roll:
Yes, Sliema I do know that Salina Bay is in the north of the island. I just didn't know if there was one better route than another from the airport.

I wish I hadn't started this topic now - thank goodness for kitman-graham who managed to answer my question in a polite manner.

Pippa
pippa, I dont think sleima2 was unpolite, in fact his direction advise was very accurate, apart from maybe the right turn at the end which could have seen you submerged in the deep blue med, depending which road you finished up on of course. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
Hi Pippa

I just didn't know if there was one better route than another from the airport

There isn't one route that is really much better than another, personally I like the coastal route as per the directions as it is a bit quicker but you could go through the heart of the island following signs for Mosta then signs for Qawra or Bugibba and then turn right on to the coastal road at Salina.

Please forgive the light hearted banter I think it is the New Year spirit, or some other slighly stronger spirit perhaps :glynis

Anyway have a great holiday
Graham
Hi pippa,

If you read my postings you will know that we've used the Coastline several times and was there for a week during last month.

If I was driving from the airport then I'd probably head towards the University & New Hospital (Sptar Mater Dei). From there take the main road north to St Pauls bay and since you know Malta then a short diversion along the coast road takes you straight to the Coastline.

By the way we always go to the Coastline cause we simply adore the smell of Mount Maghtab and we just can't wait to return for that gorgeous horrible pong!!! :mrgreen:

Actually I just cannot remember the last time there was even the vaguest smell at this brilliant hotel. Might even go again next month just to be sure there's no pong!! :lol:
Trev
Thanks everyone - I think we will opt for the quickest route. We are likely to be a little tired - we have a 7.15am flight from Gatwick and we live 90 miles from the airport! All this on a January morning!!!

It is about 5 years since we stayed at the Coastline so we are really looking forward to it.

Pippa
Do you require instruction on getting to Gatwick, now there I can really help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.